XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

No power and slow shifting? RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 10:48 AM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default No power and slow shifting? RESOLVED

Hello, i have had my car in the garage over the winter and while there I've flushed my gearbox because I thought it was shifting a little hard before and hade a smal loss of power, so now with new oil i gearbox and engine, new cooler and water pump it was time for the premier tour of the year, but something's wrong, the car almost don't accelerate at all if i give it full throttle, i will link a video here of this. But overall it's shifting long and weird, won't shift at all if i have the pedal maxed down need to let it go for the transmission to shift, and also there is really like no power at all? What could be the cause of this? Have new sparkplugs as well, and all the other things around ignition, fuel filters and so on are new since last summer.

Best regards!

Old 04-02-2021, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Is your transmission fluid level correct? how are you measuring it? What type of fluid did you fill it with?

Larry

Old 04-02-2021, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence
Is your transmission fluid level correct? how are you measuring it? What type of fluid did you fill it with?

Larry
From what I can see it's exactly how much it's supposed to be.. checked while cold and after driving the car for some kilometers and the moving the gear shifter between gears and after that looking at the level and it's as it should by what I can see. The fluid i used is an synthetic dexron 3 "Q8 Auto JK".

Old 04-02-2021, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Not absolutely sure but IMO that may be the wrong tranny fluid for your car ...have you run this stuff before?

This old car uses basic Dexron111/Mercon or equivalent, not sure the newer fluids are suitable? Anyone else you know using this stuff with no issues?

I'm no expert on transmission fluid but I wouldn't run new formulation synthetics in mine.

YMMV

Larry

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-02-2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:01 AM

Not absolutely sure but IMO that may be the wrong tranny fluid for your car ...have you run this stuff before?

This old car uses basic Dexron111/Mercon or equivalent, not sure the newer fluids are suitable? Anyone else you know using this stuff with no issues?

I'm no expert on transmission fluid but I wouldn't run new formulation synthetics in mine.

YMMV

Larry
I have no idea? I have run this in my old volvo with no problem, and what I read dexron III was suitable for jaguar so thought this would be good?

Old 04-03-2021, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member

I don't believe this fluid is a dexron111/mercon equivalent, it seems to be equivalent to mercon V which was introduced in 1996?

Anyway, let someone else chime in on the subject, I'm just guessing here. Seems to me though that things were OK before you added this stuff so perhaps the remaining fluid in the torque converter and this fluid didn't mix/weren't compatible with each other?

That's all I've got, hopefully one of the other members have a suggestion.

Larry

Old 04-03-2021, 02:42 AM

I don't believe this fluid is a dexron111/mercon equivalent, it seems to be equivalent to mercon V which was introduced in 1996?

Anyway, let someone else chime in on the subject, I'm just guessing here. Seems to me though that things were OK before you added this stuff so perhaps the remaining fluid in the torque converter and this fluid didn't mix/weren't compatible with each other?

That's all I've got, hopefully one of the other members have a suggestion.

Larry
Said in the mechanic book i got that it should be Dexron typ II but guessed that III would work then? I did an flush of the whole system so it's all new oil inside.
Hmm yeah i hope so too, thanks!

Old 04-03-2021, 02:59 AM

Hmm was sitting i the car now and tried to rev it while in park, it would rev past 3000 rpm and sounds like it having a hard time even getting there as well. I have a fuel pressure meter on the motor and the pressure is around 2.5-3 bara so it's alright, what could this be?

Really sounds like the engine is working against it self somehow, can't rev over 3000 while in neutral or while driving it almost seems like?

edit. While giving it full throttle from stop the engine stals and nothing happens, either than that no power, could this be clogged exhaust?

I'm giving it a little gas in this video but nothing more happens

Last edited by Simon Johansson; 04-03-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:37 AM
Default Fixed!

I located the fault, it's was the cat-converter that had broken on the inside, cut a hole in both and emptied them, the car have never been running this good, the acceleration and shifting is amazing, so happy i found what was causing this :-)

It sounds amazing also btw!

Happy easter!

The following 2 users liked this post by Simon Johansson:
Don B (04-06-2021), Lawrence (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Well done Simon!

Larry

Old 04-06-2021, 10:07 PM
Received 13,424 Likes on 6,622 Posts

Great diagnosis, Simon!

Our Jags are getting to the age where we'll probably see more and more cat failures. Your resolution will help others know to check their cats. I'm going to mark your thread RESOLVED.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
MountainMan (04-22-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 02:20 AM

Thanks! Yes exactly and checking the cat-converters aren't the first thing you do, read on some forum about one or two who had the problem there, and had the same problem with another car myself so was worth a check, and because I have checked everything else and the most of the ignition and fuel related stuff was newly changed and was it running great at idle so im glad i found the problem at least :-)

Old 04-09-2021, 04:50 AM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Your car looks to be a 3.6 model from the image.
Dexron 3 is supposedly compatible, but I still use Dexron 2 on my lot, since it’s still easily available (in the U.K.) and usually quote a bit less expensive than D3!

will your car still pass US emission regulations with the Cats gone?
I have not had any broken cats on any of my lot, but speaking to some other owners, they have noted the cats “glowing red” with heat! I take it you didn’t notice that on yours?

UK 3.6 models do not have Cats, thankfully, only from 1991 models onwards are they usually found. I have decatted one of my 4.0 cars though and it’s not had any emissions issues to date.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Naki
Your car looks to be a 3.6 model from the image.
Dexron 3 is supposedly compatible, but I still use Dexron 2 on my lot, since it’s still easily available (in the U.K.) and usually quote a bit less expensive than D3!

will your car still pass US emission regulations with the Cats gone?
I have not had any broken cats on any of my lot, but speaking to some other owners, they have noted the cats “glowing red” with heat! I take it you didn’t notice that on yours?

UK 3.6 models do not have Cats, thankfully, only from 1991 models onwards are they usually found. I have decatted one of my 4.0 cars though and it’s not had any emissions issues to date.
Seems to work good with Dexron III!
don't know how the values on the emissions will be but I guess I'll see when I get to that.
I'm located in Sweden and here vara over 30 years old classes as a veteran car and they have not so though emission regulation as newer cars, they also only need to to a car inspection every second year and there is no law to use winter tires :-)

Didn't see any glowing, but didn't really look for it either, had some rattling noice that i guess was the ceramic in the cat-converter that was loose and it's gone now as well.

I think here in Sweden models from -88 and forward have cat-converters by law!

Old 04-13-2021, 02:33 PM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, interesting. Well, it sounds you have your issue under control now.
Since your old car laws are relaxed, it would not be too difficult to remove the old cat completely. One less problem to deal with on the future.

I have parts here if you need anything,

Old 04-15-2021, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Naki
Ok, interesting. Well, it sounds you have your issue under control now.
Since your old car laws are relaxed, it would not be too difficult to remove the old cat completely. One less problem to deal with on the future.

I have parts here if you need anything,
I just cut the side of the cat-converters open and emptied them then welded it together again, don't really think it's a need to remove them completely, but yes everything work great now :-)