XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Noise from the fuel pump......

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noise from the fuel pump......

Okay. After having the Injectors cleaned I have run the car and found that the fuel pump is making a loud noise again, confused I decided to push the car a little....
So crossing the Howard Franklin I hit the gas peddle and she got upto about 89..... then stopped accelerating
After I took my foot off the peddle I was presented with a wonderful message:
Fueiling Failier. (will check tomorrow and note any vcm codes). Im also getting a strong smell of fuel when I try to accelerate hard.

So Im guessing that my clean but not so clean fuel filter might be the culprit. Two things occure to me....
Restricted fuel flow would cause deadheading in the pump... a terminal event if left untreated, that can cause noice.
Restricted fuel flow would impead the cars acceleration.

Further more... if I replace the fuel filter and the noise continues but the acceleration returns, I could also specualte that the pressure regulator might also be an issue. In that the motor is getting enough fuel, but at low demand the pump is unable to push liquid again.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:18 AM
Received 10,589 Likes on 6,994 Posts

OK, my thoughts in NO particular order.

Yes, restricted flow via the filter or piping etc will give strain to the pump and noise will be heard.

Restricted RETURN flow will cause similar issues, BUT overfueling of the engine usually is first on the list, coz fuel rail pressure will go thru the roof, NOT your issues I dont think, but worth mentioning coz I can.

The fuel regulator should be changed, coz I think you had gunge in the tank, and that may have got to the regulator and buggered it somewhat. Good old fashioned "old age" is now a very real issue with these items on these cars.

On our S2 V12 we had all sorts of issues weaaaaaaaaay back, and eventually found the clowns that fitted the tyres, just before the problems started, had raised the car without using the jacking points and crushed the fuel supply line, so a simple graft of a piece of EFI hose and some clamps and all sweet, still in place today, no issues.

A fuel pressure test is going to be needed to find out what is going on, and then a "flow test", as in so many litres per minute flow rate confirmed. My notes have a spec of ABOUT 3litres per minute for that external pump. So drop the supply hose from the filter into a 5 litre empty oil container and if its a tad more than half full after a minute, the flow is deemed to be OK. I know this is an unloaded test, but it will prove the pumps integrity to a point.

A blocked exhaust or cats will also cause engine issues, particularly at the "top end".

Fuel tank venting, or lack of, can cause noise and performance issues. Take off the filler cap, go for a blast and see if ANYTHING changes, costs nothing to cross it off the list, mmmm.

There will be other ideas, and all of them will be assisting tracking this.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-22-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:11 PM

So on the way home I had a fuel pump cutout.
Not much fun...
Then after that it wouldnt push more than 2.1k rpm.
Soo... swap the fuel pump again.

As for my fueling warning....... no number. Just the words. Stabbing the VCM button doesnt do much at all.
Speculating here....
The only place there seems to be anything resembling a sencor is the pressure regulator. There seesm to be a vacume tube (?) running from it. Maybe warning the system when the fuel pressure gets too low when afore mentioned pump starts to crap out and cant push fuel anymore... perhaps.

I visualy checked the lines, but it cant hurt to do it again I guess.

Good thing it, the pumps new so I have warrenty on it. lol.

-* edit *-
Well, this afternoon I installed a filter between the pump and the tank... But Iv not had time to test it yet. Bloody florida weather. Hot enough to boil a monkies bum by day.... forked lightening and wet stuff by evening... :-\
I think I need to re-inspect the line between the pump and filter though.

Last edited by AdrianSw; 07-23-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:37 AM

You are thinking as I am.

I reckon you got muck still getting into that pump, and an aftermarket filter in that suction line can do NO harm. I have run one in the 1/2" line of the XJ-S for years, and only as a safeguard, coz the tanks are new.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 PM

Well, filter installed.
Its a reduction from 1/2 to 3/8 through the filter. I dont see that causing a huge problem. But if it does I can easily swap it out for a 1/2 paper filter.
In the five minutes of running it I saw a lot of rust particles in the filter.

I did take the time to install a cutoff valve on the feed line. After some hunting I found a 1/2 cutoff at home depot. Now I can easily shut off the feed line from the tank then start playing with the pump and filter. No more getting doused in fuel when Im under the car! :-)

I washed out the pump. Seesm to be running fine and the amount of noise doesnt seem to be as much as before. I think I caught it before any real damage was done. But we will see.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM

After a small panic.. I got it running.

To try and collect any large debris from the fuel tank I installed onec of these:
Buy Spectre Fuel Filter Clearview Universal Chrome 2369 at Advance Auto Parts_____

This should catch any large crud and prevent it from entering the pump and causeing failier. Im really surprised that the Jag doesnt have a screen in the fuel line somewhere in the first place.
Ill run it two days with this, then clean it out.
After a quick run around the block, theres already a lot of rust in it....
Im hoping that after a few weeks of this, Ill have most of the rust cleaned and out of the system. I just gotta remeber to keep the fuel tank more than half full for now....
The good thing is, I can shut the fuel off and clean the screen anywhere. Just need a jack, 7mm socket and 2 13mm wrenches. :-)

The minor panic??.
Well, I started the car up and saw a gush of fluid poor down the strut, and drip from the muffler... Not good.
It caused me to remove and inspect the line from the pump to the main filter.... I didnt find anything too terrible. But I did find a join in the line where someone had cut and spliced the line. But its tight and dry. So no worry.
After a retest I collected a little of the liquid in my palm and sniffed....
"Huh, smells like stripper??"..
"OH!! Its the bloody power fluid!.... YEY! That means the pumps working!".

So, I have a job for another day!. Locate the hold in the hydraulic line and fix that. lol.

Todays job......
Wireing in a new sterio.... :-\

Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmm sounds like a very similar problem to mine. Sometimes the car would run fine others would not go over a certain rpm and have loss of power etc. Fuel pump chatter and engine stalling by what feels like lack of fuel.

I would test fuel pressure first. Make sure things are operating as they should. Also test the TPS, this is easy and a good check. The coolant temp sensor could be the culprit as well or part of it.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Right.
The pump is back to making loud noises.
I think these Airtex pumps just like the attention!!.
Anyway.

Having replaced and cleaned everythign else in the system I decided to test the pressure regulator....

The test involved my trusty compressor....
I already have a splice in the fuel line by the rail so it was simple. I charged the tank to 100psi, then attached the nossle and slowly increased the pressure in the system to 40psi.... Nada. Then slowly increased the pressure gradualy. At about 75psi, there was a thud from under the car, and a whoosh of fuel shot out of the filler hole for the tank! (i had removed the cap in anticipation of a pressure event).
After quickly removing the fuel from the paintwork, I retested again. This time slowly taking it upto 40psi, and again slowly increasing the pressure. I got to about 45psi before I herd air rushing past the regulator valve... :-)

Running the car I attacked the pump with an object of large mass, "Tapping" it repeatedly . This didnt scilence the pump but did reduce the noise and after running the car the loude noise did not return as it had in the past. But Im still worried that the potential damage has already occured.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:45 AM

Mmmmmmm.

Not aware of that brand down here. We have one particular brand that I know of that is Cr%^p on any day, but NO names for obvious reasons.

I only use Bosch, Goss, or at a pinch, Fuel Miser, on any car. Bosch or Goss ONLY on Jaguars, and never had any real issues that could be blamed on the pump quality.

That psi of the regulator sound about "right" for 45psi WITHOUT vac supply to alter it as designed. My HE V12 is 42psi without the vac supply, and I reckon the AJ6 is slightly higher???.

Reading what you did, I reckon you got a sticking regulator needle, and it is overloading the pump and the system, apart from the fact you may have a dud pump by brand??.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I must have the same Airtex in my car. It was the cheapest I could find. It almost always makes a racket but right before it craps out it makes a horrid noise. From what I read no other car forums Airtex is pretty bottom of the barrel and many report having to replace after 6 mo to a year.

I have had the pump for about a year now...

My fuel pressures were fine and the regulator worked well too. I actually replaced the Bosch in my car for the Airtex(thinking the Bosch was bad) causing the breakdowns. I know this isint true.

The sticking needle could be the culrpit now that you mention it. My old regulator was broken and gas got sucked through the suction line. There was also a broken elbow where the suction tees off to the air pump and cruize control right there.

I replaced the regulator with as cheap as I could find one. I am really tempted to go buy a new Bosch regulator and pump.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianSw
Okay. After having the Injectors cleaned I have run the car and found that the fuel pumps is making a loud noise again, confused I decided to push the car a little....
So crossing the Howard Franklin I hit the gas peddle and she got upto about 89..... then stopped accelerating
After I took my foot off the peddle I was presented with a wonderful message:
Fueiling Failier. (will check tomorrow and note any vcm codes). Im also getting a strong smell of fuel when I try to accelerate hard.

So Im guessing that my clean but not so clean fuel filter might be the culprit. Two things occure to me....
Restricted fuel flow would cause deadheading in the pump... a terminal event if left untreated, that can cause noice.
Restricted fuel flow would impead the cars acceleration.

Further more... if I replace the fuel filter and the noise continues but the acceleration returns, I could also specualte that the pressure regulator might also be an issue. In that the motor is getting enough fuel, but at low demand the pump is unable to push liquid again.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
i do believe you need to replace the fuel filter considering the fact that it will make you motor normal again and will definitely reduced the noise that came from your fuel filter.

regards,

james

Old 08-31-2011, 04:41 PM

Well, its been a while. But the fuel issue has not returned.
The pump is still making noise, but I belive this is simply a symptom of running it under load before I cleared the pressure regulator.
Acceleration returned to where it was (transmition needs attention now) and applying the gas peddle can get her upto 85 - 90 mph happily. However, I dont wana go faster than that until I replace the rear tires... lol.