XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Ongoing repairs list and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 08:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Ongoing repairs list and questions.

Instead of asking a bunch of questions in different threads, I thought I would just make a general repair post to ask for help and keep track of the ongoing repairs for my 1990 XJ-6 Sovereign. Please feel free to comment on anything.

Current status and questions:
1. There is no display on the stereo, and the lighting in the stereo is not working. Is this common and are the bulbs hard to replace?

2. Heater controls have no back lighting either. Again, any tricks to replacing the bulbs, assuming that's the issue?

3. I've got a slow drain on the panel one 7.5amp fuse at C2. This controls the trunk light, hood lights, interior lights and puddle lights. When I install a fuse here, the trunk light works as it should. None of the other lights seem to work at all. I have a wiring diagram to work from, but is there a routing diagram for the wiring? It would be a lot easier to troubleshoot if I knew where the wires went.

4. l believe my XJ-6 has a self levelling suspension. Are there any posts (I can't find any) describing how the system works? I assume that the easiest test is to sit on the rear bumper and see if the car lifts itself up to compensate for the added weight. I'm pretty sure the system is disabled, but I don't know how that would have been accomplished. The car definitely rides like it needs the rear shock absorbers replaced. Also, if you have self levelling suspension, what happens when you jack up the car? Do you need to disable the system first?

5. Does anyone have any photos or diagrams on how the fuel door release lever is mounted? Mine is broken, but I don't see how it would have mounted in the first place. Are there replacement parts available? I do have a 3D printer that could reproduce the part if I could get measurements from a good part.

6. There is no tire sizes shown on the drivers door jamb. I know the tires on the car now are oversized. How do I find the correct size for my car? I see 205/70R15 and 215/70R15 listed at some websites.

7. My wheels are missing the center caps/hub cap. Is there a way to identify which ones I would need to use on my car? (Photo's in this thread) Would replacing the wheels be a better option, considering the age/condition of the current ones?

8. I will be replacing the oil pressure sensor sometime soon. Looks like it will be a fun job.

Last edited by Calab; 02-25-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:56 AM

This is the wheels that I have on my car currently:

Old 02-25-2023, 06:53 PM
Received 8,178 Likes on 4,934 Posts

SLS was the XJ40 'nightmare'. (we were plagued by this for decades at the dealer and repair shops)
Good luck.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-28-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
SLS was the XJ40 'nightmare'. (we were plagued by this for decades at the dealer and repair shops)
Good luck.
Thanks! Some very good information there. Tells me all I need to know to figure out just what I have here and what is going on with it.

With some luck, the SLS will have already been deleted and I just need new rear shocks.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:54 AM

Got a few things done...

Friday I drove 500 miles, round trip, to get the windshield in my Jag replaced. Nobody in Canada (at least Alberta) could find a replacement windshield, except from Jaguar. Replacement cost would have been $1900 + tax. OUCH! Took some advice from here and called SafeLite down in Great Falls, MT, USA. They had one, but they wouldn't install it due to the age of the car. I paid for it and found a place a couple blocks away (Speedy Auto Glass) that could do the install. Drove the Jag down, got the windshield fixed with no issues at all, and drove back - with some shopping in between. Total cost was about $550 CAD. I also picked up about $400 worth of car parts that were waiting for me at the border.

9am and I already accomplished something on my car today. Designed and 3D printed some license plate inserts for the trunk on my Jag. Got the plate mounted and it feels secure. Much better than the piece of wire I was using.

Later today, changing out the struts that hold up the hood.

The following 3 users liked this post by Calab:
Don B (02-28-2023), Lawrence (02-26-2023), motorcarman (03-07-2023)