XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Part interchangeability transmission module

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Part interchangeability transmission module

I have a 1991 XJ6 sovereign. I'm changing out the transmission module. The one presently in the car is Bosch # 0 260 002 141 ZF0501 004 012 DBC6162. The module that I like to replace it with has the same Bosch # but different ZF & DBC numbers. The replacement numbers are ZF0501 003 917, DBC6328. I was lead to believe I can interchange these two parts. Is this true?

Thanks,
Keith

Old 01-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Received 13,186 Likes on 6,548 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbb6644
I have a 1991 XJ6 sovereign. I'm changing out the transmission module. The one presently in the car is Bosch # 0 260 002 141 ZF0501 004 012 DBC6162. The module that I like to replace it with has the same Bosch # but different ZF & DBC numbers. The replacement numbers are ZF0501 003 917, DBC6328. I was lead to believe I can interchange these two parts. Is this true?

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

If you search both those part numbers at jaguarmerriamparts.com, they both supercede to LMA2400AA, which suggests that you can interchange those modules.

What symptoms are prompting you to swap the TCM? Do you have the transmission warning lamp illuminated and the transmission is locked in 3rd gear (Limp Home Mode)? What other diagnostics have you done?

Also, since we're a friendly bunch around here, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can give you a proper welcome and learn something about you and your Jag.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (01-17-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Don, I appreciate the info. Yes my transmission limp mode light is on. I recently bought this car and it had an interior water leak in the passenger compartment. I found where the leak was coming from. The cowling drain was plugged up and filling with water and draining thru the climate control duct on the passenger side drenching the electronics. I pulled the transmission module and opened it up and found corrosion on the chips inside the module. I'm taking a SWAG and changing out the muddle to see if it corrects the problem. My limp mode is intermittent. Some weeks it works fine. Other times it stays on constantly. Right now it's been staying on. I've already swapped out the transmission relay under the dash which did nothing to remedy the problem. I hope the replacement module works. If not, I'll be back on the forum for help.
I'll be sure to visit the new members area

Thanks again,
Keith

Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Received 13,186 Likes on 6,548 Posts

Hi Keith,

Given the water in your TCM you're right to suspect it as the source of your Limp Home Mode (LHM), so if you can replace it without spending too much, it would be worth ruling it out. I found a starved solder joint on the circuit board of our TCM and reflowing the solder restored its functionality. See the photos at the link below:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

On our '93, the most common cause of LHM has been oil contamination of the electrical connector for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). On our car, the connector is mounted on a bracket fixed to the intake manifold just to the left of the throttle body. A plastic tab pries out a little to release the connector from the bracket, then you separate the halves of the connector and flush them out with zero-residue electrical contact cleaner spray. To help protect the connector from future contamination, put a little dielectric grease on the outside of the smaller plastic half of the connector before reconnecting the halves. Do not put dielectric grease on the metal terminals themselves because you don't want to add any resistance that could throw off the voltage signal received by the Engine Control Module (ECM).

Another common cause of LHM is oil contamination of the TPS, which is mounted directly below the throttle body. Oil inhaled into the air intake from the crankcase breathing system can drain right down into the TPS and add significant resistance. Many of us have drilled drain holes and flushed the TPS out with contact cleaner spray. See the photos below:

The Transmission Warning Light troubleshooting procedure from the Jag-Lovers eBook is very thorough and will help you isolate the problem. You just need a digital multi-meter and some time. Just reading the procedure may help you rule out some possibilities.

Jag-lovers' Ebooks

Below are links to photos of some of components you can check and clean:

I hope some this info is helpful. Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (01-05-2015)