XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Is it possible to repair the wires in abs wheel sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 06:14 AM
Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Is it possible to repair the wires in abs wheel sensor?

For quite a long time the speedo in my 1994 XJ6 has not functioned. I am very sure it is a problem with the rear abs wheel sensor as I have disconnected the wiring junction in the trunk to test it for continuity with an ohmmeter. Since there was zero continuity across the two terminals in the plug, I figure there is a break in the wires inside the sensor loom that leads from the plug in the trunk, along the rear edge on the rear trailing arm and terminating at the actual sensor head in the hub. So I have tried taking the 6mm bolt out of the rear hub to try to remove the sensor from the hub but after removing the bolt, the head of the sensor is firmly stuck in the aluminum hub body.

What I am wondering is if anyone has ever attempted repairing the sensor wires that run from the wiring junction in the trunk, along the rear edge of the trailing arm terminating at the actual sensor head in the hub. I would like to do this without having to actually remove the sensor assembly from the car. Are the wires in that loom just standard wires or is it a kind of coax cable?

Any experience, advice or actual repair success information would be most appreciated.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I think you'll be the pioneer on this Steve!
Anyway, if I was in your position I'd try sistering the cable, in other words run some new wires alongside the old. You'll have to cut the wires at the sensor and solder on the new ones, but that's not a big deal as it isn't working anyway. Those sensors are impossible to get out in one piece in my experience.
If the sensor itself is the problem, I think I saw a post in the archive somewhere about using an aftermarket sensor and modifying it so the depth agrees with our hubs etc. OEM sensors are super overpriced compared to other cars AFAIK.

good luck

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-19-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 01:58 PM
Received 474 Likes on 273 Posts

Larry is correct, even with the hub on a bench you'd struggle to remove that sucker without destroying it. I think cable itself wont be your issue, I suspect if you remove little bolt and wiggle top of the sensor you'll find out that the top is snapped off and its only holding on the little bolt. Its a weak point with these, there are two tiniest pins that stick out from the body of the sensor there and to be honest I'm surprised that they last that long anyway.
Of course its best to take off insulation at the sensor and check cable for continuity but like I said I'm pretty certain it will be fine and at this point get a replacement. I think sensor Larry is talking about was for an Audi, you should be able to search the X300 forum for the model number. It needs a few spacers to clear the reluctor ring and an extra hole in the hob to hold it in place(or a fancy spacer) but it will work.

The following 2 users liked this post by katar83:
Don B (03-19-2022), Lawrence (03-19-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 02:04 PM
Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Hi ,it is a co;ax wire coming from the sensor. What I did was snip the wire close to the sensor,and test the sensor itself. Raise that wheel and test for voltage coming from the sensor. The corrosion factor from the ally hub tends to squeeze the life out of the sensor.The way to extract the sensor in one piece is to pull out the axle stub and push the sensor out from the inside.
If it is only a wiring repair,carefully solder in a new bit of co;ax wire.
Worked for me,hope this helps,cheers,Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by manwich66:
Don B (03-19-2022), Lawrence (03-19-2022)