XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Question about the steering rack in -91

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 04:59 AM
Kay
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Question about the steering rack in -91

Back here again, My kitten has a small leak in the steering rack. I believe I will end needing to replace it in the end, but the real question is that since they have used two versions (adwest and ZF) how do I tell them apart?

And secondary question is that could I use ZF rack anyhow to replace the old one and would there be any real benefits in that change.

(I will not do the work myself, but before I go to my trusted guys to do the work I will want to find out what part to take with me and to be prepared to give them additional info if that is needed and handy)

That smiley is so correct about this forum!

The following users liked this post:
Cinny65 (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Kay,

The adwest rack was fitted to the '88s and '89s, the ZF to models that followed. There should be a identification plate located on the rack to confirm this.

Both racks are interchangeable and both racks have their pros and cons when it comes to reliability, the only real difference being that the ZF is self centering whereas the adwest isn't. The self centering just makes for easier installation over the adwest. The various racks do however have different pinion ratios depending on the VIN. Again this doesn't make a lot of difference.

Have you had a look to see where your rack is leaking? Sometimes a leak is due to a faulty 'o' ring on one of the hydraulic lines. An easy fix without having to pull the rack.

A little tip before you go to the expense of getting a new rack is to put in a bottle or two of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. It can take a week or two to work but it can eliminate alot of leaks from the rack to keep you on the road. It won't eliminate heavy fluid losses though like the type you might get with a split fluid hose. I actually prefer the feel of this fluid in my system over normal power steering fluid. It's firmer and a lot more precise without increasing input effort.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jagfix38:
93SB (05-28-2014), Don B (05-27-2014), Kay (05-28-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Received 12,943 Likes on 6,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Kay
Back here again, My kitten has a small leak in the steering rack. I believe I will end needing to replace it in the end, but the real question is that since they have used two versions (adwest and ZF) how do I tell them apart?

And secondary question is that could I use ZF rack anyhow to replace the old one and would there be any real benefits in that change.

(I will not do the work myself, but before I go to my trusted guys to do the work I will want to find out what part to take with me and to be prepared to give them additional info if that is needed and handy)
Hi Kay,

Jagfix38 has given you some excellent input, and I echo his suggestion that you identify exactly where the fluid is leaking before spending money on a new rack and installation. As he mentioned, it may be something as simple as an O-ring, or the low pressure hose between the fluid reservoir and the pump (a very common leak point - the hose hardens due to its proximity to the hot exhaust and the rubber loses its ability to seal at the reservoir and pump fittings).

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (05-28-2014), Kay (05-28-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep, as Don rightly points out, the hoses can also be the culprit of many a leak.

When I first got my cat I found one of my hoses (rack to cooler) was cut through by the air con compressor due to how close the two are in the engine bay. I also had the metal crimps on the high pressure hose give out due to age. New replacement hoses fixed my initial leak for a couple of years before the 'o' rings on the other hydraulic lines started to give way. That's when I used the Power Steering Stop leak and so far it's saved me the hassle of installing a replacement rack.

I also went to an industrial hydraulic supply shop and obtained some lengths of heat and abrasion resistant sleeving and fitted it to my new hoses to reduce the likelihood of ever having to replace them again. Silver heat shield can also be used but it's not abrasion resistant like the good commercial stuff.

If you do end up having to change out your rack for a replacement, make sure that it has brand spanking new rack (to chassis) bushes installed. Old ones just cause the steering to wander and tramline.

The following users liked this post:
Kay (05-28-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 AM
Kay
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi,

Thank you guys for the input, thing is that I have not been under the car myself, it was marked as of "needs repair" in last years inspection (all cars are needed to take that in local DMV in Finland).

And my mechanic said about it last fall again as he had it up, now I have some additive there to help to stop the leak. Anyhow, I will try and get under the car and take few pics of the leak are and so on soonish so I can figure out shall I really need to get a new part.

Kay