XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

radio/antenna went 1/2 way down ..radio DEAD!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up radio/antenna went 1/2 way down ..radio DEAD!!

howzit all!
what a great forum ,so helpful w/ everyone very forthcoming w/info to assist others,really enlightening experience !

would someone be so kind as to hear my story and see if you can help me w/my only real issue w/my xj40 ..
all worx great but last nite when I turned ignition off the antenna did not go all the way down and now the radio wont come on , whats the cause? I checked the fuse panel for the red 10A fuse but its fine .
Do I have a faulty antenna as I noticed before when I turn the radio on the antenna comes up then the radio comes on .
Is this correct?

love my car and will be happy to post some pix .
All black w/tan leather and I covered w/authentic sheep shearling covers for comfort and protection since the seats are perfect I'd like to keep them that way .
I have some noise in rear but believe I have that already traced thru this awesome forum to the rear output shaft bearings and seals so fun starts soon as it appears to be quite simple w/proper tools.
It fits well w/my HD's ,scooters and my electric nissan pickup .
Its my driver but sure like it better w/sounds coming out of the speakers for appeasement not to mention knocks down the dreadful output shaft noises,lol!

Will the shaft bearings be ok a short while till funds are available to get it replaced or will she hurt herself w/out immediate attention ?

THANX SO VERY MUCH !!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:59 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It could be a couple of things. As you will see owning this car, we all check the easy things first. There is a little rubber belt inside the antenna motor that probably broke. The motor needs to come out and be taken apart to find that out. I have those belts if you need them and several work antenna motors as well. Best of luck.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

appreciate that mtr,will address it straightaway,
all the best ,
will

Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrtalkradio
Welcome to the forum. It could be a couple of things. As you will see owning this car, we all check the easy things first. There is a little rubber belt inside the antenna motor that probably broke. The motor needs to come out and be taken apart to find that out. I have those belts if you need them and several work antenna motors as well. Best of luck.
What is your price range on the belts and whole unit?

Mine acts up all the time. I took it apart, and cleaned it real good.