XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Ready to throw in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

JT it was good to see you back to give us an update. As for the broken and cracked wood, if I had my shop I would make it for you. If you are unable to find one I should have my shop up and running in about 10 months and we can do it then.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes its broken and cracked. Let me know when you are up and running.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

JT, I am not going to hijack your thread because I am mighty pleased that you seem to be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

And that is great news.

But, for Gus, are you looking at re-laminating onto the metal substrate, or vacuum shaping a ply base? (ski slopes).

I can see a ready market there.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have worked with veneers before many years ago with success. I would try this for JT 1- because I think it would be fun to get into it again and 2- it would be a challenge to reproduce the same finish. I have worked with lacquer but not sure about the car applications. I made a solid walnut shifter knob for my xj6 and used spray lacquer on it and it worked well. All In all I think it would be fun to do.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor

Blower motor just started working for no apparent reason? It's not a fuse. I'll lay odds on a glitch that the early XJ40's had in the climate controls.
it was fixed on later models by addition of a capacitor soldered into the wiring on the back of the control panel. You'll see this referenced in other threads, but no one seems to know where the capacitor goes. The Haynes manual addresses the fix and lists a factory part # for the capacitor and says the instructions for installation are included with the part. Some have told us in the threads that the instructions are NOT included. Just so you know, my '88 XJ40 does the same thing - it'll work fine for a while, the not work at all for a while, and sometimes, it'll work intermittently from day to day...I just don't know. My plan is to find a '90-'94 version in the wrecking yard to compare wiring. Good luck. Like you, I love the ride of these big Jaguars.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 PM

BigAlum - I realized the fuse was not the issue when the fan started up again. I have to figure which system 1 fuse popped.

***Update***

I got the car back from the upholstery shop. The headliner came out wonderful. I was missing the entire piece from the sunroof and where the over head lights near the windshield use to hang down, is now tight to the roof again.

I will be taking full pictures of the car this week and posting them.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

JT,

Take a photo of the wood section you need to have reproduced.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 AM

Gus,

You got it.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

good to hear an update and some progress...I've been following this miniseries for awhile now

Old 02-22-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
good to hear an update and some progress...I've been following this miniseries for awhile now
Is that miniseries or my misery's?

Pictures to follow tomorrow. It was a busy day today at work and I didn't get a chance to clean the Jag and go for a photo shoot.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Two steps forward, one step back...

I went to take the XJ40 for a photo shoot at the local ball park and I never made it. After 3 miles of driving, it sputtered chugged then stalled. It would not run after that. $50 tow back to my building and a hour later it started. It idles fine but when you give it gas, it stutters and wants to stall again.

The sad thing is it ran well a few weeks ago when I brought it to the interior guy to do the headliner. It had a slight hesitation when I gave it gas at a certain RPM every once in a while but it was not a constant thing. I figured it needed to be driven and blown out. It has fresh fuel.

Any thoughts? Maybe it needs a fuel filter? It has been off the road for a total of two years now with me playing around with it and I maybe put 50 miles on it since I bought it.

I am leaning highly towards putting a for sale sign on the car once I get this running issue taken care of. I can't have a car I do not have confidence in. It seems every time I get this car one step closer, it rears its ugly head.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Quick fixes are few and far between, as you know. If your ready I'm sure we here at the forum can help assist you fix this issue as well. Depends on if your up to it or not. You have come this far. You need to know the more you run it, you may find more issue because of sitting. These cars, like all machines need to run. If it was me I try and start with the easy stuff first. Fuel injector cleaner. If that doesn't work, I would change the fuel regulator. It takes maybe 15 minutes. If you need one let me know. If that doesn't cure it, change the filter. Then on to to fuel pump. Its outside the tank by the left passenger wheel. I wish I could send you a "fix-it quick" in the mail my friend, but I can't.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by JT Burkard
Any thoughts? Maybe it needs a fuel filter? It has been off the road for a total of two years now with me playing around with it and I maybe put 50 miles on it since I bought it.
Fuel filter would be a good place to start.

It sat around for two years with whatever was in the tank. Even though you have fresh fuel, the fresh fuel would mix with whatver gunk you had in the tank. Eventually, the gunk makes it's way through the fuel line and into the filter. If the filter is doing its job, it gets clogged.

A couple of cans of injector/fuel line cleaner after the filter change might help to pick up some of the crud in the lines. Expect to change the filter again as the system cleans up after itself.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem when I got my 90 VDP on the road after it sat for 8 years. I unbolted the fuel rail, popped the injectors out and sprayed injector cleaner through them. All the pintles where clogged. To open them up I rigged up a 9 volt battery. I haven't had another stall or fuel problem since (about 9 months).

Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM

**UPDATE**

About a week ago I decided since I haven't done anything with the car as I was frustrated with it again, I dropped it off to a shop to run some diagnostics on the fuel system. Of course when I fired it up, it ran perfect, no hesitations at all when i drove it and I even laid into the throttle and she was smooth. They are going to let it run at the shop for a while and if nothing happens take it out for a few times and see if it stalls on them. I hope they can figure out what the non running issue was.

On a postivie note I ordered a new (used) passenger side sun visor as the one in the car was broken. I still want to complete this car as its now more of a mission then a simple fix'er up.

I haven't given up yet but with my new purchase of a 66 Mustang project 2 weeks ago, I may have to put this one to the side or possible let this one go if I can't get it right.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

JT Kudos to you!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Default The towel is tossed

With great regret I have to announce the sale of the XJ40. With the issues and total frustration, I decided it was time to let it go. I did get the running issue fixed (or at least I hoped) but I finally tossed that towel in. I never had confidence in the car. I was afraid if I drove it I would break down, and in the end if I can't drive the car there is no use in owning it. In over a year I only drove the car a total of maybe 50 miles.

I have a 66 Mustang that's become a full on restoration and that is taking my time, money, and effort. Plus the 'stang is infinitely easier to work on and much cheaper to get parts for. I also bought an 86 Alfa Romeo Spider that thankfully needs nothing. That's my fun summer cruiser.

The new owner is a Jag enthusiast and his uncle from what I understand is a Jaguar Technician. The perfect new owner for the car. I have great confidence its in the right hands.

I do not know if I will ever buy another one (unless its an XKE or or XK variant) but if I do, I will know to come back here. You guys have been very helpful and were the ones who kept me into this project much longer then I anticipated.

Thank you to all.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

JT, I hate to see you go but I do understand. You gave it your best shot.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

wow, the final chapter has been written on this one huh? I'm sure you'll come back to the jag family one day, its hard to let go. Pic of the alfa required before you fade away....

Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

JT: Thanks for letting us know how it all worked out. I'm only sorry that car proved to be so much frustration; but it looks as if it went to a good home! And best of luck with the Alfa. I'm rather jealous! As you probably know, "one can never consider oneself a true petrol-head until one has owned an Alfa Romeo!"
cheers,
Scott

Quick Reply: Ready to throw in the towel