XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Rear right window rolls itself down

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Rear right window rolls itself down

I went to the automatic car wash and carefully rolled my windows up. I pulled in and noticed that the machinery sounds were unusually loud. I then noticed the right rear window was down. I rolled it back up via the master switch, but it rolled itself down! At that point neither the master switch nor the switch on the door handle worked. The other windows and the sunroof open and close well. Using global close: I put the key in the passenger side lock, turned it to the left, and was able to close all of the windows and the sunroof, including the right rear window. I'm relieved that the motor still works. But when I started the car, the right rear window opened all by itself again. The fuse is fine

Old 08-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,269 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by JagIAint
I went to the automatic car wash and carefully rolled my windows up. I pulled in and noticed that the machinery sounds were unusually loud. I then noticed the right rear window was down. I rolled it back up via the master switch, but it rolled itself down! At that point neither the master switch nor the switch on the door handle worked. The other windows and the sunroof open and close well. Using global close: I put the key in the passenger side lock, turned it to the left, and was able to close all of the windows and the sunroof, including the right rear window. I'm relieved that the motor still works. But when I started the car, the right rear window opened all by itself again. The fuse is fine
First, you have not stated the model and year of your car - without that information you will not get anything more than a guess as an answer. Second, you have clearly posted in the wrong forum because none of the models represented on this forum (1969 to 1992 Series I to Series III XJ) have a global open/close provision. So...?

Old 08-16-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
First, you have not stated the model and year of your car - without that information you will not get anything more than a guess as an answer. Second, you have clearly posted in the wrong forum because none of the models represented on this forum (1969 to 1992 Series I to Series III XJ) have a global open/close provision. So...?
Sorry, I thought I had! It's a 1989 XJ6 Vandel Plas... not sure which series

Old 08-16-2019, 08:19 PM
Received 3,973 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Your jag is known as an XJ40 (XJ81). When time permits go to the new members section and introduce yourself where you will receive a warm welcome and helpful links...Good Luck.
(Just post a picture to be sure.)

The following users liked this post:
JagIAint (08-20-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,269 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Sorry, I thought I had! It's a 1989 XJ6 Vandel Plas... not sure which series
Yes, that is an "XJ40" (I know, I know....)....it is different in every respect from the models covered by this particular forum. You will get an answer in the XJ40 forum. Good luck with this interesting issue!

Old 08-17-2019, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

For sure. JagIain't had me !

1. Before reading, I was thinking, "switch".
2 Upon reading, completely mystified by stuff that my XJ wuzza six does not have or I don't know that it does !!!

Getting more and more used to seeing more. Lens replacement in my right eye, to join the one in my left eye, done months ago Wowee. Kinda like when I got my first hearing aids, decades ago. Wow, then as welll But, I am on light duty per the eye doc...

Carll

JagIAint (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 03:56 PM

Thanks, Carl, for trying to address the question. I try to do the troubleshooting myself, then I can take it to someone more competent to fix. It saves time in the auto shop when you can give the repairman a starting point.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:20 PM

Sorry to contradict you, sir, but it is 6-inline and is a XJ6. I guess my mistake must have been using the term "global open."

A passerby who stopped to help me wipe the interior dry after the the car wash fiasco suggested I try "global close" to see if I could make the rear right motor run. I assumed that "global close" was the turn-the-key-to-the-left trick, which did get the window motor running. My mistake. Sorry if I upset anyone..

Old 08-19-2019, 04:24 PM

The photo I attached is the exact same vehicle, even down to the interior/exterior color. I'm afraid to post my own photo to this tough crowd. Don't want my coordinates traced after the outrage from folks incensed that I might have posted to the wrong forum. Sheesh.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,379 Likes on 5,439 Posts

The photo I attached is the exact same vehicle, even down to the interior/exterior color. I'm afraid to post my own photo to this tough crowd. Don't want my coordinates traced after the outrage from folks incensed that I might have posted to the wrong forum. Sheesh.
It's true, we do have one or two members who are, um, somewhat less than tolerant of inexperience and mistakes.
Nearly every forum has one or two of those.
The vast majority of us, although we might misunderstand the question, only want to help.
(';')

JagIAint (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 04:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've moved I've moved your question from XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (1968-1992) to XJ40 (1986-1994) forum.

If you want help from those who know, I suggest you be less confrontational and take advice when it is offered.

Jaguar used the XJ6 badge on several different models from 1968 to 2009. That is the reason the factory, Jaguar Dealers and the forum uses the factory codes to distinguish between them. The factory code for your XJ6 is XJ40. Here is my 1986 XJ40 with the XJ6 badge on the rear.

It is a completely different vehicle from the Series I, II & III XJ6 that preceeded it and the X300 XJ6 that superseded it - all of which had the XJ6 badge.

Now let's get this thread on track and see if we can get you some answers.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
Daf11e (08-22-2019), Grant Francis (08-20-2019), JagIAint (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 808 Posts

Hi sorry to hear about your car wash unpleasantness. So, first I think your use of "global close" is actually correct. I believe I read that phrase in the owners handbook. I, too am sorry you got flamed. Anyway- your motor works. Your switches work but the window goes right back down....it seems like your problem might be the up limit switch which turns the motor off at up or down. That would be - as I recall- on the window lift mechanism... I would start just by removing that door panel and see what is in there. Maybe something got in there and is blocking the limit switch? Maybe a broken wire (seems unlikely) .... good luck! Please keep us posted.

The following 2 users liked this post by jerry_hoback:
JagIAint (08-20-2019), Lawrence (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 01:11 PM

Sorry if I was confrontational. I didn't mean to be. I was in the car wash that day because the next day I would be driving my father in my mother's funeral procession. I wanted the car to look perfect. My father is a very dignified octogenarian and he did not want to ride in his beat-up Subaru station wagon. I'm sure that you will agree that my vehicle, whatever it is, is exceptionally well suited for the sad duty I carried out. When I posted, I did hope that someone might be able to help me find a way to put the window back up, even if only temporarily.

I realize that no one on this forum had any way of knowing my circumstances, and you are all very generous to share your knowledge and skills to help me and others. I'm not very sophisticated and am no match, especially in my present mournful state, for the British sardonic wit.

I had a good outcome, even though the interior "washing" caused the sunroof headliner to detach and droop down. It looked fine after I temporarily glued it back into place and opened the sunroof.

After I waxed and polished my car, it looked beautiful. I put the rear left window down to match the right window, and I don't think anyone noticed. My father was grateful, and everyone commented on how elegant the car looked.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by JagIAint; 08-20-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo in the last sentence
jerry_hoback (08-20-2019)