XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

removing fuel tank, fuel line question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing fuel tank, fuel line question

Hey guys, first of all, I'd like to introduce myself. I dont have a Jaguar but a 92 300zx turbo. I've been wrenching on this car and previous cars for almost 8 yrs doing many small jobs to timing belts and engine swaps. I was recently asked by a long time family friend to help get his old 91 xj6 sovereign running after being parked for a few months. The first problem I found was no fuel pressure, checked the solenoids and I decided to pull the pump for further inspection. There is no audible noise when I turn the key aswell.

So after clearing out he trunk and spare tire, I get under neath the car and look at the rubber line mating into ahardline before the fuel filter. I was puzzled to see there were no line nuts or any familiar fittings or clamps. After some research, I read these cars come with quick disconnect fittings but its unclear how to undo them. Anyways I took a picture of the lines. Can anyone help?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 249 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Removing fuel tank, fuel line question

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. The vehicle your working on is right at the cusp of a modification to the fuel tank/fuel pump on the XJ6. Look at the VIN and if it is 629286 and above, the fuel pump should be in the tank, so all connection will be accessible from the boot (trunk). Use this as a reference:

Fuel Tank-From (V)629286 - Parts for XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

If the VIN is below the above referenced number, then the fuel pump is under neath the vehicle and the quick connects are also only accessible from under the vehicle as well. If this later scenario is your situation, you will need to put the car up on jack stands, remove the left rear wheel, crawl under so your head is well past (closer to the front of the car) the cross member and you can easily see where the fuel filter is. Have a light or flashlight and look above and beyond the trans-axle towards the boot. You should see the fuel feed (left) and return (right) lines going to the tank. You will see on each connection a spring clip, it appears round from your vantage point. Though you can't see it, the clips are fitting into a groove around the connection and they are holding the lines in place. DONT' REMOVE THEM. If you're able to reach up with your left hand and turn them to the left a quarter turn. That should be enough to allow you to giggle the line out for each connection.

There should be two pics included with this post to give you a visual of what you'll be seeing from underneath. I apologize one of the pics is a little fuzzy, but you can see the grove the clips are sitting in.

Hope this helps you, or someone out there yet to come

Best of luck to you

[QUOTE=Re037;624206]Hey guys, first of all, I'd like to introduce myself. I dont have a Jaguar but a 92 300zx turbo. I've been wrenching on this car and previous cars for almost 8 yrs doing many small jobs to timing belts and engine swaps. I was recently asked by a long time family friend to help get his old 91 xj6 sovereign running after being parked for a few months. The first problem I found was no fuel pressure, checked the solenoids and I decided to pull the pump for further inspection. There is no audible noise when I turn the key aswell.

So after clearing out he trunk and spare tire, I get under neath the car and look at the rubber line mating into ahardline before the fuel filter. I was puzzled to see there were no line nuts or any familiar fittings or clamps. After some research, I read these cars come with quick disconnect fittings but its unclear how to undo them. Anyways I took a picture of the lines. Can anyone help?

Attached Thumbnails removing fuel tank, fuel line question-p8270106r.jpg   removing fuel tank, fuel line question-p8270107r.jpg   removing fuel tank, fuel line question-p8260114r.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Roger Simpson (01-14-2024)
Old 11-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel pump is definately inside the tank, and I tried sliding out the tank into the trunk and it seems to be a bit stuck. Also, the rubber lines in the picture down by the hardlines are dry rotting and cracking. Is this section replaceable? or would I have to order a new fuel line with soft and hardlines as a complete assembly?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Hi

Go to this page, it should be what you're seeing:

Fuel Filter and Return Pipe-3.2/4.0 Litre - Parts for XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

If you could, in future posts, provide the VIN and the litre size of the engine in your signature line so people can better assist you correcting issues.

Sorry about the miscue in the earlier post, but I was guessing on which model/my you are working on. Fuel pump aside, my description is still applicable on where to locate the quick disconnect lines; only accessible from under the vehicle, that's why the tank feels "stuck".

Again, don't yank those spring clips out, you may bend/distort them. And I suggest ordering some replacement o-rings for the connections, you can see them in the link provided above. If you expand the item list on the left by clicking on the "plus" "+" symbol the part number will be revealed, then goggle the part number only in a search and US vendors will show up in the results.

I also suggest from experience, order only OEM parts numbers. I've made the mistake for you, stick with OEM on Jaguar vehicle, especially for the XJ40/XJ6.

Originally Posted by Re037
The fuel pump is definately inside the tank, and I tried sliding out the tank into the trunk and it seems to be a bit stuck. Also, the rubber lines in the picture down by the hardlines are dry rotting and cracking. Is this section replaceable? or would I have to order a new fuel line with soft and hardlines as a complete assembly?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:00 AM

RE037,

Thought you might find the following link useful......

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

You might have to sign up for access, the site is free.

Originally Posted by Re037

Roger Simpson (01-14-2024)
Old 05-19-2023, 11:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The original post is over a decade old but I was hoping Rob is still responding. I just went through a tank removal with a 1994 XJ6, 4.0 liter. I wanted to replace the O-rings on the fuel line connectors that plug into the bottom of the tank. Since it appears the links he provided above are no longer live, does anybody have a lead on those parts? Also, I would be interested to know if the rubber lines to the tank can be replaced independently from the steel lines or are they a single part. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,192 Posts

You can source the part numbers here and possibly cross reference them to commonly available o-rings or perhaps buy a selection on Amazon and try to match them up?

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Don B (05-22-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 11:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you. Perfect. BTW, Having hopefully learned from my many mistakes, I am now considering myself a relative expert on this tank removal business; I've had to do it three times This was a car that I bought for $900. It had sat for about 5 years under a tree. Leaves clogged the fuel cap drain so water had gotten in the tank, a LOT of water. First removal took me hours of wiggling, twisting, and pulling on those fuel lines from underneath the car. I have very small hands; no idea how a person with large hands could do it. Anyway, they finally popped out. After pressure washing the rust out of the tank and replacing the fuel pump, back in it went.

Unfortunately, I reinstalled the tank only to realize I had not reinstalled the fuel line retaining clips prior to putting the tank back...it is nearly impossible to do with the tank installed. So, back out is came. After fixing that error, I poured in five gallons of fuel. The next morning, I had a boot full of gasoline...tank leaked. So, removed again to find cleaning out the tank had unplugged about 6 pin-hole sized leaks in the bottom. I just completed an epoxy patch using a kit from JB Weld, and am ready to put her back in as soon as I get the new O-rings. Wish me luck.

Don B (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

There is indeed very little space to manipulate the connectors but the job can be simplified with the aid of long (15") needle-nose pliers. That's what I used.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:00 PM

Hope everyone is well!!! I'm still alive.

Wagonerki, based on you last post, I strongly suggest you slow down and treat that gas tank with a proper rust-proofing such as the POR-15 system. If you go into my archives, you should find a photo gallery of when I pulled my tank, repaired pin-holes, treated the metal and coated with a rust proofing compound.

You must ask yourself why did you have pin-holes (I'm assuming they were located on the underside of the tank). In my case, the rear window seal was the culprit. The self the tank sat on had no drainage so the water pooled underneath. The POR-15 coating adds thickness, so it will contribute to taking up some of the space in that cavity. I also added some weep holes too the shelf and installed a few "ribs" across the width of the shelf to create separation from the tank and shelf.

I just so happened to sell the Jag this evening to a young man who has had his eye on it for a while. I told him I would send some information and thus ended up logging in.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Don / Lawrence, good to see you guys still hanging out. Hope life has been good for you guys. Take Care

Lawrence (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

All the best Rob, so Jag-less as of this week ..what's next? hopefully not a smart car