XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

scraping noise rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default scraping noise rear wheel

92 sovereign 100k

Recently noticed a scraping noise from the passenger's rear wheel area while driving. It's rotational and is noticeable until about 45+ mph when I'm not sure that it's going away or if there's just enough road noise to mask it.

Read up on possible issues and so far have greased the u joint fittings in the rear, checked the wheel for play (bearing) but it is solid, pulled the rotor and checked brake components (no rocks stuck behind the rotor or loose components), checked all suspension parts/etc. for possible rubbing.

Doesn't seem to effect the car negatively at this point when driving but I am waiting for something to "go" at some point and possibly leave me stranded... Am hoping to get it fixed before winter sets in - any thoughts?

thanks

Old 11-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Tracing noises can be exasperating. Are you 100% sure it's coming from the RH Rear area? Noises travel in odd ways. I'd certainly check the other three corners as well.

Not that I suggest any ripping-n-tearing quite yet but lack of free play doesn't necessarily prove that a wheel bearing is fault-free and lubricating the u-joint doesn't eliminate it as a suspect.

Does applying the brakes change the noise in any way? How about turning a corner?

Will the noise announce itself if the car is driven very slowly...like walking pace? If so have someone drive the car while you walk alongside. Something might be revealed.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-12-2021, 11:28 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Doug I’m having the same issue with mine. The noise changes tone when I hit the brakes, any ideas ?

Old 07-12-2021, 01:19 PM
Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

bearings may look solid but still be broke and noisy while driving, rears tend to last long but if you put much on them or tend to fill boot with heavy stuff they will need change anyway
other things to look would be worn brake pads or bent rotor cowl

Old 07-31-2021, 02:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

2020 R-Dynamic Coupe

I think I have this problem, and I started a thread called "what is that sound". But, unfortunately, the thread did not go very far, and I have no solutions.

I would describe my noise as if you dropped a bolder (from not high up) into a pool—sort of a "ga-glunk" sound. Or if you pushed your hand underwater in a tub. It sounds like the beginning of a gong noise (without the long ring on the tail). I only hear it once (usually when starting a journey and slowly moving forward with the wheel usually turned ). This occurs perhaps one out of every eight outings. It's coming from the rear. For some reason, I heard the sound when rolling over large platform slates at the gas station and the top of a garage platform with floors underneath. I could stop here and ask the forum for advice.

-but here's a potential kicker. When I switched out my winter tires for my summer tires, I was told my winter tires, which were on the car for six months, were missing two lugs from the right rear tire; holy s#it ! (yes, I have wheel locks) I am 98% certain that my JLR dealer switched out my summer wheels for the winter wheel and forgot to put on two lugs. I know it's JLR because the car never leaves my sight when it's out of the garage. This is the same dealer who required three trips in for service on a new car, to figure out I had incompatible TPMS sensors from TireRack as I kept getting a PSI sensor fail light. I have an even worse dealer story that I can't bring myself to writing at the moment.

What is this sound? More importantly, what should I be asking my NEW service department to research? If I say I hear a gong sound, they will not even look.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:20 PM
Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

Could it be Tibetan monks calling you for repentance and return to the right life patch???
..If no than you will have to dig deeper into your car, maybe something gets in contact with rolling stuff like tyre or road surface, once i've got loose undertray touching road at speeds you may have some similar stuff happening, or maybe wheel bearings going kaput, rears tend to sound strange when broke