XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Shucks! ...My l'il XJ40 Horror Show

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Shucks! ...My l'il XJ40 Horror Show

DISCLAIMER:
For those of you who don't already know, I am long-winded!
Never could see the point in using ten or twelve words to accurately state my business when several hundred words would work almost as well.

So, if you bore easily or have the attention span of a gnat, probably best for you to stop here.
You've been warned ...!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently purchased a 1990 XJ6 Sovereign as a donor vehicle for an off-topic project I'm working on. The whole idea was to cannibalize the front and rear suspension subframes, complete with all related driveline, steering and brake components.

I already had two potential engines accumulated for my project, both vintage American inline sixes in varying displacements. (Yeah, I can't help it, I never met an inline six I didn't like!)

Sooo ... after getting the Jaguar home, I'm sittin' there in deep meditation mode (translation: with a coldbeer or three), and I'm thinkin' to myself:
"Hmmm ... all alloy inline six, double overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, fairly light, pretty torquey. Let's see here, a 4-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission with a freakin' sport mode!
I see distinct possibilities here .....!!!!"

In spite of all good intentions, I found myself swaying toward the siren call from the "dark side" (technology).
And yes, our mothers were right, idle hands are indeed the devil's workshop! (Particularly if one of 'em is holding a coldbeer.)

The poor Jaguar itself is already a two (maybe three) time loser. It apparently had a pretty rough life, was bought as a parts car but never used, then sold to me. It had been sitting for about a year. Here's what I found when I popped the hood. Note the rat's nest in the battery box!

Name:  xj40_02.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  61.9 KB

After cleaning things up, I installed a temporary battery. I was amazed to find most of the electrical components worked...however, I only got a click when I activated the starter.
Snaked a wrench up onto the crankshaft snout bolt and nothin' doing, this puppy is locked tight!
Didn't really make sense. The oil looked good, pulled the plugs and what little I could see of the combustion chamber looked kosher. WTF ...???

I pulled the cam cover and here's what I found:

Name:  xj40_03.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  56.5 KB

Sorry for the poor photos, but in addition to the rust on the cam lobes, I think you can see the milky residue on the cam bearing supports and caps. Mostly on #3 cylinder, with a lesser amount on #4.
I'm thinking blown head gasket ... does anyone concur?

I'll be pulling the head when time permits to see what other horrors await.
"Will he save it, or is it junk?
Who knows .... who cares!
Tune in next week .... (or whenever!)"

Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

looks like the rat (who has very good taste in lodging) used that for his outhouse. Looks like baby puke... thats just nasty.

But hey, good luck!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Damn, I, saw the first sentence, promptly made myself a pot of tea, got comfortable and sat down for a good long read.

Presumably this is just a teaser, where is the rest?

You can get crud in the rockers from bad crank case breathers. My XJ40 fouls up a little every winter, (visible in the oil filler tube), but that rusty cam might just need a tad more TLC than a bit of a rub with wet and dry paper.

So go on, spill, what Auto exotica are you contemplating creating?

Just about finished the tea, so ready for a second instalment.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Translator
...Presumably this is just a teaser, where is the rest?...

...Just about finished the tea, so ready for a second instalment.
Well, this is a "play as you go" type deal and right now I ain't playin'!
Don't get me whining about the heat ... the corrected temp here today is 113.
Outside forays are limited to 10 or 15 minutes with long cool-off periods ... thank God I'm not working for a living any more!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Hey translator,
I had to think about it a while, but good point on the breather. Since the cam cover was off, I never connected the dots!
I was thinking blown head gasket (apparently not real uncommon on these engines), and somehow pumping coolant up around the head bolts. After reflection, that really doesn't make much sense.
I'm gonna try to get back on it tomorrow .... maybe then I'll have some answers.
Stay tuned!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Translator
So go on, spill, what Auto exotica are you contemplating creating?
Well I don't know about exotica, but I posted the answer over on the non-Jaguar forum.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...434#post218434

Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Good luck on your project. I would first make sure that the engine turns over(looks like severe neglect) loosen the cam bearing caps and then see if it turns. I would also recomend getting a hanes manual (not the easiest to understand but tells almost everything you will need to know).the easiest part will be that you wont need motor mouns as the motor mounts to the crossmember. Most likely the hardest part will be the wiring.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 PM

Hi Lumppy,
Yeah, I've already got a Haynes manual, just waiting for my interest factor to overcome the local heat factor ... yow!

I was born and raised in this climate (actually within 100 yards of the Gulf of Mexico, about 150 miles south of my current location), and I'll be the first to tell you, it SUCKS!
I can't believe people actually spend good money to retire to a hellhole climate like this!
Prior to the advent of air conditioning, any civilized country would have used this area as a penal colony!

OK, rant over for the moment.

Thanks for your interest and input.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Some progress ......YOWZA ...!!!!

As of a few minutes ago, the engine is free and turning. I'm stoked!

To avoid confusion, further updates are on my other thread over in the "Non Jaguar Vehicles" section.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=38533
C'mon over if you're a glutton for punishment!