XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

SOS Eletrical

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 01:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb SOS Eletrical

Complete newbie to electrical work!
Read a forum that stated "a multimeter is a must buy for this car" and so I did. At first all the options got me confused, so I learned the basics. Then the diagrams where a hassle to figure out but I started to make sense of it. The main issue I really have is if I start tinkering with different stuff and create problem that I'm not supposed to have!

The Problem:

Car's radiator fan is not working due to electrical/wiring. Further more right side blinker is not working.
into diagnosing the problem I noticed that the from blinker light comes on when I break but only the front..
and the break applied plus the left window coming down killed the car! (that was window coming down I pressed the break and it died)

aside from that the car is mint, 136xxx miles its due an engine seals job little smoke comes off the exhaust on start up but it comes down to nearly invisible.. get worse if it seats for a while but not bad at all..

Currently working on finding the possible bad grounds to clean them up. Last wiring left me a rats nest so homing to redo some of the work he's done!

Would appreciate some pictures on what it should look like and where the ground are and how they where originally done or better alts.

Just want to get this car back to its full glory and learn a thing or two along the way..

yes family dollar sell the cheapest boostercables just let me cheapout where I can haha

Last edited by Dado; 04-13-2024 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,189 Posts

If you've got a 93 you should download the 93MY electrical guide, the 90MY will be somewhat different.

Old 04-13-2024, 08:55 PM
Received 1,068 Likes on 626 Posts

Just reinforcing Lawrence's advice ref the 1993 model differences,
Somewhere in 1992 the XJ40 underwent some radical changes. The easy way to pick this is the earlier cars had the battery in the engine bay and the later cars had it in the boot (trunk)
I had a 94 model XJ40 and I found the pre 92 workshop manual was nothing like my car electricals.
Actually, the later electrical system was closer to the X300 which was introduced later in 1994.

Old 04-13-2024, 11:44 PM

Awesome stuff!, I've been wanting to figure out to which point the components are retroactive!
So far only what you and Lawrence have pointed out as to the electrical.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 808 Posts

To add to the confusion, some of the actual parts are the same (like side mirrors, lenses, and throttle position sensors in my case), but the the difference lies in the changed connectors as in from rather large round ones or those cursed little green triangle things to smallish square ones. My 92 has been running a TPS from a 93 for several years. In order to not cut up the harness, I used connectors from other spare parts i have to build an adapter pigtail. I guess that I meant to reassure here rather than frighten. Sorry......

Last edited by jerry_hoback; 04-14-2024 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-14-2024, 08:46 PM
Thumbs down

Just punched a hole on the radiator housing where the fan mounts. Bolt is too long and never gets tighter.. a few lessons learned there..
cleaned a few ground connections, front left right and behind the headers. Still experiencing no R turn signals nor hazards on right side, but break lights still turn on signal lights..
welding the hole I made on the plastic tomorrow and will start checking wires with multitool.

Previous mechanics were dirtbags. Shitty wiring job, radiator wires where mended 3-4 different times, zip ties and scumbag screws all over bumper blinkers etc.
I'll have to go a few rounds to get this car where I want. Plan on pulling the engine and redoing the entire wiring one weekend. For now I just need to get it functional, take care of the basic needs:

Radiator fan and turn signals..

seriously considering running separate wires as to bypass issues even going as far as putting a switch inside for fans and signal.. Need to start working soon, have to take the project one weekend at a time.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,189 Posts

I'm not sure about the 93 cars but on the 94's the electric radiator fans don't run most of the time, generally only run after/during a hot drive with the A/C on and where speed is insufficient to create enough airflow to the rad and condenser. Most noticeably fans run after engine shutdown on a hot day. Fans never run on cold startup. Fan relay is a large dark green unit buried in behind and below driver's side headlight near inner fender. It rarely fails btw.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:37 PM

I've ran the car one stick past the middle, today I'm taking it for a drive, was hoping to figure out the supposed ground issue with the breaks activating right turn light, a couple of grounds to go. But likely is due to bad wiring done by last parking lot mechanic that touched it..
I'm getting ready to start redoing all that is accessible unto I get to the problem. Testing with the multitool today lets see how it goes

Old 04-15-2024, 10:25 PM
Received 1,068 Likes on 626 Posts

I suggest somebody has stuffed up the electrical connections in the right hand tail light area and your brake light power is being fed to the right hand turn lights.