XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Speedo not working please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo not working please help

Hi I have a xj40 1990 and for some reason the speedo keeps on breaking down, i could be driving down the road and then all of a sudden it goes off with just the rev counter worker. It sometimes comes back on ten minutes later or to get it back on straight away i have to bang it hard on top of the dash board, but sometimes it does not come back on.

Can anyone please let me know what the problem is, as the garage could not work it out

many thanks

Old 01-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Hia! I am new to the forum so sorry that I could not see this post sooner.

I had a problem too with my speedo. When I first got my beauty her speedo didnt work under 30MPH, then it also stopped working (the speedo would plummet to 0) when I accelerated harshly, then it stopped altogether.

I took the speedo sensor out and it was covered in crud, so I cleaned it. It then worked again. Then with a month or two the thing above happened again.

So I replaced the speedo sensor and *touch wood* she has been fine since...

Worth giving it a clean before forking out for a new one. I was lucky and got a good one second hand. I am in the middle of writing up a help manual on how to access/clean/replace the speedo sensor. I can send it to you if you want, but I dont have the photos yet...I should get some at the weekend if you are willing to wait??

Good luck!!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Default speedo cluster 4 sale

Originally Posted by Project Jaguar
Hia! I am new to the forum so sorry that I could not see this post sooner.

I had a problem too with my speedo. When I first got my beauty her speedo didnt work under 30MPH, then it also stopped working (the speedo would plummet to 0) when I accelerated harshly, then it stopped altogether.

I took the speedo sensor out and it was covered in crud, so I cleaned it. It then worked again. Then with a month or two the thing above happened again.

So I replaced the speedo sensor and *touch wood* she has been fine since...

Worth giving it a clean before forking out for a new one. I was lucky and got a good one second hand. I am in the middle of writing up a help manual on how to access/clean/replace the speedo sensor. I can send it to you if you want, but I dont have the photos yet...I should get some at the weekend if you are willing to wait??

Good luck!!
speedo cluster for sale 954 298 5602
dimsum29@hotmail.com