XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Transmission filter change

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,189 Posts
Default Transmission filter change

Hi Guys,

Put in a new trans filter today and got quite a bit more fluid out than I had previously done by just opening up the drain!

This was the third time I'd drained the tranny in the last couple of months. The fluid looked pretty good each time so I figured this would be a good time to change the filter.

Removing the filler tube from the pan released more fluid and when I removed the filter a whole lot more drained out. I drained it into a white bucket, didn't spill too much and marked the level on the bucket so I could put the same amount back in.

I didn't actually measure the exact amount in litres, but seems like I got about 4-1/2 litres all told.

After replacing the fluid, took a drive over to the recycling depot to drop off the old stuff. Checked the level when I got back - the fluid level read well above the hot mark, although I have to say that I've never been too squared away on checking the level, I've never really had a decent reading, it's always read high ....either I'm a complete idiot when it comes to checking the level or possibly the tranny has been slightly overfilled since I got the car.

There's no sign of foaming or any other issues with the transmission but I'd really like to have the RIGHT amount in there - is there a foolproof way to determine the correct level?
I have a pump that can suck out any excess through the filler tube, was thinking of removing say 1/2 pint at a time seeing if could get a decent reading on the stick - good idea?

Larry

Old 10-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Fluid level should be check cold in neutral while running. Slide thru gears and recheck while running and cold. Suck out or use drain plug, doesn't matter.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Smile update

Pumped about 400 ml out through the filler tube, not a lot really but enough to give me a reading just under the upper "hot" mark, so all good now.

Larry

Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Hi Larry,

Here's the fluid check procedure from page 214 of our '93 Owner's Manual (bold text is bold in the manual):

Check/Top Up Automatic Transmission Fluid

"Before checking the fluid level the transmission must be at normal operating temperature, e.g. after completing a run of at least 15 miles (24 kilometres).

With the transmission fluid at normal operating temperature, park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, firmly apply the park brake (handbrake) and position the selector lever in 'P' (Park) and allow the engine to run at idling speed for a few minutes. Apply the footbrake and pass the selector lever through the entire range [of gears] to ensure that the transmission system is primed. Return the selector lever to 'P' (Park) and allow the engine to idle; withdraw the dipstick. Using a lint free cloth, wipe the dipstick clean and immediately check the fluid level by replacing the dipstick and withdrawing it. If necessary, add the correct specification fluid to bring the level to between the 'MIN' and 'MAX' marks on the 'HOT' side of the dipstick. The lubricants and fluids recommended by Jaguar are detailed in SECTION 1.1: Lubricants and Fluids.

Note: The 'COLD' side of the dipstick is for Jaguar Dealer reference only.

After topping-up (if required), repeat the above procedure. Be careful not to overfill.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-20-2014 at 07:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
93SB (10-24-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Larry,

Here's the fluid check procedure from page 214 of our '93 Owner's Manual (bold text is bold in the manual):

Check/Top Up Automatic Transmission Fluid

"Before checking the fluid level the transmission must be at normal operating temperature, e.g. after completing a run of at least 15 miles (24 kilometres).

With the transmission fluid at normal operating temperature, park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, firmly apply the park brake (handbrake) and position the selector lever in 'P' (Park) and allow the engine to run at idling speed for a few minutes. Apply the footbrake and pass the selector lever through the entire range [of gears] to ensure that the transmission system is primed. Return the selector lever to 'P' (Park) and allow the engine to idle; withdraw the dipstick. Using a lint free cloth, wipe the dipstick clean and immediately check the fluid level by replacing the dipstick and withdrawing it. If necessary, add the correct specification fluid to bring the level to between the 'MIN' and 'MAX' marks on the 'HOT' side of the dipstick. The lubricants and fluids recommended by Jaguar are detailed in SECTION 1.1: Lubricants and Fluids.

Note: The 'COLD' side of the dipstick is for Jaguar Dealer reference only.

After topping-up (if required), repeat the above procedure. Be careful not to overfill.

Cheers,

Don
That's what I ended up doing Don - thanks!

Amazing that as little as 400ml (about a pint) of fluid jacked the level so far up the stick!

btw, that little MITIVAC is a great thing to have in your armory.

Cheers Don

Larry

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-20-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence
Amazing that as little as 400ml (about a pint) of fluid jacked the level so far up the stick!
And about 400ml too low can actually lead to stalling when coming to a stop or slowing to make a turn. Jaguar doesn't explain why, but I assume it must have something to do with the torque converter not releasing and bogging down the engine.

btw, that little MITIVAC is a great thing to have in your armory.
Amen to that!

Cheers,

Don

Old 10-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

I did not go to manual or CD, just went from 49 yrs. experience with Jaguar transmissions. Actually, any autobox is checked pretty much the same.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jagfixer
Actually, any autobox is checked pretty much the same.

I agree. The manufacturer's instructions for all the automatic vehicles we've owned have been virtually identical. The fluid must be checked with the transmission at operating temperature. A cold reading cannot be considered accurate. For our '04 XJR and 325i, both Jaguar and BMW go so far as to specify the actual temperature at which the fluid level must be checked, and since neither car is equipped with a dipstick, they're both a real joy to check.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (11-14-2014), manwich66 (10-21-2014)