XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission mount

Hello,
I am new to the forum but am finding it extremely helpful. I own a '90 xj6 sovereign and the transmission mount is bad. i can't seem to find a diagram for the transmission mount anywhere. i am wondering if i have all the parts. My roommate is a mechanic and we can get the jag on the lift tomorrow. I ordered the spring, spring seats and two bushings. However, the trans mount kit on jagbits.com contains two springs: outer and inner, two pads and a foam buffer. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Received 249 Likes on 171 Posts

n.kunkel,

Welcome to the forum. Use this link to get a menu of all components for your vehicle: (the link is an example, not specific to the transmission components.)

Crossbeam and Mountings-Front - Parts For XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Click on the middle column menu list to drill down to specifics, the page will refresh with an additional list on the right column, click on it for the diagrams.

Once you click through to the diagram page, notice the column to the left will have the part number legend and description. Click on the description to see the official Jaguar part number for each component. It will be helpful to have/know your VIN when searching for parts.

Originally Posted by n.kunkel
Hello,
I am new to the forum but am finding it extremely helpful. I own a '90 xj6 sovereign and the transmission mount is bad. i can't seem to find a diagram for the transmission mount anywhere. i am wondering if i have all the parts. My roommate is a mechanic and we can get the jag on the lift tomorrow. I ordered the spring, spring seats and two bushings. However, the trans mount kit on jagbits.com contains two springs: outer and inner, two pads and a foam buffer. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Rob Evenson; 05-02-2014 at 09:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 13,085 Likes on 6,518 Posts

I own a '90 xj6 sovereign and the transmission mount is bad. i can't seem to find a diagram for the transmission mount anywhere.
Hi n.kunkel,

The Haynes manual has a step-by-step procedure for rebuilding the transmission mount. Download the Haynes Manual here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hx8bttsy4kxxr#3267xri9vx4v6

HOWEVER, note that the re-assembly procedure in Haynes is INCORRECT:

On page 7-10 the bump stop should be inserted AFTER the lower spring and BEFORE the upper insulator.

Special thanks to Jag-Lovers XJ40 forum member Grooveman for this helpful correction.

Cheers,

Don

93SB (05-23-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Default trans mount

thanks don and rob for the helpful links. i was unable to find the correct section/diagram on jaguarclassicparts.com however. it doesn't seem to be listed under trans/drivetrain section. i am especially ignorant when it comes to mechanics. i am downlading the haynes manual later today once home from work. looks like that will be very helpful to my roommate/mechanic. thanks again guys, hopefully we can figure it out tomorrow.

another tip i found on jag-lovers.org is that when the mount fails, it is usually the 'foam rubber ring set into the top bucket' that rots and fails. if that is the case, would i be able to get away with taking the mount apart, replacing the foam rubber piece and put back together in theory, without replacing the springs, etc?

much appreciated!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 AM

i was unable to find the correct section/diagram on jaguarclassicparts.com however. it doesn't seem to be listed under trans/drivetrain section.
The transmission mount is also the "Rear Engine Mount" so it's listed under ENGINE / ENGINE AND GEARBOX MOUNTING / TRANSMISSION MOUNTING-REAR:

Transmission Mounting-Rear - Parts For XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

another tip i found on jag-lovers.org is that when the mount fails, it is usually the 'foam rubber ring set into the top bucket' that rots and fails. if that is the case, would i be able to get away with taking the mount apart, replacing the foam rubber piece and put back together in theory, without replacing the springs, etc?
I would strongly urge you to replace the rubber "spring seats," parts 3 and 11 in the diagram.

No doubt the metal in the springs fatigues over time due to sharing the weight of the engine/gearbox and being subjected to the forces present at the gearbox output shaft (torque, angular momentum, etc.). But the springs are expensive, and the car is 20+ years old, so I just reused the springs and I think most other owners have also. But the rubber spring seats lose some of their shape and resilience from the forces they're subjected to as well as oil contamination, so you should replace them along with the foam buffer (part 7) while you have the mount disassembled.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-02-2014 at 10:21 AM.
93SB (05-23-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 AM

Don,
Thanks for locating the correct diagram - it's great! i now realize that i have a new spring seat - part #11 to go above the smaller spring which i also bought and part #3 to apply under the larger lower spring. i might as well replace that upper spring since i bought it, hopefully the lower spring is still intact.

another thing is i bought 2 trans mount bushings as they are called on carpartsdiscount.com (won't go through them again now that i have other options thanks to the fourm) - i hope these are the 'foam buffers' the diagram is referring to. i can't think them to be anything else. i guess i didn't need 2 of them, just the larger one (#7) for the lower spring. so it looks like the only thing i don't have and probably will need is part #13, the little buffer on the smaller upper spring.

once again thank you don, you've really cleared this up for me

Old 05-02-2014, 12:48 PM

another thing is i bought 2 trans mount bushings as they are called on carpartsdiscount.com (won't go through them again now that i have other options thanks to the fourm) - i hope these are the 'foam buffers' the diagram is referring to.
I'm not affiliated with any of these companies, but good independent sources for Jaguar parts include forum sponsor SNG Barratt, Coventry West, Welsh Enterprises and others (all easily found via google), and for parts only available from Jaguar, jaguarmerriamparts.com and guadinjaguarparts.com are Jaguar dealers who offer discounted prices online (even with the cost of shipping they're substantially less expensive than most local dealerships).

jaguarclassicparts.com is the official parts division of the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust, so their parts diagrams are helpful and they're a good source of parts for U.K. and European owners (I purchased the shims for rebuilding our diff from them, as well as under-hood lamps and other parts that are still surprisingly affordable). The JDHT XJ40 DVDs with service manuals, electrical diagrams, new model introduction information, etc. are well worth owning (both the DVD with the service information for your particular model year, plus the DVD with Supplementary Information, which has things like the Engine Management System Diagnostic Guide and other helpful goodies).

From the X308 forum here, download and install the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC), which includes parts diagrams and listings for all the XJ40s and is stored right on your computer, so it's very fast and convenient to use.

Let us know how the transmission mount overhaul goes!

Cheers,

Don

93SB (05-23-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 01:12 PM

alright thanks for the info i'll post results

Old 05-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Welcome to the forums, we have a great free catalogue for your model (diagrams included). See below for details on obtaining..

Old 05-07-2014, 10:31 AM

well, good news and bad news on the trans mount. the good news is it was a simple procedure and i had everything needed, except the larger spring. We replaced everything else and put it back together, however we are still getting a lot of rear engine movement still unfortunately. the front engine mounts are solid, so no problem there. the larger spring that we put back into the mount seemed decently tight still. it wasn't boken but could obviously be a little more sturdy. In my opinion, which doesn't weigh at all in mechanical mattersa, is that replacing that larger spring wouldn't fix the entire movement problem. i have no idea what else could be causing that movement, so i will probably order the larger spring and see if that fixes it (although i am not very confident it will - or should i be)?

any ideas Don?