XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Transmisson oil dump....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmisson oil dump....

Huh. So the other day I drained the transmition and refilled it was nice new oil. Dex III.

This morning she decided she didnt like the oil and spat it all over the floor.

Iv been pondering the responce for a few hours and Iv got a few things running through my mind. So in my usual style Im gonna think out loud on here as it were.

First off, its clearly the seal behind the Torque converter thats blown out. Not a big deal mechanicaly and I think I have the ability to fix it once I have the space.

Pondering more. The previouse issue has been that Iv had to get over 4000rpm to get it to shift from 1st upwards. After the oil change, the same was still true. However, I did feel a shudder before it eventualy changed gears. Not too sure what to make of that.
The car ran fine until the transmition leak. She accelerated, and changed gear up once she started changing gear.
The blow out occured outside the gas station as I pulled upto a set of red lights. This suggests that the pressure in the system spiked when the car slowed, perhaps the downshift was late?. Maybe the old oil was too thick? the pump having a hard time with it meant the pressure couldnt get too high and a damaged seal was in no danger?.

Maybe I over filled it and when I slowed at the light the high pressure blew out the seal?.

While I have the thing down and out, perhaps a strong detergent to clean out the system before I replace the filter and reassemble it.

Pulling the trans out should be a lot easier since I dont have a fuel tank in the way! :-)

Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Yea, Im gonna try and replace the seal myself.
SO!

I need some help.
Anyone know of a good source for "how to" or pics?.

While the basic principles are the same for any transmition removal. I think a few pics and pointers ahead of time would serve me well.

And errrr.. What transmition do I have?.
Its an 88 "XJ6" (pre ford yey!)

Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I've rebuilt the transmission in my '88 xj40 (xj6) and despite having never attempted this before, the hardest part was refitting it... mind you I didn't have a hoist or a helper so I spent quite a bit of time flat on my back trying to wrestle it back in place with an improvised trolley jack...

You should be dealing with a ZF 4 HP22 transmission and yes I would suggest that you have a pressure problem that has caused your seal to blow out. There is a tech spec somewhere that suggests that you not rev these boxes in park when working on the engine as it blows out the 1st gear seal....although there is a fix (which I didn't do) that involves drilling a hole in the shaft to overcome this problem...

I had similar problems with my box not shifting up when cold after I rebuilt her although this went away after a few hundred km's running it in.

When I was rebuilding the box I found lots of problems that I had to address, a burnt out 'e' clutch drum, burnt out clutch plates (if you go for a kit make sure you get new steels as well!), several broken springs in the valve body and the torque converter needed a rebuild.... Why am I mentioning this...well if you are going to go to the trouble of removing the tranny, you might as well overhaul it at the same time.

I found the following site helpful

ZF 4HP22 repair / rebuild info

Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Here's another web site on rebuilding a ZF 4 HP22

Chris Cowdery Global Presence

I forgot to mention that the model number is stamped on a plate on the transmission near where the shift cable connects to it

Old 09-07-2011, 01:01 PM

Cooooool Beans!

To be honest, I hadent thought about any thing more than tappin in a new seal. But your right.
Since I have to take the thing down and out, I might as well go the rest of the way.
Just the thought of those little springs scares me. lol

But from what Iv seen, it doesnt look all that complex. Just methodical.

I have to move the car to a garage yet. So this is a week out or so. But Im looking forward to the project with some trepidation.
the good thing is, where Im moving it to is walking distance of work!?