XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

water valve installation and past progress report

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 07:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default water valve installation and past progress report

Hello All, I hope everyone is coping ok with the horrible pandemic situation. During lockdown I have been busy on the XJ40 1993, 4.0 Many nagging issues have been fixed. The broken aircon flap actuator couplings are repaired and the new wireless rolling code security module is working superbly. The radio is now playing MP3 files and the flaky CD stacker is not being used. It sounds beautiful now. I will be tackling the brake accumulator replacement soon as it recently arrived via snail delivery for O/S due to Covid19. My RHD XJ40 is an early 93 with no heater water control valve but I believe from late 93 the XJ40's reinstated a new vacuum controlled water valve that mounts on the engine block. Does anyone know anything about this device. ? If so please share the information with me as I would love to install this if possible. I have not been able to source this block mounted valve anywhere so far and I do not have a part number or equivalent information. However I do have a valve from the series3 XJ6 but it is metal housing. I am not sure if coolant will be affected by that or if the valve will corrode prematurely. or even where it might fit in this very snug area as my model has the battery right alongside the wiper motor on the LHS. This is my next project before the dash goes back. I found the vacuum control solenoid for heater water, situated under the radio with the flap valves , now I need to run my vacuum hose from the water control vacuum valve out through the firewall to a new vacuum operated water control valve. Has anyone done this ? Does this valve need to be a bypass valve or can it simply shut off. The old series valve I have is big and a bypass version. I a not sure about the 4.0 Ltr engine version. Please feel free to enlighten me.

Stay covid safe everyone. Cheers from Rodoz

Old 11-09-2020, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Hi - you can see what I did on my 94 here, the whole thread is quite long and you could read it all, but the actual replacement and installation info is pretty much from this post on.

Still working well BTW.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post2068361

good luck

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-10-2020)