XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

What type of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What type of gas?

Okay, i got the 1994 VDP and i was just wondering which type of gas should i put in it? I am new to Jaguar and always use Shell gas stations, would the VDP just take Regular, Plus or V-power? Thanks again Jaguar Forums!

Old 10-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Jaguar specifies 93 octane (US). Lively discussion here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=31594

Old 10-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always buy gas from major oil companies and use high test (highest octane). I don't want a mucky engine later on. It's just not worth it to me to save a pennies on the gas and maybe have a huge engine repair bill. High performance engine means high performance fuel.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High compression engines require high octane in order to prevent "pinging" or detonation. It's not just a recommendation, it's necessary. Lower octane can de-tune the cam and/or cause other internal problems.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the reply everyone. So does my VDP take the V-power?

Old 10-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

testpoint mentioned a Jaguar spec of 93 octane. You can use any brand of gasoline with that octane rating. There is no connection whatsoever between 'quality' and octane rating. Discount gas stations get their product from the same refineries as the national brands. Don't be fooled by marketing claims.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
There is no connection whatsoever between 'quality' and octane rating. Discount gas stations get their product from the same refineries as the national brands. Don't be fooled by marketing claims.
...then forumla-specific detergents and additives get added by Shell, Chevron, Texaco and other major brands, that's what you're paying for in higher per/gallon prices. The discount stations (and supercenters) most likely don't add anything to the fuel. This is important in my opinion.

I was a big Shell guy for my first two years of ownership, but after switching to Chevron for consecutive 93 octane fillups, my pinging has almost disappeared. I'm sticking with it now, even if when I have to drive miles out of my way to get it.

Just educate yourself on what you are feeding your car and then make a decision. If you just got the car, you may want to change the fuel filter, not knowing what the previous owner put in it. I found black sludge in mine.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
...then forumla-specific detergents and additives get added by Shell, Chevron, Texaco and other major brands, that's what you're paying for in higher per/gallon prices. The discount stations (and supercenters) most likely don't add anything to the fuel. This is important in my opinion.

I was a big Shell guy for my first two years of ownership, but after switching to Chevron for consecutive 93 octane fillups, my pinging has almost disappeared. I'm sticking with it now, even if when I have to drive miles out of my way to get it.

Just educate yourself on what you are feeding your car and then make a decision. If you just got the car, you may want to change the fuel filter, not knowing what the previous owner put in it. I found black sludge in mine.
Good point, i have always used Shell, so i should get the gas with the 87 octane?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

No, go for 93 octane (as was mentioned several times). I've tired the 87 once, and it only took once to know that the "premium fuel only" on the dash and gas cap is there for a reason. As for where I get my gas, I go to Sunoco because it's close and cheap.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Not to argue but there's no credible evidence (ie discarding the conspiracy theory type of stories) that the no-name brands avoid using adequate levels or types of additives. Yes, it possible to get a bad tank of gas from brand X but that's more to do with an individual station than the chain itself. All the majors have 'bad tanks' now and then too.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

their silence speaks volumes. There's never any advertising nor placards at the pumps stating they have any such additives. If they did, they would tout their relative similarities with the big names, at a cheaper price, wouldn't they?

Old 10-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by TopHatChef
No, go for 93 octane (as was mentioned several times). I've tired the 87 once, and it only took once to know that the "premium fuel only" on the dash and gas cap is there for a reason. As for where I get my gas, I go to Sunoco because it's close and cheap.
O ok, sorry i am new to this.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:52 PM

their silence speaks volumes. There's never any advertising nor placards at the pumps stating they have any such additives. If they did, they would tout their relative similarities with the big names, at a cheaper price, wouldn't they?
Well, that's a new variation on the conspiracy theory.

Here's mine- Maybe they keep their prices down by not wasting advertizing money on dreamed up 'faster than a speeding bullet' my-gas-is-better-than-your-gas claims.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Veteran member

Well, that is one theory...I wonder which is more plausible to normal drivers.

A) Don't tell them anything, and they'll think its the exactly the same thing as around the corner at Exxon.

or

B) Tell them thru advertising and on every pump, and the people who like to be educated will make the informed decision to protect their engine guts and pay for gucci gas.

I suppose we'll need a 3rd party clear the air, and maybe test some petrol!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:16 PM

I suppose we'll need a 3rd party clear the air, and maybe test some petrol!
I've been using any and every available brand of gas for years (decades actually) and have to see any difference whatsoever.

Aside for getting one bad tank of gas many years ago in my early 70's Corvette that caused pinging (low octane gas at a high octane pump?) I've never had a problem.

The fear of 'bad things might happen' can sometimes cloud logic.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd also avoid fuel with ethanol added. Depending on the age of your car, it may be bad for elastomers in the fuel system and it tends to absorb water. It's also a less efficient fuel.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by twerth
I'd also avoid fuel with ethanol added. Depending on the age of your car, it may be bad for elastomers in the fuel system and it tends to absorb water. It's also a less efficient fuel.
indeed, in the handbook for my Jaguar it said that ethanol is can be used, but only up to 10% (which i think is the highest in gas)

Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All the gas in this area has an additive to keep the air pollution particles at a lower level. I work for the local air pollution control district and this only adds 5 cents a gallon they seem to add at least 10 cents a gallon. Also most of the gas in this area comes from the same two distillery’s . I had a problem about a month ago where the engine acted like it was starting up as I was driving down the road. My mechanic couldn't find anything wron and said it might have just been bad gas or something on the bottom of my tank. I always use high test. It is only a couple of dollars a tank full. I spen more than that each week washing the car.