XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

xj40 my wife can smell fumes please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xj40 my wife can smell fumes please help

For the past week my wife has said she can smell fumes inside the car but I could never smell them. After a long 200 mile round journey this week i was starting to smell fumes and could even start to have a strange taste on my lips. It has now concerned me with my wife saying she can smell fumes and that it starts to sting her eyes, can anyone please give me some advice on what this maybe and how to solve this please

Old 04-18-2009, 11:20 PM

it may be an exhaust leak. I think i am having the same problem. I replaced the transmission on my car a few thousand miles back and had to drop the exhuast etc. Ever since then its never been the same. I can only smell fumes when the windows are down. I know its an exhaust leak somewhere just got to find it.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:49 AM
Default leak

Originally Posted by Spoolin51
it may be an exhaust leak. I think i am having the same problem. I replaced the transmission on my car a few thousand miles back and had to drop the exhuast etc. Ever since then its never been the same. I can only smell fumes when the windows are down. I know its an exhaust leak somewhere just got to find it.
The wife can smell it when the windows are up but i can smell it when the windows are down, what is the best way to find out if it is a leak

Old 04-19-2009, 07:10 AM

I have the same problem since the answer to my fuel leak was to replace a non existent seal according to my soon to be ex mechanic. When I bought the car a few days ago the salesman gave me a breather tube that he said he disconnected by mistake and that was the cause of the smell. However my mechanic said the part had been replaced. Since he´s telling me to replace a seal that isn´t there I´m wondering if that breather tube really is the cause of this problem. Any other ideas?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:35 PM

best way to find out is to take it to a muffler shop and just tell them you smell fumes and to check for a exhaust leak. Most of them shouldnt charge just to check it out. On mine If the windows are up and the air is on i cannot smell anything. But if the windows are up and air is off I can. When windows are down i can smell it . See if you have these same symptoms. When was the last time you repalced fuel filter etc? Open the trunk and see if you get a stronger sense of gas smell from there. there could be a small leak somewhere on the tank. If smell is comming from the rear ( i had a freind who had this problem, his tank was leaking at the center where the fuel pump connectors go) i would recommend you keep the gas tank at less than half. ( and obviously address the problem asap) but that just applies to that senario. Goodluck buddy

Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 AM

Thanks. My mechanic also told me to keep the tank at less than half. He says it is a leak where the fuel filler enters the tank which is about half way up. He also says there is a seal there, but one of our jagtechs here says he´s wrong so I need to have somebody else look at it.
I just got the car so I have no previous repair history since it came from a used car dealer.
I smell it when the windows are down when I´m driving. Or if the car has been sitting with the windows up after I have recently used it.
Good idea to check for the smell from the tank. I haven´t noticed it there yet.
Thanks.