XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

XJ40 Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Thanks, Jim: Great to have you on board. You've got a great looking car, worthy of the care you are obviously giving it. At 74, you may in fact be our most "senior" member in the XJ40 section, I'm not sure. And I mean that entirely respectfully! Here it means, 'with distinction.'

Cheers and hope that fuel pump problem is quickly resolved!
Scott

Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Still here - been busy out of town and such but am now home for a while so will have more time to look through the posts. My XJ40 is my daily driver now that winter is over - I still turn heads with it and love driving it.

The following users liked this post:
MidwestJag (05-24-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Scott,
Yes, the fuel pump did the trick, all is now running well, taking the car for its annual test Tuesday, it should pass or I don't know why, then I'll look forward to driving it again after six years... Almost like it was a new car?

Thanks for all your help, it's comforting to know that others care.

Jim

Old 05-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Jim:
It is indeed comforting. By the way, WHY did you have your car in storage for six years? I can't imagine!

Cheers! Glad to have you with us.
Scott

Old 05-26-2013, 09:10 AM

Why in storage for 6 years? We have two other cars suited to our daily needs, a Lexus RX300 and a Smart for the wife's shopping, the Lexus has a great advantage of being higher at seat level than the Jaguar. At our ages it is more difficult to get in and out of the Jag although its a sheer pleasure to drive - even when towing our caravan.

One of my interests is building and flying large scale model aircraft and these certainly would not go into the Jaguar, with our Lexus rear seats folded the fuselages of two of my planes extend from the back tailgate door to between the front seats - almost 6ft of them,

In the CARCOON the Jaguar is safe from (British) weather and the battery is constantly kept in a charged state, when in the 'Coon I leave the car windows slightly open so as to avoid stale air or smells inside.
Because air inside the Carcoon circulates (using two 4" computer fans each having 10" blades) and filters there is a dry atmosphere that does not encourage rust or deteoriation - except of course petrol residues within a pump, that can congeal if left over long. In the future we will do pleasure mileage during the summer then 'coon it over winter - not making the mistake of leaving it too long between runnings.

Happy and reliable motoring to you all,

Jim

MidwestJag (05-26-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are probably right. The XJ40 forum seems to be the least active, which is unfortunate since the 4.0L bullet-proof drive train was perfected in our generation. I am out of the country most of the time, but I pop in when I am home, rekindling my relationship with my ride and the forum.

Attached Thumbnails XJ40 Roll Call-user111971_pic11137_1324862719.jpg  
MidwestJag (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

redfish12: We do seem to becoming a small 'niche' of collectors. Trouble is, most of us seem not so much to be collecting these cars but driving them every day. All the more important to support one another in the effort, methinks. Great to have you on board whenever time and distance allows!

Cheers,
Scott

Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 AM

Oh Ho Ho!
Today my XJ40 4ltr Sovereign passed its annual test - the most rigorous that I've seen in many years (it seems that the Ministry of Transport are constantly updating procedures) I had a small oil leakage from the right hand track rod gaiter and the gaiter shows signs of perishing, The garage owner offered me the use of a spare lift on Saturday mornings if there is anything I want to do underneath the car! WOW!

I thought those days were long gone.
Want some Touch-up paint in Solent Blue but can't find a code on the car, following enquiries I'm told that the Jaguar Paint Code for Solent Blue is '715', another bit of useless information but it could be valuable to those having this colour.

Photo:Purring loudly as she has her 'eyes' checked... PS add me to your list Scott.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails XJ40 Roll Call-image.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm still here.

But have been in and out lately. I am one of the daily driver people as this is my everyday commuting car as long as its not snowing. I need to make it a point to check in a little more frequently. We have to keep these guys on the roads and out of the yards.

MidwestJag (06-01-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my 2nd post

I have been a member for over a year. I have learned a great deal from this and other forums. I have 94 xj40 and i love it here in California i have picked up many parts through internet and junkyards. Car runs great and still a head turner. thanks to all for being here

MidwestJag (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 05:24 AM

I'm still with you Scott, Went out in the ' 40 a couple of days ago to get some paint match, ours is Solent Blue metalic and the official paint code for this is: JFJ715, the code might be useful to others as t is not shown on the car's data plate but was obtained from a major Jaguar repairer.

Because our car runs on LPG most of the time which is a clean fuel, carbon contamination of the oil is almost non-existent + the car is protected by Neways ROIL multi purpose conditioner treatment.... In fact all our 3 cars, 2 motorcycles and motor cruiser are likewise protected.
Being a sceptic person I would never have believed the protective powers of ROIL until I saw a demonstration, now I wouldn't drive without it and with special equipment now give demonstrations myself.
The downside of ROIL is that because it reduces wear and extends service intervals so effectively service shops will not sell it due to the potential reduction of custom that is likely to result from its use.

Jim

MidwestJag (06-20-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I posted a transmission problem 0n a 1988 XJ6 Vanden Plas, receive few responses, hey come on I know someone must know a lot about these trans and can help me out.
Thank you
bunchy

Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

Hi Bunchy:
I'm no mechanic, but my most recent post to your transmission thread has, as yet, gone unanswered by you. My fear is that you have a major fault: one that is probably only going to be diagnosable by a good tranny technician. However, in four years of XJ40 ownership, this will be the first mechanical failure I have heard about. When these things go wrong it is so much more electrical. One can still be optimistic...

Scott

bunchy (06-23-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Scott,
You are absolutely correct. I have been around the forum less for various reasons (excuses), and on XJ40 even less. Since we acquired an XK8 convertible recently, the XJ40 has been retired, after 13 years of generally great service. I'm torn between restoration and disposal by sale or parting. Mechanically it's in very good condition. However, cosmetically, it's needs far more than is practical to invest, starting with repair of a couple parking lot dents, a complete paint job, and some interior issues.

I may have moved into other areas of the forum, but rest assured, I haven't gone.

MidwestJag (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just checking in with my '88. Still running fine, except when the battery is being borrowed by my '00 VDP. Too many cars, haven't been driving it much.
(more than the XJS tho)

Lowell

MidwestJag (06-24-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just happened on this post and felt like making a couple of comments. Regarding the title "Senior", perhaps Sage or Guru would be more appropriate for those who so generously share their experience and technical knowledge with "Juniors" like me -- also a strange title. At 74 I might be the oldest in the category!! Acolyte might be more appropriate. Like probably all Juniors, I greatly appreciate -- and am amazed by -- the willingness of subscribers to help people like me who have no aptitude for, or experience of, auto repair but have decided to "give it a go" in order to keep there cherished Jags on the road. To have the work done by a garage would be prohibitively expensive.

Lastly, I do spend many, many hours scouring this and other forums as well as referring to Haynes and the official Jaguar CD before starting a thread. However, when one lacks both confidence and relevant experience, it is tempting to raise one's specific issue with the forum to get specific responses and, reassurance.

Please, please don't give up on the XJ40, I have two that I really want to keep alive for a few more years.

MidwestJag (08-16-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Proud new XJ40 owner here and not going anywhere

MidwestJag (08-16-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

My, my how the wheels of fortune change.

The XK8 developed a few issues, so the XJ40 has been brought out of retirement. It did not enjoy sitting as long as it did, and boy did it let me know about it. It's once again a daily driver providing excellent service.

MidwestJag (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

3jags: thank you for your post and comments. I share your experiences! I do hope and trust there will be those of us who care about the XJ40 enough to keep things going for years come. Honestly, I think my car will last for decades more - it's that solid of a car. Whether or not I last that long...? I'm less solid.

Matt: Great to have you with us. You've already been a great addition to our little 'club.' Yet, having followed your posts somewhat, I can see that you're a bit of an overall car fanatic - having owned quite a number of autos in your relatively young life. (Though I'm a bit older, I have been blamed for the same thing!) How long will you own your XJ40? I hope forever!

sharay: A similar thing happened to me. Earlier this year my '91 was the only "working" car and was taken out of weekend service into full-time use for a week or so. That was a great week. That also happened to me a couple of years earlier, shortly after my purchase of the '91. It ran for five days before quitting on me and needed to go to the shop. It ended up being something really simple, but because I was so green and not yet a member of the forum, I was in a panic. Our van was also in the shop, and for two days the ONLY working car I had was my '29 Ford. That was funny, but she did the job like a champ!

Cheers to all. Very grateful for such a great bunch of car guys...

Scott

Last edited by MidwestJag; 08-16-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: clarification
sharay38 (08-26-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
Matt: Great to have you with us. You've already been a great addition to our little 'club.' Yet, having followed your posts somewhat, I can see that you're a bit of an overall car fanatic - having owned quite a number of autos in your relatively young life. (Though I'm a bit older, I have been blamed for the same thing!) How long will you own your XJ40? I hope forever!

Scott
I have no intention in getting rid of my XJ, actually I am aiming to get a newer XJR in the near future to take over my daily driving duty

MidwestJag (08-16-2013)

Quick Reply: XJ40 Roll Call