XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Yellow Spark and No start xj40

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Yellow Spark and No start xj40

Brand new so be patient. I have a used 1989 Jaguar xj6 (XJ40) that ran like a top for a year and then suddenly in June 2013 it would crank but not start. I have had it to two local mechnaics and we have, over the last six months, replaced the fuel pump, Engine computer, main computer, crank position sensor, ignition amplifier, often following the guides and suggestions from this forum. Nothing has made a difference and now my mechanic, who is terminally ill, is giving up. I have a few leads on some local "foreign Car" mechanics but trust no one.

Can anyone suggest a reliable Jaguar mechanic in my area (Jackson, Michigan) with some kind of proven ability? I have a lead on a shop called "Automotive Perfection" but can find no local persons who have used them.

Or maybe someone knows what's wrong with my Jag, given the xhausted remedies we have already tried.

It's a lovely car but I might have to just part it out if it will never start again.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Received 10,504 Likes on 6,936 Posts

No idea to shops for obvious reasons.

Being an early '40, and you stating it has "yellow spark", I would be looking VERY carefully at the ignition coil, and in particular the HT lead running from that coil TO the distributor cap.

Many, many down here with that similar problem have found the lead is toast, and some even Green with gunk. Few have actually had coil failure.

I would remove that lead, look up inside the coil snout, and use Lemon Juice (it works) to clean inside that snout. Do the same with the HT posts of the cap, paying particular attention to the centre post. Replace that coil lead. Any Generic lead will do the job.

You really are looking for a "fat and juicing BLUE spark". Anything less than that is a failure.

Many other things come to mind, but that is the most common issue down here. ECU's failing is rare in any percentage graph.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 12-20-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Hi Duldricks, and welcome to the forum. When you replaced the fuel pump, did you do a fuel pressure test both before and after? It would be helpful to determine whether (and perhaps you have) whether we need to be looking for fuel or spark.

Cheers,
Scott
PS - no shop recommendations either, unless you want to come to Madison WI.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,365 Likes on 794 Posts
Default simple...

Yellow spark sounds bad. Spark should be blue and snappy. First thing...get a spark tester like this one so you can take the emotion out of it and get to the science of the matter.

Great Neck/Adjustable ignition spark tester (25069) | Ignition Tester | AutoZone.com_
Should be in stock at your local Autozone.

Pull the fuel pump fuse so you don't flood the engine whilst testing. Then ho trough the ignition system piece by piece until you get a snappy blue spark. Just like Grant Suggested...Check the module, coil, rotor wires, pickup etc. Sounds like a ignition module to me. Was the replacement you mentioned known good, new? You can put the spark tester right into the output of the coil too which will take the distributor assembly out of the equation & help aide your diagnostics.

Last edited by icsamerica; 12-20-2013 at 07:24 PM.