XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12-Digit VIN

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 06:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 12-Digit VIN

Hello all. I am new to this and excited to be here. I have inherited a 1972 XJ6-L (series II). The VIN is only 12 digits long, which is really giving me problems doing any kind of searching about the car's past. I have records for the past 22 years, but before that I have nothing. I specifically need to verify who the past owners were, which is normally a difficult (if not impossible) task to begin with. I was told that the car was once owned by actor Ray Milland (who also owned a gorgeous 1959 Jaguar XK150 S 3.4 Fixed Head Coupe). Milland was apparently was an amateur show/racer and general car enthusiast/collector. Anyway, have any of you ever dealt with the 12-digit VIN problem? None of the "decoders" I've come across help me at all.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Hi,
go to the JDHT (Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust) and order a Heritage Certificate with that VIN. It costs around $100. USD
www.jdht.com

Getting the names of previous owners will be a challenge because DMV have privacy laws and it depends on the State's policies.

Some States will approve a request if you request through a licensed attorney and notarize it. But how do you know if the car was registered in another state previously? That is another Search and more fees.

Why exactly do you need to know who the previous owners were?

Last edited by Jose; 03-11-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:28 AM

Hi Jose. Thank you! I have looked into the JDHT, and am hoping to do that. I am a bit worried that the VIN is not original, or not correct. There is none on the doorjamb or dash. The car was given a complete overhaul and somewhat of a rebuild about 20 yrs ago, so those stamps could have been removed when the new dash and paint when on. Need to look at the engine next for verification. But 12 digits doesn't seem to conform to any of the decoder maps I've seen and that's why I am worried that JDHT may not even find it in records. Carfax and the like certainly don't recognize its VIN.

The reason I would like to know who the owners were is to verify what my late uncle (who used to own this car) has always told us: that it was owned by late Hollywood actor Ray Milland (Dial M for Murder and 100s of other films). The car was also used in Natalie Wood's last full movie that she shot, The Last Married Couple in America. It's featured in several scenes. I've watched the movie and can certainly say it appears to be the same car. I would just like to have some documentation of these details for my own personal records, and I think it should be included in the new appraisal I'd like to get. Some people would find these details valuable, and I think it could add a little extra to the car's worth, at least in some circles.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

where the two torque bars meet in the engine compartment center, there is a bracket that should have the VIN.

At the driver's door jamb, OR on the door itself, there should be a label with the VIN.

then there is the aluminium tag behind the windshield on the A post, driver's side.

If all three are missing, then the car might be a rebuilt HOLLYWOOD CARS car. This business is in Hollywood Calif. and they buy damaged cars, rebuild them, and rent them to film studios in Burbank, Calif.

you might try contacting them to see if they can help trace the VIN.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:08 AM

Thank you Jose. That's the best tip I've gotten during this whole time-consuming detective process on the movie angle. Will try the Hollywood Cars and see if they can help next.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

VanMoore you are welcome. Glad to help.

When I lived in L.A. from 1978 to 1980 they had a museum in East Hollywood with cars of the movies, including the Jaguar MK-8 from the movie "Psycho" by Alfred Hitchcock driven by Grace Kelly in the San Francisco movie.
They also had tv show cars like The Beverly Hillbillies, The Monsters, The Monkees. and one of Laurel & Hardy stunt cars. Many other famous cars like the one-off custom Duesenberg of the actor in "Gone with the Wind" Clark Gable.
Good luck with the search.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I do not recall the name of the street, if I ever noted it. My employer was Harbor Insurance Company HQ at 4201 Wilshire. That "main" drag runs generally EW. When, I took my noon after lunch walks,, I noted a garage on a side street. Perpindicular to Wilshere and on it's north side. Various old cars inside. Not high dollar ones, burt more ordinary. 30 and 40's models. Movie cars? I suspected so.

Clark Gable fancied his 120 roadster, mild customization by Barris...

Aye, proven provenance would enhance value...

Good hunting !!!!!

Carl.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:56 AM

So far I've found about 6 such companies in the L.A. area that specialize in providing period cars for movies and tv shows. Didn't realize it was such an industry! I've sent emails to these that I've found, but so far gotten only one response. Not surprising I suppose. I wish I had gotten more information from my uncle before he passed. I am certain the car was used in that Natalie Wood movie, but have no proof of the other point it question, that it was ever owned by Hollywood actor Ray Milland. I still think I will try to get "DIAL M" for my plate though, since he was best known for the movie "Dial M for Murder." It's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Old 03-18-2021, 11:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pre 1980 the format of VINs was up the manufacturer and none of the online VIN search tools will work with the non-standard VINs. After you've verified the VIN you have based on the info provided above, and if contacting the rental places doesn't work, your only choice would be to contact the DMV in the state or states you're interested in or possibly using one of the "repair my title" guys that will recover titles for folks that lost theirs. They seem to have resources not available to the average person.

The following users liked this post:
VanMoore (03-18-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 02:42 PM
Default Closer to Decoding 12-digit VIN on 1972 XJ6L

Hi all. I am getting closer to verifying and decoding my 12-digit VIN. According to https://motorcarsltd.com/jaguar-vins, 1972 XJ6 beginning VIN is 1L64129, so that seems to mesh with my VIN. I’m guessing at most of this, but can't seem to find any lead in what the “1L” would mean. Does anyone have any other knowledge or opinion or verification on any of this?

VIN: J721L64443BW

J Jaguar (Missing the SA of later VINs)

72 This seems to be the year (1972)

L

64443 would make this 315th off the line that year?

BW stands for Borg Warner and indicated automatic gearboxes