XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 Jaguar XJ6 need advice/help. Stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1982 Jaguar XJ6 need advice/help. Stalling issue

So i have a 1982 jaguar xj6 and recently just had a new fuel pump, fuel filter, battery, alternator, volt regulator, and spark plugs. Been trying to bring this car back alive but its still giving me hell. One day i noticed a gas leak from my hose that goes into the charcoal canister. I do beleive i put too much gas into my tank which fed gas into that line to the canister. My car stalled out on me one day. It always starts up but the rpms are not steady at all and eventually dies quick especially when i put it into gear or hit the gas. I put some iso heet into the tanks (thinking it was water in my tank) and it helped for three days and didnt give me any problems. It stalled again after so i put more gas treatment/water remover in it but didnt help this time. I filled with shell gas 93 v power. No lights are on the dash and all the meters are checking out good. The car emits a little more smoke than usual from the exhaust. Can it be gas thats in the charcoal canister causing it to stall? Any help is appreciated and can explain more if needed. Thank you

Old 01-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Raw gas in the canister can be drawn right into the inlet manifold and flood the engine. One possible cause for fuel in the canister is a problem with the tank switching system causing one tank to become overfull. Anything suspicious happen when switching tanks? Does one tank seem to become more full while the other draws down?

How as the fuel filter when you changed it? Clogged? What did the gas look like?

Was this car in storage for a long time?

Take a look at the ducting between the air flow meter and the throttle body. Everything secure? No rips in the rubber?

Does the stalling seem to be related to engine temperature? Or distance driven?

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
ahunt4 (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 PM

I got the car to stay idle when it works and checked all the duct work and hoses and everything is okay. The fuel filter wasn't too bad when I changed but this one is brand new. I do notice weird things with the tanks switching. One does seem to become more full after I switch over a couple times testing them out here n there. You put that right on the money. The car was garage stored for a winter with periodic start ups to keep it going. Now it is in a new location at my house where I have no garage so it sits outside. Been very cold lately below freezing. The coolant temp warms up to a hair below the halfway mark and sits. Seems to be a problem with distance driving/car being on for a period of time

Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 PM

I replaced the spark plugs again and no help although the other ones were dirty. I really suspect it is what you said about the raw gas being flooded into the engine. What would be the best way to take care of this if this is the case

Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

First disconnect the hoses to the canister and see if anything changes regarding the stalling problem !

As for the fuel switching problem, start with an easy test. Start the engine. Now, go back and open the gas cap for whichever tank is selected. Using a flashlight look into the tank. Do you see a small stream of fuel going into the tank? (You'll need to use a screwdriver to push the little flapper plate open, if you have one)

If you see fuel, good. If you don't, go to the other side and check for the stream.

Now select the other tank and repeat the test.

The idea is fuel should return to whichever tank it's being drawn from.

If fuel is being drawn from one tank but being returned to the other, then the other will start filling up!

Cheers
DD