XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 XJ6 Left Side Windows Not Working!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Received 2,625 Likes on 1,810 Posts

It appears you have a faulty switch, but to be sure, swap the LH rear switch with one of the other ones to confirm the switch is bad. If the condition you describe still exists, there is a problem with the wiring or a connection in the circuit.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Will check in the next day or so but I have another issues I must get to first. My brakes, when the car is off there nice and hard like they should be but when the car starts and drives there very soft to the ground and Im not sure why?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Received 2,625 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaoi-Wiccan
...My brakes, when the car is off there nice and hard like they should be but when the car starts and drives there very soft to the ground and Im not sure why?
If you haven't done so already, perform a search of this topic as there are threads referring to the braking issues that may surface on the XJ6. You may also want to start another thread on this subject to avoid confusion regarding the windows.

Generally, if the pedal is 'soft' when the vehicle is running, there is air present in the system or a hydraulic leak exists. If the fluid level in the master cylinder is constant, you may want to change the fluid if the colour appears dark as a high concentration of water in the braking system can also lead to low pedal pressure or brake fade. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture from the air, so over time the brake fluid will absorb water and can cause a loss of brake performance or component failures. If the fluid is clear or amber, check the area where the master cylinder mounts to the brake booster to see if there is evidence of fluid loss or fluid drips from the bottom of the brake booster.

Quite often the rear brakes on the Series III XJ6 are not serviced due to the cost of removing the rear crossmember and suspension as they are mounted inboard on the differential. It may be a good idea for you to thoroughly inspect the entire braking system paying particular attention to the rear calipers for leaks or wear to the discs and pads. Given the age of these vehicles, it is also a good idea to renew the flexible brake lines or hoses since they can also weaken with age affecting pedal feel.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok now my drives windows only goes up half way and is off track because I can hear the glass move when I close the door and when it goes up half way it goes off the where it suppose to rise at. Sadly I dont know how to take off the door panel to check it out so If anyone could help me?