XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

1986 XJ6 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 XJ6 questions

Hey all-

I just picked up a 1986 XJ6 and have a few questions. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and aim to do all of the work on it myself. I also have an old Range Rover that I maintain and I suspect is what started me on to British cars. It's an addiction, to be sure, but a fun one!

First off, the steering has a lot of play in it (probably 30-40 degrees) before the wheels start to respond. Also, in a straight line the steering wheel is offset about 30 degrees to the right. I suspect these two things are directly related but don't know where to start looking to diagnose what's causing this.

Secondly, the switch for the fuel tank changeover does not latch/click/what-have-you, so I need to replace it. Is it necessary to remove the entire console to do this or is there a more elegant approach that requires less disassembly?

Thanks!

Max

Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The play in the steering wheel is probably due to worn rack bushings. Replace them with polyurethane bushings.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/_search.php?page=1&q=rm101r

See what that does for the steering wheel offset. It may correct both problems.

I believe the fuel tank switch will pop straight out the front. Be careful that you don't take the wood with it.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/_search.php?page=1&q=33786

Old 10-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

I stand corrected on the switch. You do have to release the wood panel to release the locks for the back side. Sorry.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 AM

Awesome, thanks a lot Ken!

Are those the bushings for the lower steering column or do they belong on the steering rack proper? As of right now I only have the Haynes manual (ordering the official manual soon) and it only shows bushings being on the column, not the rack itself.

Also, does the replacement require any special tool?

Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vt -

The console where the fuel cell switch is unscrews rather easily (two on top, two underneath) if it's the same as my 76 (which I think it is). Unscrew that, pinch the things holding it in, and it pops out the front.

The steering wheel offset is due to someone (more than likely) taking it out and replacing it without having marked the proper position initially. If you do like Ken said and replace those bushings, make sure you put the steering wheel back into the proper position.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

The bushings are on the rack. There are two on one side and one on the other. No special tools required.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks guys.

Another question: how difficult is it to remove the rear valance panel? Mine is in pretty rough shape and I am almost surely going to scour a local junkyard to see if they may have a replacement. In that I don't have the shop manual yet, is there anywhere I could find a diagram of where the bolts are to remove it?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:57 PM

You shouldn't need a diagram to see where the bolts are that hold it on. All of them are in plain view. Several on either side (those are actually phillips head screws) and a few fore and aft.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 AM

And more questions...

My shifter cover/indicator was cracked so I picked up a replacement. How do I go about removing the old one and putting in the new one? At first I thought it would pop right out but the speed control switch prevents that from happening.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Counter-clockwise, unscrew the part from the driver's side of the shift-knob. Then clock-wise, unscrew the passenger side. You may need some kind of rubber aplmed gloves to get it unscrewed. (trust me, you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it)

Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 AM

Ahh I think I was imprecise in my description. The actual shifter is in fine shape and removing that piece is no problem.

I need to remove the plastic indicator panel (P R N D 2 1) and the speed control button is preventing this from happening. I'm wondering if I need to remove the side of the center console?

This is the piece I need to install:
http://www.motorcarsltd.com/used-cac4770.html

Old 11-08-2009, 09:28 AM

Sorry. You shouldn't need to remove the side of the center console. You should be able to take out the center console plate. I'm not sure how it works on an 86, but on my 76, there are two screws that hold the center console plate down.

Anyway, figure out how to remove that plate, and the speed control button will pop up from the underside. There are two holder things (the names of them escapes me right now) on either side of the speed control button that holds it into place on the plate. Squeeze those, and the button should pop out.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I figured it out the other night, not necessarily the most elegant thing to fix. There was one screw that held the center console down above the window controls. From there it was a matter of unplugging all of those and lifting the entire panel out of the way. The speed control switch doesn't have a plug like the window switches, so in order to replace the shifter indicator I had to cut the wires to the switch to get it out then splice them back together once the new indicator panel was in.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sloppy Steering

VTXJ6,

I too had sloppy steering, exactly as you describe. I bought the poly bushing set from John's Cars (214 426-4100) and rented the tool from John to remove the old factory bushings. Yes you do need that tool (unless you like messing around and getting your knuckles busted by trying to tap the old ones out after being in place for 20+ years).

By the way now she corners like she is on rails and there is no play in the steering. However, my wheel is still of center when the car is pointed straight, but I am just living with it.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Hello:

I have come by a bit late but here is something for you. I have performed this very task on no less than 7 XJ sedans in the past several years alone.

First note that series II cars differ greatly in the trim and interiors from series III cars. The mechanicals have much in common but the fiddly bits are in fact very different and very little will interchange between the two. The “football” shaped knob on the shifter lever does just “screw off”. (My that sounds rude.)

The shifter indicator plate will come off simply but you may find the need to remove the entire centre console plate. (which on an ‘86 should be wood grain veneer.)
You begin with a screw above the window switches and removing the console storage compartment insides. It should all be clear if you are even slightly mechanical. You may need to unplug the window and roof switches to accomplish this. On your car the console cover is a two piece affair and every car previous should be a one piece that is black. But lets not digress too much then…

Now when you get all that out you will see the small maze of wires that rest under the surface and you will see the shifter enclosed in that black plastic housing secured originally by rivets. If your shifter indicator light is burned out this is an opportunity to replace it while your there. When you have the plastic housing in your hand the small light bulb is only then accessible. However the first owner or mechanic to access this area always has to remove the factory rivets. (Replace them upon reassembly with suitable small self tapping metal screws.) When that plastic housing is in your hand you can safely push out the cruise control switch and replace the broken part with the new one and reassemble according to the knowledge gained by disassembly.

By the way you will find that all of the above is reqiured in order to remove the panel behind which the fuel tank switch is fastened. Quite simple once you get there.
I encourage you to get out one afternoon and take your time with this. One thing though do be cautious with that centre console if you have one of the veneered pieces. Last check Jaguar wanted $450 CDN for that one item!
I have learned to repair them instead.

Right that should do it.
I do hope my double Scotch hasn’t blurred the simplicity of this small but very satisfying task.

Cheers! JustV12

Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 PM

My goodness How could I have missed this one!
Your steering wheel can be removed without a puller in most cases and replaced on the splines to whatever spot you wish. Best to resist the humorous options here.
No special tools required.
Yes and this is a task best done after the rack bushes are replaced if you need to.

Another time I will tell the very true story of my rack bushes on my '87 BRG XJ12 all suddenly dropping out. Of course I was on a trip, I used a coat hangar to repair it roadside. (I am not at all facetious in that) I held the rack in place long enough to get back to Ontario with it. The lesson there is, NEVER pack your travel clothes on wooden hangars!

RIght, goodnight all.

JustV12

Old 11-16-2009, 10:57 PM

v12...my 76 is a bit simpler than that. Every one of the panels you mentioned above (fuel tank switch, window switches, etc) are all separate panels on mine. My window switch panel actually just pops out, then there's one screw behind it (at the top) and two screws forward of the shifter to remove the shifter panel (I'll take pictures tomorrow). My fuel switch, etc., are coupled to this little ledge thing in my car...totally separate of my radio/temperature controls.

However, the maze of wires is the same (see my post in the INTERIORS section re rewiring the window switches...lol).

Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM

Hello Motormouth:
Yes the inside bits are decidedly more complex with series III.
Personally I like the simple access of the earlier cars. The series III car also has computer readouts on that same part you are refering to. Making it much more of a chore to do what was at one time simple.
Go to the sixties models and back, the dash panels were hinged and held in place with threaded knobs!

Simple was really very good for people like us.
Cheers.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Agreed on the simplicity thing...lol. I think that's half of why I like older cars more.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 AM

I've just started to look towards the steering rack after some minor work on the rear brakes and exhaust and it has occurred to me that I am not entirely sure where on the steering rack to look for the bushings that must be replaced. I've been working on it alone so I don't have anyone to move the steering while I'm underneath it which no doubt makes this a trickier task than it would be otherwise.

Where on the rack (in the rack??) are the bushings that ought to be replaced? Based on staring at it for a while last night I am assuming the pieces I need to replace are near the center of the rack and attached to what I think is the frame. I'll post updates when I get to that this afternoon.

Quick Reply: 1986 XJ6 questions