XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

1986 XJ6 Series 3 - Title Owner Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 10:38 PM
Received 243 Likes on 140 Posts

okay. my advice is to move forward without it. no one knows where it is. is having the license plate even requirement by the dc dmv since you are exporting the car? again, you have the title showing it was transferred between 2/3 dealers and a bill of sale to you. contact the dc dmv again and move forward without the license plate. also you do not need to involve lillian davis. she sold the car and signed over the title to srt auto sales who in turn signed it over to m&g motors. davis sold her interest in the car.

The following users liked this post:
mikega (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 11:11 PM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by retroren
okay. my advice is to move forward without it. no one knows where it is. is having the license plate even requirement by the dc dmv since you are exporting the car? again, you have the title showing it was transferred between 2/3 dealers and a bill of sale to you. contact the dc dmv again and move forward without the license plate. also you do not need to involve lillian davis. she sold the car and signed over the title to srt auto sales who in turn signed it over to m&g motors. davis sold her interest in the car.
I will then call them back, I may get another person responding to my call with much help than the first person when told me to file for replacement even though I told her is for export.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Were the issue in my home state, California, I think I would do the following.
CA has a form, "statement of facts". I would complete the form relating the transactions in chronological order. I wlould attach copies of the documents in your possesion. And an application, not for a dupplicate title, but for a title in my name!!!

But, you are in Ghana. Therefore, contact the authorities there and seee what process they have too get a title in your name. Whatever title, D>C> or VA. would need to be transfered to a Ghana title, in any event,

Carl

Old 01-21-2022, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Were the issue in my home state, California, I think I would do the following.
CA has a form, "statement of facts". I would complete the form relating the transactions in chronological order. I wlould attach copies of the documents in your possesion. And an application, not for a dupplicate title, but for a title in my name!!!

But, you are in Ghana. Therefore, contact the authorities there and seee what process they have too get a title in your name. Whatever title, D>C> or VA. would need to be transfered to a Ghana title, in any event,

Carl
Hi Carl,

In this case, the car was bought in the United States (DC) and the car is currently in the the US with a missing title not in Ghana so all the title application is to be done in the United States DC. Authorities in Ghana have no influence or power of decision in this case as much as I know unless you confirm to me authorities in Ghana would be able to issue title of the car to me from Ghana to ship the car from US.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 795 Posts

I tried to apply for a dupe title, it would have been sent to the previous owner and then you could have requested they forward it to you. How ever in this case the seller seems to have some unresolved legal issues and therefor is not able to get a dupe title.

I think in this case you are out of luck. With no title and no way to prove ownership I dont think you will get the car out of the country with out knowing the right people at the port to persuade them to assist you motivated by a significant amount of money changing hands to manage the risk of assisting you.

You have a few options..

1. At this point it's a parts car unless the title turns up. Sell it to someone in the USA willing to collect it for parts.
2. Sue the person or entity who lost the title for your damages (the value of the car)
3. Cut you losses. forget it/give it away. Consider this what a friend of mine calls 'stupid tax', we all pay it at one time or another.

Next time you buy a car overseas you must deal with reputable broker or people you know that have a reputation to maintain. In this case these people will act properly on your behalf to maintain the relationship and their reputation.
You probably dont know but DC is one of highest crime area's in the USA. Hard to believe this is the case considering it's our nations Capital city.

Last edited by icsamerica; 01-21-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
I tried to apply for a dupe title, it would have been sent to the previous owner and then you could have requested they forward it to you. How ever in this case the seller seems to have some unresolved legal issues and therefor is not able to get a dupe title.

I think in this case you are out of luck. With no title and no way to prove ownership I dont think you will get the car out of the country with out knowing the right people at the port to persuade them to assist you motivated by a significant amount of money changing hands to manage the risk of assisting you.

You have a few options..

1. At this point it's a parts car unless the title turns up. Sell it to someone in the USA willing to collect it for parts.
2. Sue the person or entity who lost the title for your damages (the value of the car)
3. Cut you losses. forget it/give it away. Consider this what a friend of mine calls 'stupid tax', we all pay it at one time or another.

Next time you buy a car overseas you must deal with reputable broker or people you know that have a reputation to maintain. In this case these people will act properly on your behalf to maintain the relationship and their reputation.
You probably dont know but DC is one of highest crime area's in the USA. Hard to believe this is the case considering it's our nations Capital city.

hi ICSThanks for your addup message, I have called the DC DMV main/direct office, the responder has taken my email address that she will discuss with the admnistrator in charge and get back to me because she also tried to call the owner whose details appear on the title and in their system but she has no phone contacts in their system.

By Monday, she will email me to know what I can do.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by mikega
hi ICSThanks for your addup message, I have called the DC DMV main/direct office, the responder has taken my email address that she will discuss with the admnistrator in charge and get back to me because she also tried to call the owner whose details appear on the title and in their system but she has no phone contacts in their system.

By Monday, she will email me to know what I can do.
Good luck. I hope that works out. Stranger things have happened.

mikega (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,172 Likes on 2,095 Posts

What do you need the title for? I'm assuming you have a bill of sale, is that plus the old title not sufficient to export the car? Or do you need a foreign title to be able to register it in Ghana?

Old 01-22-2022, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
What do you need the title for? I'm assuming you have a bill of sale, is that plus the old title not sufficient to export the car? Or do you need a foreign title to be able to register it in Ghana?
Hello Jagboi,
The title is missing and for that reason the car is not able clear customs for export without title.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
The federal government has to require proof of ownership via a properly executed title transfer otherwise the export of stolen vehicles would be many times worse than it already is.. sales receipts can be easily forged but a vehicle title is a bit more difficult in my opinion.

mikega (01-22-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 02:11 AM

Hi all,
there is a positive update to my lost title issues I have been battled with.
On April 11, 2022 the problem got finalized.
Attached some screenshots of emails exchange that went on that particular day.

Finally, the car will be shipped.

Greatest thanks to all you for support and directions in this matter more especially REN who strengthened to forward harder and smarter.

Mike.

The following 2 users liked this post by mikega:
LnrB (04-16-2022), yachtmanbuttson (04-18-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 09:52 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

Congratulations Mike! Perseverance pays off. Glad you are getting the storage charges, etc taken off.

Jeff

The following 2 users liked this post by Yellow series3:
mikega (05-26-2022), retroren (04-20-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 06:38 PM

At long last, from August 24, 2021, this car I have been ranting and panting about the title issue is shipped and sailed just yesterday 25/May/22 and expected to arrive on 10/Jun/22.
A very great thanks to all members here for various support and direction when I was stack with title thingy.

We have fought a great battle to this end.

The following 3 users liked this post by mikega:
JagCad (05-28-2022), LnrB (05-27-2022), yachtmanbuttson (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 06:35 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

Congratulations! Please post a photo when it arrives.

mikega (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
sure I will

Old 05-27-2022, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,302 Likes on 5,424 Posts

What an Arduous ordeal this has been for you!
I'm so glad your car is Finally on its way to you.
Congratulations!
(';')

mikega (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Persistance wins the day,. victory is si sweet. Kudos,. enjoy!!!
Carl

Old 05-28-2022, 01:45 AM
Received 3,964 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Well done!!

Old 07-01-2022, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
my Jag has arrived in perfect condition after stayed at the Baltimore port for close to a year.

some photos here

The following 4 users liked this post by mikega:
Brownn (07-03-2022), LnrB (07-01-2022), michaelh (07-01-2022), yachtmanbuttson (07-02-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 02:57 PM

Mike: glad you got it. how does it run? ren

mikega (07-01-2022)

Quick Reply: 1986 XJ6 Series 3 - Title Owner Search