XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 jaguar XJ6 series lll speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 jaguar XJ6 series lll speedometer problem

i had bought a 1987 jaguar xj6 on 8/1/2017 from graigslist for $1500 it was siting in the garage for 15 years before i bought it.
the speedometer wasn't working when i bought it

it's in really good shape the body is basically rustless.
but i been working on the speedometer .

i couldn't really drive it because i didn't have my drivers license and it wasn't plated
i just got my drivers license and got the tags and the plates 2 days ago 10/11/17

i've replaced the speedometer transducer/transistor brand new and the speedometer still didn't work

but i've tested the back of the speedometer itself while in drive to see if it had any power to it
an it does.

so i thought it was the speedometer gauge that wasn't working. so i bought a replacement. it was going to take 2 weeks to ship to my house.
when i got my jag on the road the new speedometer didnt come in.

so i was driving it from storage to my house the speedometer still wasn't working
but after i almost got my house the speedometer started working so i didn't go home after it started working.
i drove another 10miles to see if the speedometer would give out again. it didn't
so i went back home for the night.

the next morning i took the jaguar to work. and speedometer wasn't working again.
while i was at work my used speedometer came in through the mail.
so after work i drove back home and still no speedometer was working.
i put the used speedometer in and took it for a ride the speedometer fired right up.
i park it at my house again went back on a ride and speedometer stopped working again. but after i drive my jaguar for a little bit without the speedometer working out of no where it starts working everything.

some reason my speedometer doesn't work when first starting it up
but after i drive it for a couple of miles the speedometers starts working.

can someone please tell me whats going on and help me fix it.

like i said i replaced the transducer and the speedometer gauge.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,873 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Hi Brandon

My gut feeling is that somewhere along the line you have a loose or dirty connection, or some other type of wiring problem.

The easiest place to begin checking is behind the dash itself. The instrument wiring attaches to the main harness with multi-pin connectors that really don't lock together very securely. With the speedometer and/or tachometer removed....and possibly the under-dash trim panel as well....you should be able to see and even touch the connectors. Take a peek, give 'em a squeeze. You might get lucky with an easy fix here.

The rest of the speedometer circuit wiring requires more effort to find and inspect.

Also, the trip computer also gets its signal from the speedometer transducer. If your trip computer is operational, set it to display miles driven. If the trip computer conks out at the same time the speedometer does it suggests a problem with the transducer signal reaching the dashboard. If the trip computer still records miles driven even if the speedometer is dead, then that helps isolate the problem.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jag7651 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Doug,
your advice '' take a peek. give them a squeeze maybe you'll get lucky'' is priceless and so spot on when it comes to classic jaguar wiring.Thank you!

Old 07-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Transducer fix

Didn't really want to start a new thread.
My speedometer was intermittent and jumped around like crazy so I drove her up on ramps and took a look at the transducer. One touch of the wire and it came loose. Of course the wire broke flush with the transducer leaving nothing to solder a repair to. Not wanting to spend for a new transducer, I carefully cut right through the plastic and took off a big enough piece to expose two wires I could strip and splice to. Now which wire goes to which lead? I decided to gamble and wired it up. No luck! back under the car to reverse the wires. This is why I don't gamble! Now it's working fine and only cost me a couple hours labor.
1987 jaguar XJ6 series lll speedometer problem-qqlz2onm.jpg1987 jaguar XJ6 series lll speedometer problem-xi26fclm.jpg