XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 XJ6 hazard flasher bypass

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1987 XJ6 hazard flasher bypass

Is it possible to bypass the emergency flasher switch and hook up the turn signals?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 7,149 Posts

Sure.

Locate the light green/pink wire coming out of the hazard switch. This is the wire that carries voltage to the turn signal circuit.

All you need to do is supply the light green/pink wire with 12 volts. The green wire coming into the hazard switch would be a good source for this.

So, cut or remove both these wires for the hazard switch and join them together.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Talking They work!!!

Doug, you are a god send! This morning I went out, followed your advice and when I flipped the switch...BLINK BLINK BLINK! My question is, why didn't they just wire the turnsignals that way in the first place!?! A simple bullet plug as opposed to running through an obviously overly complicated hazard switch. I have a theory in life, "Let this be this and that be that". This would definetly apply to this situation.
Please tell me, is there a way to wire the headlights without having to go through the turn signal switch? 3000 high beam flashes to get them to stay on is a bit annoying.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 7,149 Posts

Originally Posted by marvin1960
Doug, you are a god send! This morning I went out, followed your advice and when I flipped the switch...BLINK BLINK BLINK! My question is, why didn't they just wire the turnsignals that way in the first place!?! A simple bullet plug as opposed to running through an obviously overly complicated hazard switch. I have a theory in life, "Let this be this and that be that". This would definetly apply to this situation.

Speculating on Jaguar rationale is something I gave up on years ago. I've learned to simply "accept" .

There is no such thing as an engineering flaw on a Jaguar. Anything that looks like an engineering flaw is actually just an "interesting design feature" that provides some bemused chin-stroking and soft chuckles.

It's similar to having an eccentric uncle. A little weird, not always easily understood, but somehow you grow very fond of the old guy.

Get the idea?

Please tell me, is there a way to wire the headlights without having to go through the turn signal switch? 3000 high beam flashes to get them to stay on is a bit annoying.

The headlights don't operate thru the turn signal switch itself. That is, there's no ectrical tie-in.

However, the turn signal *lever* has a tiny spring-metal tab that, when the lever is pulled, provides the ground path for the high beam relay.

Sometimes that tiny tab needs cleaning and/or re-tensioning....much as you gently bend the tabs that hold the batteries in a flashlight. Just a gentle tweak to firm-up the contact.

You'll have to remove the plastic colum shrounds....at least the lower one but maybe both....to even see the little devil. Be very gentle with the column shrounds. They're fragile. Remove the lower shroud (screws are obvious) and then look inside and you'll see the screws holding the upper shroud. Loosening (not removing) the main steering column bolts allows the column to drop down a bit to ease removal of the upper shroud.

On reassembly do not over-tighten the shroud screws.

If cleaning the little tab doesn't help then you might well have a problem with the relay, most likely dirty internal and/or external contacts/connections. Cleaning the external connections is easy. Cleaning the internal contacts means opening up the relay, which is perfectly doable.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Default Headlights...resolved!

So, acting on your advice, I turned on my headlights (nothing...of course), opened the hood and went to the relay. I jiggled this wire, jiggled that wire, jiggled this wire, and they came on. I shut the lights off, turned them on again, nothing. I went to the same wire, jiggled it, and they came on again. I turned them off again, cleaned the terminals at that wire, crimped to connector a skosh, slid it back on, and turned the lights on, and they worked. Turned them off, walked away for fifteen minutes, turned them on and they worked. I HAVE HEADLIGHTS AGAIN!!!!!