XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

1991 Jaguar XJ6 Fuel Fail 24

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 06:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1991 Jaguar XJ6 Fuel Fail 24

Hello everyone, as you can tell I’m brand new to this forum.

I want to apologize for the length of this thread although it’s necessary for the issue I’m having. Much thanks to anyone who replies in advance!

I recently purchased a 91 XJ6 Sovereign (93k miles) and am having a huge issue that’s driving me nuts. I’ll keep this as simple yet detailed as possible.

i purchased this car 3 weeks ago and it was starting and running just fine.
last week I was at Wells Fargo with the car in park and it suddenly bogged down and died. The car strarted right back up and was fine until 2 days later when it happened again. I let it sit for about a hour then took it around the block and I could barely even get it around the neighborhood without it dying while driving/accelerating multiple times in a 5 minute time frame. After several deaths, the car no longer starts at all. It cranks but no start. The car was throwing a check engine code: Fuel Fail 24. After reading up on these forums I kept seeing “ignition amplifier” so I figured that was the issue. I went ahead and replaced the ignition coil (new) and the car started. The check engine was still on so I went ahead and did the reset by disconnect the battery, waiting, and starting it back up. No check engine light. After 30 minutes the car suddenly bogged out and died again. Back to square 1. Also since I cleared the check engine code and the car can’t start to read for any faults, I’m not getting anything from the VCM besides it saying “PAD” which is referring to my brake pad sensor. Anyway Ive now replaced the Ignition module (used) from a different jag. (Note: the ignition module looked to be different but had same amount of prong connectors so i plugged it in anyway.) in the process of replacing it, I ripped the ground wire coming out of the small cylinder that sits on the same steel plate as the ignition module. I took the cylinder out and stuffed the ground wire back in and pinched it to ensure the ground was making contact inside. (Note: That ground wire connects to the ignition coil.) also in the process of replacing the ignition module i set my wrench on the battery and it made contact with the positive and negative which caused a gnarly spark for a second. I don’t think that messed with anything but figured I’d mention it. I’ve also checked the fuel pressure regulator by unplugging the vacuum line and there was no gas coming out so I’m assuming that’s good. I’m at a loss of hope and don’t know where to continue with this. This car is mint inside and out, garage kept 1 owner and I’d love to keep it on the road as I really appreciate these classic cars.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

You've posted in the wrong forum for your car, which is an XJ40 series, made 1986-94. Best post in that forum to get an answer.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,306 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Crazy, we know. Your car is badged as an XJ6, which it is - but for some bizarre reason it became customary to call this body style by its factory code name, which is XJ40. It shares nothing - nothing - with the previous generation XJ6, so as you have been told, you will get correct answers in the XJ40 forum.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve moved this post to xj40, thanks !