XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

72 wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 72 wiring harness

New 1972 xj6 owner in search of a wiring harness. Searched all over and having no luck. Anyone know where I can pick up one or any ideas on what I could use as a replacement of an original isn't available? Possibly a universal harness??

Old 04-14-2016, 05:32 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum, when you get a moment please post an intro thread for a warm welcome.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Listing your location will help people point you the right direction for help.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,375 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbeard911
New 1972 xj6 owner in search of a wiring harness. Searched all over and having no luck. Anyone know where I can pick up one or any ideas on what I could use as a replacement of an original isn't available? Possibly a universal harness??
You can try David at Everyday XJ. But I would caution you. The wiring Jaguar and many other marques used in the 70 was terrible, the copper alloy and jacketing were primitive compared to even the wiring in the 80's.

If you do find one its most likely deteriorated by time by now.

As a substitute.... you could use a series 3 wiring harness from the late 80's. It will have the right dimensions but certainly wont be a direct fit as there are many differences between the series 1 and 3. These harnesses are good, not great,

...The series 1 is a simple car typical of the era with basic circuits for lights, brakes, accessories, ignition and the like so a universal cut to fit harness would do.

Aftermarket Car Electronics Wire Harnesses | eBay

The following users liked this post:
davidboger (04-16-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Was the car in a fire....or?

Quite often people speak of 'rewiring' the car when electrical problems come up. Usually the problems can be traced, isolated, and repaired. Much less work, IMHO, than summarily replacing all the wiring.

I have some full body and fuel injection wiring harnesses from Jags. Miles and miles of pristine wiring with a relative handful of problem connectors/sections that were exposed to weather or engine heat.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2016, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Too much wierd stuff in that era for universal harness

I am trying to get my '71 XJ wipers working properly... the wiring in the car is so weirdly done (by Jaguar) that using a universal harness would be
impossible to use.

They changed wire colors, from the wiper switch for the next three to four feet of distance to the actual motor. Why? Who knows... makes trouble shooting a lot of fun... that is just the beginning of the odd wiring to make
something as simple as a wiper go two speeds.

It would have been nice if the car had modern push in fuses instead of the glass ones of that era with all the brass connectors that corrode. The whole car is full of cheap push in connectors and bad ground wires.

Stop... let us know what your specific problems are... it can be fixed.. unless your wiring burned up or rats/mice ate it all over a winter.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Was the car in a fire....or?

Quite often people speak of 'rewiring' the car when electrical problems come up. Usually the problems can be traced, isolated, and repaired. Much less work, IMHO, than summarily replacing all the wiring.

I have some full body and fuel injection wiring harnesses from Jags. Miles and miles of pristine wiring with a relative handful of problem connectors/sections that were exposed to weather or engine heat.

Cheers
DD
No fire, sat for about a decade exposed to weather conditions. I agree with you on the trace and repair solution, but this is beyond that point IMHO.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
I am trying to get my '71 XJ wipers working properly... the wiring in the car is so weirdly done (by Jaguar) that using a universal harness would be
impossible to use.

They changed wire colors, from the wiper switch for the next three to four feet of distance to the actual motor. Why? Who knows... makes trouble shooting a lot of fun... that is just the beginning of the odd wiring to make
something as simple as a wiper go two speeds.

It would have been nice if the car had modern push in fuses instead of the glass ones of that era with all the brass connectors that corrode. The whole car is full of cheap push in connectors and bad ground wires.

Stop... let us know what your specific problems are... it can be fixed.. unless your wiring burned up or rats/mice ate it all over a winter.
Wiring didn't burn up, it sat for a decade exposed to weather conditions as well as rats/mice having their fill.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
You can try David at Everyday XJ. But I would caution you. The wiring Jaguar and many other marques used in the 70 was terrible, the copper alloy and jacketing were primitive compared to even the wiring in the 80's.

If you do find one its most likely deteriorated by time by now.

As a substitute.... you could use a series 3 wiring harness from the late 80's. It will have the right dimensions but certainly wont be a direct fit as there are many differences between the series 1 and 3. These harnesses are good, not great,

...The series 1 is a simple car typical of the era with basic circuits for lights, brakes, accessories, ignition and the like so a universal cut to fit harness would do.

Aftermarket Car Electronics Wire Harnesses | eBay
Thanks for the info! Im thinking a universal cut to fit, because as you stated, the wiring used wasn't the best during that era. I did find a guy who has brand new harnesses for the series 1, but I'm wondering if it's worth it? Specially if it's going to cost me $500.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Thanks for the info! Im thinking a universal cut to fit, because as you stated, the wiring used wasn't the best during that era. I did find a guy who has brand new harnesses for the series 1, but I'm wondering if it's worth it? Specially if it's going to cost me $500.

Which harness are you/we/he talking about? There usually isn't a single harness. Typically there are several, such as instrument panel, front lighting, main body, engine bay, etc.

IMHO, offhand, $500 sounds good for a main body harness that is correct for the given application....but is sorta depends on how much is included. OTOH, $500 sounds too high for a front lamps harness or engine bay harness. Those are pretty simple

Cheers
DD

Old 04-17-2016, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Which harness are you/we/he talking about? There usually isn't a single harness. Typically there are several, such as instrument panel, front lighting, main body, engine bay, etc.

IMHO, offhand, $500 sounds good for a main body harness that is correct for the given application....but is sorta depends on how much is included. OTOH, $500 sounds too high for a front lamps harness or engine bay harness. Those are pretty simple

Cheers
DD
My turn signals and brake lights (so far) aren't working, so whichever harness or harnesses are used for those. I also have to re wire my dash gauge board back in and get it working.

Last edited by Blackbeard911; 04-17-2016 at 08:53 PM.