XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'74 XJ6 "Argentina" to sell for a friend-need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The presence of the garden hose seems to indicate the photo's are of a wet car. they all look better that way. Don't take offence, merely an observation.

IT RAINED THE DAY I TOOK THE PHOTOS. THE PAINT IS QUITE DULL. NOT TRYING TO HIDE ANYTHING

It doesn't seem that a polish job will do much to restore that finish, ie paint job needed.

CORRECT, IT HAS "15-20 FOOT" PAINT, BUT IT DOES HELP TO SEE THAT THERE IS NO BONDO THAT I CAN SEE AND NO DAMAGE I CAN SEE. FRESH PAINT IS NOT THERE HIDING ANYTHING.

And, interior restoration isn't cheap.

IT WILL NEED THAT

Oh, for safety, four hundred bucks minimum for a set of tires.

ABSOLUTELY AND THAT $400 WOULD BE CHEAP, BUT IN ALL FAIRNESS TIRES ARE TIRES. YOU MAY NEED TIRES ON ALL CARS. THE TIRES ON IT HOLD AIR BUT ARE NOT SAFE FOR THE ROAD.

So, how much labor and money will it take to make a $1500 driver out of this neglected jewel?

THAT I DON'T KNOW. AS YOU NOTE BELOW ANY RESTORATION IS A LOSING PROPOSITION, HOWEVER THIS IS A NICE STARTING POINT BECAUSE IT IS COMPLETE, UNMOLESTED, UN RUSTED, UN HIT.

And, in your scraping calculations, do you work for free in pulling what you hope will sell?

YES I DO. LOAD IT ON MY TRAILER AND THEN HALF A DAY WITH AN IMPACT, TORCH, AND SAWZALL AND I WILL HAVE WHAT I WANT OFF, THEN DRIVE TO THE SCRAPPER.

When, I lumped my car, I had a lot of stuff left over. Guess what, I still do!!

I WOULD NOT KEEP DOORS OR ANY INTERIOR, ONLY THE HOOD AS FAR AS BODY PARTS. I MIGHT KEEP THE FUEL PUMPS AND ANY QUICK/LIGHT ITEMS TO EBAY, BUT NOT MUCH THAT ISN'T COPPER, BRASS, OR ALUMINUM.

No one wanted the engine and trans. The engine was a mere core at best, but the trans was a good one. No takers. I gave them away to keep peace in the homestead.

I WOULD PULL WHAT ALUMINUM I COULD EASILY GET AND LEAVE THE REST IN THE CAR. THE BIGGEST PART I WOULD KEEP IS THE SUSPENSION. ALUMINUM IS BRINGING $0.33/LB, INSULATED COPPER $0.90/LB, AND RADIATORS ARE BRINGING $1.50/LB. IT WILL BE WORTH IT TO GUT THE TRANSMISSION, INTAKE, VALVE COVERS, ETC. FOR ALUMINUM AND CUT OUT THE EVAPORATOR AND HEATER CORE AND ANY QUICK-TO-GET WIRING FOR COPPER.

And, a stripped carcass, even if a roller isn't gonna attract much in scrap. Mebbe a free haul.

SEE ABOVE, HEAVIEST THING I WILL REMOVE IS REAR SUSPENSION AND HOOD. ANYTHING ELSE I TAKE OFF WILL BE COPPER, BRASS, OR ALUMINUM. I WILL HAUL MYSELF AND I WORK 2 MILES FROM THE SCRAPPER SO THAT IS VIRTUALLY FREE.

Perhaps lister David Boger might take it off your hands? I know he can evaluate it as a parts car.

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD

Restoration to driver level or better is a labor of love. Bucks don't count. Been there, oh so many times!!!

I UNDERSTAND. I HAVE DONE A FEW MYSELF.

I appologize for the all caps, but wanted to address each point raised.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM

As I thought about this now, I want to be reasonable and bend a bit to those who said I don't care about the car. I would be willing to take $500 plus either a complete rear suspension from another car or the one out of this one. That way it could stay together and I could satisfy my friend and pay my part too. Is that reasonable?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markdtn
All my life I have been told that the XJ12s had issues, stay away-but the XJ6 was a much better car, they are worth something.
Wow well I have certainly never heard of that!! XJ12s are almost the same car as an XJ6 except they have the V12 & a Posi rear.. V12s were good engines as long as people took proper care of them and didn't let them overheat. Posi rear ends are far superior to the XJ6 rear end set-up. Not sure who told you XJ6 was a 'better car' but it sure made me laugh!

Originally Posted by markdtn
All I want is fast scrap value.
You fail to understand the term 'scrap value'. Your car may have $900 worth of scrap metal in it altho I very highly doubt that it does and even if it does you are wanting the money for tearing the whole thing apart and seperating everything. $475 is not a bad price at all for your car keep in mind people will have to do all that work tearing it apart to make it worth the $900 value that you assume it has. Nobody is going to pay $900 if they have to then do a bunch of work just to break even at the scrap yard. I paid $1000 for my Jaguar few spots of rust but nothing major or concerning, 350 out of a Corvette that runs and shifts amazing, TH350 trans, decent condition interior put the key in, start the car, drive off for $1000 it is definitely not worth $1k if it were just scrap metal non-running. I also had a 1985 XJ6 paid $200 for it (non running obviously). If he could have torn it down and got $900 out of it don't you think he would have? To most people, 'scrap value' is what a junkyard or metal buyer will give you for your whole car without tearing anything down. Most people do not have the time, tools, or patience to tear it up themselves just for a few bucks. Just my 2 cents good luck trying to sell it but if I were you I would just take the guy on here's offer and be happy it is going to a better home instead of being turned into cans and other useless garbage.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by DreWRoolZ
...You fail to understand the term 'scrap value'. Your car may have $900 worth of scrap metal in it altho I very highly doubt that it does and even if it does you are wanting the money for tearing the whole thing apart and seperating everything. $475 is not a bad price at all for your car keep in mind people will have to do all that work tearing it apart to make it worth the $900 value that you assume it has. Nobody is going to pay $900 if they have to then do a bunch of work just to break even at the scrap yard. I paid $1000 for my Jaguar few spots of rust but nothing major or concerning, 350 out of a Corvette that runs and shifts amazing, TH350 trans, decent condition interior put the key in, start the car, drive off for $1000 it is definitely not worth $1k if it were just scrap metal non-running. I also had a 1985 XJ6 paid $200 for it (non running obviously). If he could have torn it down and got $900 out of it don't you think he would have? To most people, 'scrap value' is what a junkyard or metal buyer will give you for your whole car without tearing anything down. Most people do not have the time, tools, or patience to tear it up themselves just for a few bucks. Just my 2 cents good luck trying to sell it but if I were you I would just take the guy on here's offer and be happy it is going to a better home instead of being turned into cans and other useless garbage.

The whole thing here is a discussion over $400-500 difference. I thought that people may be willing to pay a small premium for a complete "survivor" car that wasn't rusty or wrecked. I see that I was wrong. I have restored cars and paid more for the missing parts than I have for the car. I have paid more for body work/panel replacement/floor replacement-or just body parts- than I have for the car. It just is not the case for these.

I think it is you that does not understand scrap value. I have laid out my plans in previous posts and NOBODY has told me my numbers are not accurate or attainable. I do have the time and tools and means to take the car apart. I feel that in 3-4 hours I can pull the rear suspension and gut the engine compartment for aluminum, copper, and brass. When you don't have to worry about damage, it goes pretty fast. Then I can easily get $500 at the crusher for the chassis and non-ferrous. Then I can hope to sell the suspension for $350-400 some day and the hood, fuel pumps, and smalls someday to get my $1000ish. If I was really industrious I would pull the transmission and get the case aluminum too-we will see. You guys have told me what it is worth market value as-is; $400. I get it. If you can buy them this complete and straight for that-great. I have laid out what I feel is a reasonable number to allow someone a chance. I realize it is not market value, I get that. But I feel that you don't understand my situation. It can't go back to him. I wish I could wash my hands and be done, but I can't. It can't stay where it is, my wife has been on me since I brought it home to make it go away. I am out $100 in real money. Due to helping a family member we have (over $3000) taxes to pay so it has to go. There is no waiting around anymore, I need what I can get now. You can still call me greedy and selfish, I just don't see it that way. I thank you all for your insight, I have learned a bit about these cars in the process.

Last edited by markdtn; 03-15-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark---

I'm afraid that you and the members on this site will never see eye to eye on the matter of "scrapping" the car out. Remember, the members on this site are passionate about Jags, and want to see a happy ending for each one of them. Its one of the most friendly and well educated community I've ever been a part of.

You mentioned you were more of an American car guy, something I have a fair bit of experience in. Lets turn the tables a bit and theoretically change the car and forum. Lets say this is a Chevrolet Chevelle forum, and the car you have is a 1975 Chevelle Laguna Coupe with the old Chevy I6 under the hood. By no means is this a highly collectible or desirable car but they're isn't many colonnade coupes left in solid condition. It needs work but its mostly there.

On the Chevelle forum, you look for a reasonable price to sell the car at and multiple members politely tell you that half of your asking is more appropriate. Since you think that's an insult, you tell these Chevelle enthusiasts how you're going to rip this car apart bit by bit to get a little more money. Obviously, the forum guys are going to be pissed. You asked for advice, received it, then told them how you're going to destroy the car instead. Even if its not the car they like/collect/drive/lust they want to see a car go to the right home.

We've all sold something for a little less than it was worth to see it go to the right person. I'm always happy to see it go to someone who is excited about it and feel like I did the right thing for the car/motorcycle. Keep in mind, I've parted out vehicles and I know it can go quick but some are just not right to do that to. At the end of day, the vehicle is yours and yours to do with as you please. However, informing us how you ripped the trans out through the bulkhead might not be a good idea.

Last edited by Johnny Bouncewell; 03-15-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Formatting, tYpos
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnny Bouncewell:
Norri (03-15-2013), trymes (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well said, Johhny.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:26 PM

I take no pleasure in what I have to do-that is why I have kept it this long. I have been backed into a corner and I have to get out.

I go back to 3 things-
1)you are not going to find a complete rust free, no hit Chevelle Laguna that kinda runs for $400 or even $900. (if you find a rusty body with the nose on it for that let me know, last I heard the nose alone was over $1000 for those). You will not find a similar Impala, Camaro, or Corvette for that money-or a Vega. You might find a Citation or a Chevette, but I think this is a different class of car. Same thing on the Ford or Chrysler side.

2)almost every response I have gotten is people who have cars that are already done. Most of them seem to buy them done-cheap. I have not seen anybody reply who loves Jags and has a passion for the project. That is the person I had hoped to find. The person who could save a little out of a big budget build by buying a nice car to start with. I have bought project cars that were missing parts and rusty. You are SO FAR ahead to buy a project with no body issues to deal with and that have all the parts there.

3)We aren't talking about a whole lot of money difference. $400-500 is not a lot of money in the grand scheme to a buyer, but I need it to be there.

I appreciate your input. I am afraid at this point that I couldn't give it away on this site. That was never my intent. What I really wanted was to find a guy that always wanted an XJ6 to build from the ground up that wanted a rust-free starting point.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike,

Don't think that, with one vocal exception, we don't understand your plight. Our hearts just go out to the car.

This is far from the most heavily trafficked jaguar site in the US, BTW. You might consider posting on the Jag-Lovers site, and even The Jaguar Experience. Heck, the Saloon Car Club of Canada has plenty of US members who might jump at a forlorn Jag.

Even though the dollar values are different, Johnny's point is still valid. No matter the facts on the ground, we'll be sad to see the car scrapped. Fact is, though, that these cars are still relatively unloved and plentiful, and they come with a misleading reputation for reliability problems. Prices reflect that. In the coming years, though, be it five, ten, or twenty, prices should move upwards as the collector demographics change and more and more cars are lost to the crusher.

In the end, you're the one with the title in your hand, so...

Have you checked with David @ everydayxj?

Tom

Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Thank you for your point the a new direction. I listed it on both sites mentioned.

I have been thinking about the Chevelle illustration. If I had a 75 Laguna with 6 cyl, I could pull the nose and do the same thing. The radiator, heater core, evaporator, and condensor are worth $100-same as the Jag. Easy to get wiring is worth maybe $25-same as the Jag. A TH350 transmission core is $50-75. There isn't much other aluminum that is easy to get. Assuming no special wheels, console, swivel bucket seats, tilt column, or "good" dash; the rest of the car weighs about 3700# so less nose and goodies I am still in that $500 range at the scrapper-same as the Jag. Whatever I can get for the nose and transmission (and aforementioned desirable interior parts or wheels) is gravy. My point is this. Most any car that weighs in the 4000# range can easily yield $500 at the scrapper. Whatever key parts pulled are left to make the difference. In the case of the I6 Chevelle Laguna, it's the nose. In the case of the XJ6 it's the IRS rear (I hope). There are very few full-sized cars that don't have some component that is worth a few hunded dollars. That is what I am counting on.