XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

77 XJ12L - Engine timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
pic of my adjustable vac unit.

you put a small allen wrench into the vac hose nipple, and turn a set screw in or out that puts more or less tension on the spring,.

i had to adapt it to the jag base, with rings to clamp it together.
Is that what they look like? See pic. I beat my hands up good just getting the hose off and on to check the timing change. :-)

Thanks. I am pretty sure I only have the retard function.

Given the retard function works and the mechanical goes up to around 40, I ain't jacking with it until I get the basics nailed down. Then I may get frisky with some mods.

Today's basics are fuel that looks like mud, BTW.

Fitted a new fuel filter yesterday and after it finally started, it spun more freely and quickly that I have ever heard it. For about ten seconds. Then the same symptoms - intake backfiring and feathering of the pedal to just keep it running. It has always spun up ok but never this freely for those few seconds.

Originally Posted by JagCad
Bob:

You are probably looking in the wrong place for your "beer".
Oh, I have access to plenty of fine beers. Nearby grocery store sells big jugs o' micro-brewery beer. Much more efficient and tastier than Milwaukees Best Ice.

I was simply helping Grant identify my frame of mind after drinking my
daily medicinal requirements. I can afford $6.99 per day. The growler jugs get spendy when one has volume entitlement issues like me.

Regarding the "pleasure" of working on the V12, I am impressed with much of the build design as well as the build quality. The transmission mount was over the top as to complexity but still pretty cool once I wrapped my head around it with the help of some links and Kirby's book.

Grant -

Thanks for the Joseph Lucas theory document. Fortunately, I opened it before I got my drink on and that probably saved my life given risk of choking. My favorite is "A gentleman does not motor about after dark".

I have twice tried delivering the joke about smoke making electrical systems work. I need to polish the delivery some.

OK, enough rambling. Thanks all.

Attached Thumbnails 77 XJ12L - Engine timing-resizedimage_1381341458237.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM

Uh oh.

Regarding muddy fuel. I just remembered, last June when the car was at my pals house, I had him put a can of Sea Foam in each tank before I drove it to my shop 120 miles east.

Car has been sitting since 1992. This should be fun.

Edit: Just found a thread where Grant says there is a pre-filter in the tank (or near by) that filters before the gravity feed to the pumps.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 10-09-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:09 AM
Received 10,504 Likes on 6,936 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Kontak
Uh oh.

Regarding muddy fuel. I just remembered, last June when the car was at my pals house, I had him put a can of Sea Foam in each tank before I drove it to my shop 120 miles east.

Car has been sitting since 1992. This should be fun.

Edit: Just found a thread where Grant says there is a pre-filter in the tank (or near by) that filters before the gravity feed to the pumps.
Bugga comes more to mind.

That filter is more of a fine mesh screen encapsulating (big word for me) the pick up pipe, or in this case, the supply syphon pipe. It really only "filters' solids like rust scale, etc. It will not filter water etc, as it is not that fine.

Pre filters in the hose prior to the pump have only managed to reek havoc with fuel starvation to the pump from MY experience. These pumps really do rely on seriously good gravity supply of fuel to work anywhere near properly.

I would be dropping the drain plugs and flushing the tanks with either Metho or "real petrol" if its available, and then do ALL the fuel lines.

As you said, "fun will be had".

Last edited by Grant Francis; 10-10-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I would be dropping the drain plugs and flushing the tanks with either Metho or "real petrol" if its available, and then do ALL the fuel lines.
Thank you, Grant.

Is the screen mesh filter accessible?

Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Received 10,504 Likes on 6,936 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Kontak
Thank you, Grant.

Is the screen mesh filter accessible?
Usually falls out with the big plug, but some need fishing out, and that can damage them so care will be needed.

Our '76 Daimler was one of them, as someone had been there before. So I simply lifted one corner and flushed the tank, and "bent" it back down again. As I said they were a token effort in my opinion, but certainly not token enough to remove totally.

We don't get too many issues with tank rust here where I am, as Ethanol fuels are rare. We still get it in poorly stored cars, as anyone does.

I will try and find a parts schematic later tonight, after work, and repost if successful.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
We don't get too many issues with tank rust here where I am, as Ethanol fuels are rare. We still get it in poorly stored cars, as anyone does.
My pal who owns the jag has a humidity controlled garage. I think he does pretty well with the other five cars he has, but over time he has been discouraged with the Jag. I know he has put big bucks into fuel tank issues with one not working and the gas spewing out of the carbon canister.

So both tanks work but I do think I pushed this car over the top though with the Seafoam in the gas tanks.

This thread is named timing. I realize it's not protocol to weave to another topic (fuel). Sorry about that.