XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84' Series 3 Jaguar Xj6 VDP Wood Trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 84' Series 3 Jaguar Xj6 VDP Wood Trim

Hey all! I'll start out by saying that I'm still fairly new to the jag community and I'm still learning the anatomy of the cars themselves, so I'm treading lightly so I don't come off as a huge dumbass lol.

I recently purchased this series 3 xj6 and the guy before me had it sitting in the sun with the wood damaged in the process. It looks like he tried to strip it and re-paint it and did an awful job. There's patches of the polyurethane on the wood still mixed with plastic and several different colours of the wood.

Needless to say; the wood is tarnished. I was wondering if anyone had any place, website, or online seller to buy new wood trim. I'm really not looking to take it out of my car and ship it somewhere to be fixed. I'd rather pay for a new set.

Thanks! -James
(I'll try and get some pictures of the current state of the wood. I'll put a "Warning, Graphic Image" to let people know it isn't for the faint of heart lol

Old 09-21-2021, 07:47 PM
Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

I've sourced panel parts from www.myrtleltd.com in the UK. They supply the panels from scratch, not core or refinish. I recently put some pictures of my car in the thread "Ok, so I like my XJ6" down a ways in this forum. The main panel is NOS but the others are from Myrtle Ltd.

The following users liked this post:
james deffinger (09-23-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by nileseh
I've sourced panel parts from www.myrtleltd.com in the UK. They supply the panels from scratch, not core or refinish. I recently put some pictures of my car in the thread "Ok, so I like my XJ6" down a ways in this forum. The main panel is NOS but the others are from Myrtle Ltd.

Awesome, thank you for that. Is the installation pretty easy? I've disassembled the dashboard and gotten the wood out. I'm more curious about the side caps and center console and how exactly to change them out

Old 09-21-2021, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by james deffinger

Needless to say; the wood is tarnished. I was wondering if anyone had any place, website, or online seller to buy new wood trim. I'm really not looking to take it out of my car and ship it somewhere to be fixed. I'd rather pay for a new set.

https://cgautowood.com/index.php?rou...&search=jaguar

Madera Concepts - Jaguars

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Jag7651 (09-24-2021), james deffinger (09-23-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 09:17 PM

From what I've heard, cgauto isn't reliable and a lot of people don't even get the wood they order. But I'll give Madera a call tomorrow and see what they say.
Thanks,

James

Old 09-22-2021, 09:19 AM

I think the main instrument panel is probably the most difficult.
The entire console has to come out to replace the upper part (where the trip computer is). The upper and lower console components screw together and it's tough to separate them in the car. Then it's just how far you want to go. The ski slope is easy, on the Myrtle part the shift opening is a bit tight. The switch holes need to be cleared of the lacquer that accumulates on the opening edges. The AC-radio panel is tedious because the AC control panel needs to be disassembled including all the fiber optic illumination. There are 2 of these panels available: one for the later DIN radio (shown on their website) another for the early post mount radio (you have to request this). The side rails on the doors are easy once the door panel is removed from the door. The rear console panels on the VDP cars is again just disassembly and reassembly.
I'd characterize the job as tedious, not hard. If you're replacing rather than refinishing fairly straightforward.

james deffinger (09-23-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 10:20 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

British Autowood in Florida. What I did was order some old used wood from David at everydayxj.com and had him ship directly to Saul at British AutoWood who then did a beautiful job re-veneered the pieces and he then shipped them to me. They are absolutely spectacular and reasonably priced.

Jeff

LnrB (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 10:34 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

When I replaced my woodwork in both of my cars I made three videos which may help you. The dashboard removal is a series II style but is the same as my series III.

The following 5 users liked this post by Yellow series3:
Doug (09-22-2021), Jag7651 (09-24-2021), james deffinger (09-23-2021), LnrB (09-22-2021), Noah (09-23-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

it is a complete dismantling of the dash so do not expect an easy job. And if you do not mark where every wire goes, you will never forgive yourself during reassembly.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:49 PM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
" And if you do not mark where every wire goes, you will never forgive yourself during reassembly."

That is so easy for reconnecting.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:31 AM

I think the main instrument panel is probably the most difficult.
The entire console has to come out to replace the upper part (where the trip computer is). The upper and lower console components screw together and it's tough to separate them in the car. Then it's just how far you want to go. The ski slope is easy, on the Myrtle part the shift opening is a bit tight. The switch holes need to be cleared of the lacquer that accumulates on the opening edges. The AC-radio panel is tedious because the AC control panel needs to be disassembled including all the fiber optic illumination. There are 2 of these panels available: one for the later DIN radio (shown on their website) another for the early post mount radio (you have to request this). The side rails on the doors are easy once the door panel is removed from the door. The rear console panels on the VDP cars is again just disassembly and reassembly.
I'd characterize the job as tedious, not hard. If you're replacing rather than refinishing fairly straightforward.

I'll take note of that. Thank you for your help. I also just looked at your thread, your car looks amazing! Where did you find the toolset for the boot? I can't find one for the life of me ):

Old 09-23-2021, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
When I replaced my woodwork in both of my cars I made three videos which may help you. The dashboard removal is a series II style but is the same as my series III.

Dashboard removal

Gauge removal

Trip panel removal

Hey man! I immediately saw your videos when I thought of replacing my wood. I already removed my dashboard and I used your video to the tee. Great stuff! Subscribed and liked (: thanks for your help

Old 09-23-2021, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
British Autowood in Florida. What I did was order some old used wood from David at everydayxj.com and had him ship directly to Saul at British AutoWood who then did a beautiful job re-veneered the pieces and he then shipped them to me. They are absolutely spectacular and reasonably priced.

Jeff
I didn't even think about doing that, what a great idea. Thank you

Old 09-23-2021, 09:56 AM

The tool kit in the trunk came from a lot of patience and bits from eBay and other places. It has all the components shown in the parts manual, plus a workshop rag and a pair of nitrile gloves. I've even had the occasion to use some of the tools. The mount for it is a replica of the factory mounting I reverse engineered from a photograph of one in Australia. I water-jet cut the parts, spot welded them together and mounted it to the car in the holes already existing. Came out nice.

I have another kit, but its for an XJ12. The tools are slightly different, most significantly the spark plug wrench.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:01 AM

Here's the mount before it went in the car....

Old 09-23-2021, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

The tool kit in the trunk came from a lot of patience and bits from eBay and other places. It has all the components shown in the parts manual, plus a workshop rag and a pair of nitrile gloves. I've even had the occasion to use some of the tools. The mount for it is a replica of the factory mounting I reverse engineered from a photograph of one in Australia. I water-jet cut the parts, spot welded them together and mounted it to the car in the holes already existing. Came out nice. I have another kit, but its for an XJ12. The tools are slightly different, most significantly the spark plug wrench.

Hi, yes the toolkit shown above is/was for the XJ-6. The V12 toolkit is a larger case with one extra tool

Last edited by Jose; 09-24-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:02 AM

Right, but the XJ12 toolkit I have is the same case as that of the XJ6. The SNG website shows the toolkit, but few of the components are available.

The main difference is the spark plug wrench, the V12 seems to use the smaller hex plugs than the 6. Also it has a universal swivel to make it easier to use. But the notion of changing the plugs on a V12 in the field seems remote. Also my kit doesn't have the hub cap remover although it's shown in the SNG image (item 5). There is neither to place to put it in the case.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

yes and the tommy bar in the V12 kit makes no sense either since there is no separate spark plug socket in the kit

When I bought my 1984 XJ-6 it had the toolkit, sometime later I found out it was not stock but a Dealer Courtesy item also sold separately in the accesory catalogs of the 1980's. However it looks like the V12 cars came with the tookits standard..