Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'84 SIII Gas tank question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
so later solenoids have three wires then? (one of the 3 wires being the ground wire).

For the purpose of this modification let's forget 'three wires'. The 'controller solenoid' in the drivers door has three wires. That's a different story not relevant here.

My trunk lock solenoid....yours should be the same....has a single wire. It needs to be two wires for the mod to work. The connector already has a vacant terminal to use.

and where do I connect the 2nd "pull" wire to the solenoid? I am interested in doing this, so running a new wire is no problem.
You'd tap into the existing door lock wiring which is set up to provide two-direction operation of the solenoids.

Connect your new wire to an orange/red 'unlock' wire presently in use for the door solenoids, probably most easily found in the b-pillar area

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jose (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

sounds simple enough Doug, and to think I just threw away two spools of insulated copper wire. back to the dumpster to find them.

finding that orange/red wire to tap it might be the worst part of the job, then running it to and thru the trunk lid, ouch!

Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Default Trunk lock modification

The mod works!

To recap

The plunger of the solenoid pushes the linkage rod outward (towards the right side of the car) to lock the trunk. However, there is no pull-back capability to UNlock the trunk. First, the slot that the linkage rod resides in is intentionally too long so that any pull-back of the rod is simply wasted motion. Second, the solenoid is wired to only plunge outward and not to fully retract. It will return to a neutral position but that isn't enough ooomph or travel to unlock the lock

First.....

Place a small screw (and nut) into the slot of the actuating arm as shown in the picture. This prevents the wasted motion. In the picture I displaced the linkage rod so as to clearly photograph the small screw

Second....

Add a second wire to the circuit so as to allow full retraction/reverse direction when the central locking system is triggered to UNlock.

The solenoid already has two wires terminating in a connector but only ONE wire ...the lock wire....goes from the connector into the cabin. Add a second wire to the empty cavity of the connector and run it into the cabin. (This is the most time consuming part of the job by far!)

You'll have to tap into one of the orange/red UNlock wires. I went directly to the unlock relay behind the LH kick panel and used a piggy-back connector. You should also be able to find an orange/red unlock behind the B-pillar...but getting behind the trim panel there is even more labor.

Now the locking system will fully retract the trunk lock solenoid so as to provide enough pull-back of the linkage rod AND, when pulled back, there is no wasted motion in the linkage rod thanks to the small screw in the slot

The above is how the mod is done if with Lucas lock solenoids.

If you have the later Kiekert lock motors the mod is the same as far as the linkage rod. However, the motor is already wired for reverse travel so you shouldn't need to do any wiring changes. The change from solenoids to motors was mid/late 1985 model year

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails '84 SIII Gas tank question...-trunk-mod.jpg  

Last edited by Doug; 12-20-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hopefully the pic will be right way 'round this time!

Grrr. Nope

Anyhow, the picture should be rotated 90º to the right

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails '84 SIII Gas tank question...-lock2.jpg  
Old 12-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

the famous screw

Attached Thumbnails '84 SIII Gas tank question...-lock2.jpg  
Old 12-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member