XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

85 SII XJ6 Exhaust options Do I have Euro spec?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2024 | 08:24 PM
|
Default 85 SII XJ6 Exhaust options Do I have Euro spec?

I just brought home an 85 XJ6 to keep my SII E Type company, and it needs a new downpipe. It has two cats, one on each downpipe, and they stay duals quite a way back until they meet the center catalytic converter. All the new downpipes have a single cat and single output... am I safe to assume those fit my car, although I'd have to replace the center section Y-pipe to the common style?
It's just odd that my car has a different setup to all the others I've seen, but it's all original low mile car. It has a Euro light switch and all the manuals are in German...

I really just wanted to do a downpipe and not change the rest, but I think I have no choice. The previous owner smashed the pipe up front underneath and then tried to weld up a hole- making it worse. It seems my car might have been a gray market import from Germany.

Has anyone tried those new downpipes with converter that run about $300 that are sold everywhere? I could go catless, but would have to weld on an O2 sensor bung and put a spacer in (I assume) to keep the car from popping an error light.
Any info would be appreciated.

Old 10-17-2024 | 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VTSummit
I just brought home an 85 XJ6 to keep my SII E Type company, and it needs a new downpipe. It has two cats, one on each downpipe, and they stay duals quite a way back until they meet the center catalytic converter. All the new downpipes have a single cat and single output... am I safe to assume those fit my car, although I'd have to replace the center section Y-pipe to the common style?
It's just odd that my car has a different setup to all the others I've seen, but it's all original low mile car. It has a Euro light switch and all the manuals are in German...

What's on your car does not sound like a factory installation. The factory system looks like this

The illustration does not show the original style underbody converter although a part number is given.

It seems my car might have been a gray market import from Germany.
Post some pics!

A Germany-spec car would [almost certainly] have the high compression engine...which is a bonus!

Has anyone tried those new downpipes with converter that run about $300 that are sold everywhere? I could go catless, but would have to weld on an O2 sensor bung and put a spacer in (I assume) to keep the car from popping an error light.
Any info would be appreciated.
You won't get an error light/check engine light because the Series III cars never had one. So....no worries there !

Cheers
DD

Old 10-17-2024 | 08:54 PM
|

I have heard of this style of exhaust existing- where it stays dual until the converter, just never saw one. I have no doubt the exhaust is original, but it is odd. Time to research the history of the car- it does have a sticker that shows it was imported by a company called German Automotive Inc or something similar... I'll take another look tomorrow. With my luck, I'd get the new downpipe and find out it doesn't fit my manifolds... but I could probably just cut my system near the rear cat and put in an intermediate pipe. There is a warning light for oxygen sensor on the dash, but I don't know what the criteria is to trigger it- the manual just says to take it for service if it comes on.
Tomorrow I'll dive deeper into it and grab a pic of the downpipes- but I'm 99% certain it's all original. The car has super low miles and the condition and construction of the pipes is all consistent with it all being the same age. My hope was a quick and easy fix so I can get it inspected and on the road before snow falls and it gets put away for the winter.

Old 10-17-2024 | 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VTSummit
I have heard of this style of exhaust existing- where it stays dual until the converter, just never saw one. I have no doubt the exhaust is original, but it is odd. Time to research the history of the car- it does have a sticker that shows it was imported by a company called German Automotive Inc or something similar... I'll take another look tomorrow.
It's common for grey market importers to add cat convertors to bring the car into compliance with the regulations of whatever country it is coming into. Other additions or changes are common as well...depending on a slew of variables.

With my luck, I'd get the new downpipe and find out it doesn't fit my manifolds...
Won't be a problem. The manifolds were the same for all Series III 4.2 cars

There is a warning light for oxygen sensor on the dash, but I don't know what the criteria is to trigger it- the manual just says to take it for service if it comes on.
Purely mileage driven. An "Intervalometer" simply triggers the light to come on every 30,000 miles. That's it. Nothing more !

Tomorrow I'll dive deeper into it and grab a pic of the downpipes- but I'm 99% certain it's all original. The car has super low miles and the condition and construction of the pipes is all consistent with it all being the same age.
Does it look somewhat like this?

XJ6 & XJ12 Exhaust Systems | aj6 ...

If so, it isn't a Jaguar system.

Cheers
DD

Old Yesterday | 12:10 AM
|

I'm glad my E-Type doesn't have all this stuff! So much easier!

As for that last pic- it's similar in that it has the long dual pipes, but the curve of the downpipes and angle of cats are different- they look a lot more like my E downpipes with very gradual curves. Is that an aftermarket exhaust? With the low miles and most of its life in storage, it seems odd that an aftermarket system would be on the car with the same 'patina' as the rest of the car unless it was fitted when new for some reason. "Get another Jaguar, it'll be kind of familiar" they said... this XJ6 is unlike any of the other 40 or 50 British cars I've had over the years!
Thanks so much for the info- I've got a LOT of reading to do to figure this car out. I'll just replace the downpipe and center section and for now- keep the rear section until/unless I decide to do something different back there. My son is involved in this project, and I suspect he may want to use a throatier exhaust.

Old Yesterday | 06:01 AM

Catching up on Doug's comments re the Engine light. I have a new SS Bell manifold from SNG Barratt. See pic below.

My Canadian 85 XJ6 has EFI and a Downpipe Cat and O2 sensor. I assume I need to weld an O2 adaptor to the Bell to accept the sensor? Am I correct, as the UK cars with no pollution stuff has a factory manifold that I don't believe has a sensor. Again, am I right? If the sensor is necessary for the EFI system, what do UK cars use? Ian

Old Yesterday | 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=iramphal;2794324]

My Canadian 85 XJ6 has EFI and a Downpipe Cat and O2 sensor. I assume I need to weld an O2 adaptor to the Bell to accept the sensor?[quote]

Right

Am I correct, as the UK cars with no pollution stuff has a factory manifold that I don't believe has a sensor. Again, am I right?
Right

If the sensor is necessary for the EFI system, what do UK cars use? Ian

They have a "non-Lambda" ECU which doesn't use oxygen sensor input. The fuel metering is a bit less precise without the oxygen sensor constantly fine-tuning the mixture.

Cheers
DD

Old Yesterday | 08:55 AM

Thank you Doug. Guess it's time to find a welding shop and an O2 adaptor boss. Ian