XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

'86 Headlight Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 Headlight Failure

Hello! I've recently bought a low mileage '86 XJ6 and have fallen in love with that year and model. Driving home the other night in the dark my headlights went out without warning. I've checked the fuses and the relay, so I am assuming the switch on the column has gone out. I started to tare into the shroud this morning to get at the switch and thought it better to ask for help. Would any one here have a step by step guide on how to replace the high/low beam switch?

Any help is appreciated!
Cheers,
Devon

Old 10-27-2020, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,865 Posts

did you check the 4 fuses next to the coolant tank in the engine compartment? are those the fuses you checked?

I doubt it is the headlight switch, which is not in the column but in the dash fascia, left lower corner of dash if car is LHD.
More likely it is the headlights RELAY if not the fuses.

what else does not work? That might be a clue.

Last edited by Jose; 10-27-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:40 PM

I did check the fuses by the coolant tank. The only thing that is not working are the headlights, both low and high beams.

What makes me think its the switch is that prior to the lights going off the other night, when I would stitch between low and high there was an audible click, but now there is no click and no lights.

Thanks.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Default the relay

the click you hear is the RELAY.
Located in the engine compartment too. Same side as the headlights fuse box and coolant tank. It is a silver Hella relay with red coated resistors sticking out from the wiring. Wiggle the wires connected to the relay, the spade connectors could be corroded and all they need is a little cleaning.
If no luck, the relay or the resistors are fried. Contact David at www.everydayxj.com for a good used one.

Last edited by Jose; 10-27-2020 at 05:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davidboger (10-27-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Might try a couple of other things , then get stuff from David.

1. Simply roll each fuse in it's cradle. Improves contact. I call it the "finger roll". A term taken from basket ball..

2. Check each fuse for continuity, A meter or merely a test lamp.

3. Remove the fuse block from it's cradle. use contact cleaner and a brush. Scrub them well.

4. Find the ground at the front by the wing wall and radiator. . Remove the eyelet and clean and lube the ground.

If none of there get lights,. see David...

I term it "electrickery"!! I did not coin the word, but have populrized it..

Carl

The following users liked this post:
davidboger (11-05-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 11:58 AM

I just did the "finger roll" and cleaned the relay, still nothing. Does it make a difference that I have no high or lows?

And by saying to remove the cradle, do you mean to remove the whole fuse box? And also the ground for the headlight fuse box?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2020, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yes. to to access the connections to the fuses. wire terminals.

Fuses may look good and be open inside.

No the ground up front for the lamp sockets. Each lamp must be grounded.

Do you have access to the Jaguar Schematic publication S57. Might be available here.

A must for these cars. Best I've ever used. Trace the circuitry.

But, alas it might be in the stalk. The selection to flash or select low and dim This circuit gos through the "hazard" switch. In many critters, merely exercising it several times clears corrosion and restores the lights!

Carl

Old 10-28-2020, 03:30 PM

Alright, I'll replace all the fuses and remove the housing to clean the connections. Would all the lights go out if only one lamp wasn't grounded properly?

The hazards still work, I used them the night the lights went out, as do all of the other lights, running, reverse, license plate, etc.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,130 Likes on 625 Posts

I'll offer this; if you have a volt/ohm meter check for 12vdc coming into the headlight relay on the BROWN , this should be hot all the time. Check on the BLUE wire when the light switch is turned on, should be 12vdc. Chase the problem from there. I can attest to what has been posted on this Forum a thousand times, a good ground is a must in these cars and sometimes hard to keep.

Getting a copy of S57 Electrical Schematics is a must, it will also help you follow along with all the great suggestions and help offered on this Forum. Here's a picture of the S57 schematic of the headlight circuits.

Dave

Notice where all the grounds are, S57 will also show you where to find them on the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by LT1 jaguar:
Doug (10-28-2020), JagCad (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 07:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lostintime
I did check the fuses by the coolant tank. The only thing that is not working are the headlights, both low and high beams.

What makes me think its the switch is that prior to the lights going off the other night, when I would stitch between low and high there was an audible click, but now there is no click and no lights.

Thanks.
My two cents,... I've had more than one problem with the relay. Not always consistent either. I'd spend time in that area.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,130 Likes on 625 Posts

Just for future knowledge, the cover on the original headlight relay can be removed and then a fair amount of servicing can be done to the innerd's. It is a mechanical relay with contacts that can be cleaned up if necessary. The high-to-low beam and flash functions from the steering column stalk operate a toggle type affair that could have a little lube added if necessary. It's been awhile since I've had mine apart, there might be another adjustment that can be done also. That would cover a big part of it's operation and probably solve a lot of problems that prove to the relay.

The following 2 users liked this post by LT1 jaguar:
anjum (10-31-2020), Doug (10-30-2020)