XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

'86 XJ6 Air Conditioning Work: Hose Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '86 XJ6 Air Conditioning Work: Hose Stuck

Hi, I'm back on the Jaguar: replacing a leaking water pump and AC compressor. I am having a struggle with getting the suction hose (evaporator to compressor via the fuel cooler) off. I cannot get either end's fitting to budge.
Of course, at the evaporator end I have to worry about damaging the evaporator.
I tried heating the nut on the evaporator end a little; no effect.

Anyone have any advice on getting the hose off, please share.

I thought about cutting the line off and getting a 1 1/4 inch socket on the nut, but that burns a bridge in that I can't stop once I cut the hose. As it is, I can leave it but it has the old black O-rings and, although it's not leaking that I can tell, it is old.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts
Default few ideas....

Are you using line wrenches? ...The open end of a combination wrench probably wont get it don't.

Tap the fitting with a hammer to create micro crack in the bind. Try to get something solid on the back side while you tap.

Try penetrating oil over night.

Try heating the non fuel cooler side a bit more.

If all else that fails get two pipe wrenches with long arms for leverage. This would be a last resort because it may damage the fitting. Also may be difficult to do on the evap side.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I've met that malady twice in recent years. First on the Jaguar. As I was in the midst of major surgery on it, I chose not to risk cracking the evaporator. I cut the hose and used a socket to remove it with little effort. Much better leverage with a long extension on the ratchet. I did use a second wrench on the other side to absorb the torque. A new hose isn't all that expensive when compared to the risk of a busted evaporator inlet!!! In my case, new hoses were a part of it's repair, to include green O rings for R134A.

The second was on my Jeep PS. Hose blew and leaked like a sieve! The lower fitting was barely accessible with a wrench. I could not get enough torque on it. A short hacksaw bladed tool made short work of the metal end. Yahoo, I expected a battle.
Then, a socket, long extension and a rachet made quick work of it. I was able to adequately tighten the new on with a line wrench.

Think, access with long extensions like the pros do!! An air rachet is even more fun!!!

Carl

Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanks, guys. I thought about cutting the hose as I intend to replace it anyway. That will work if I can get the fitting off; otherwise I am screwed.
I am of course limited as to what wrench I can get on the backup, on the fitting on the evaporator tube.
I am going to have to do something; when I get my courage up, I will proceed...

Describe the process to remove the evaporator from the Series III, if you have done one.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

before cutting anything ide try getting a line wrench or a large, well made shiftier that fits on there nice and tight then give it a few sharp blows with the hammer. it usually loosens everything minus the tightest of nuts. one of my good friends is a fitter by trade and uses this method on 3 inch nuts without fail, so the inch nut in the jaguar shouldn't be an issue.
it works because it breaks the seal of corrosion between the threads.

regards,
jay

Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM

OK, I sawed the pipe off where it comes out of the large 1 1/8 inch nut, then I could get a socket on it. I braced my backup wrench with a hammer so I could brace the socket wrench with both hands, and I got the nut off without damaging the evaporator coil.
A little soak with PB Blaster might have helped.