XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

88 XJ6 - Sat for 5 years!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 XJ6 - Sat for 5 years!

Okay, we're trying to get this Jag from my father in law since they're not doing anything with it besides letting it sit. It has now sat for 5 years without being started. What I am looking for is some guidance in restoring it. My first priority is getting it started.

What would be the necessary things that I would have to do in order to even try to start this car? Thanks for all your help in advance!

Old 04-23-2011, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

I've brought more cars like that back from the dead than I care to remember!
First thing I'd do is have a good look at the short fuel injector hoses to make sure there aren't any cracks/splits. They'll probably need replacing anyway, but if you start it and they are leaking you may end up in tears.
Any gas left in the tank is probably turned to varnish by now, or is punky. You'll want to drain it out and pour it on your neighbors flower garden (assuming you don't like them).
I'd also check all the fluids but don't change the oil until you know it runs.
You didn't mention whether the car was stored inside or out, so check the intake filters and tubes for mouse nests. Once you've determined everything looks good, try cranking the motor a few times but shut it off the moment it starts. The engine bearings are likely to be oil dry, so cranking it helps circulate the oil. Do that a few times, then allow it to run for a brief time. Less than a minute or so. Then check for oil, gas and coolant leaks.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jamey! I'm glad to hear there may be some life left in it. I saw other posts on other forums that have said there is a good chance that it was going to be destined for the junkyard!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Derek, you may want to also try putting some light machine oil (3-in-1 oil) into the cylinders to help break the rust ring that might be there and to also give the cylinders something to slide against vice being metal on metal. That is about the only other thing that I would add. You may want to also consider a bottle of oil detergent if the valves are noisy. I did that with a boat motor that sat for a long time and you could hear the valves quiet down over the course of 30 seconds even though the motor had been running for 10 minutes up to that point.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

All good suggestions so far.

You might also check for a clogged drain tube from the gas filler area, particularly if the car sat outside.
That area tends to fill with debris and clog the drain hose, leading to water making its way into the tank.

Here's a link to a LONG thread about some of the adventures I ran into whilst trying to bring my '90 Sovereign back from the dead.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...chevuar-38533/
Warning! ... lots of BS and general foolishness on that thread. Good fun but you'll have to separate the wheat from the chaff!
I'd start about post # 13 and pick my way from there.
Maybe it will help you avoid some of the mistakes I made.
Good luck!