XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

91 xj6 blows fuse wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 xj6 blows fuse wont start

I just aquired my first Jag (YAY) i got it from my boss who had it for a while but then one day he went out and it would not start hit the starter and it started. Then when he parked it it would not start again so he towed it to a "Mechanic" who said it was the starter replaced the starter with 3 of them and every time they would try it the fuse behind the main panel by the left foot rest would blow. I am thinking that it is a short in the system and I hope to figure it out in a timely manner but any tips would be appreciated. I did alot of work on my 8 bmw 535i so the non american and Jap is okay by me but still new to British cars. I cant wait to get it out on the road and see how she runs.

Thank You,
RyanM.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:28 AM

Okay so I pulled the ABS relay and now when i turn the key it doesnt blow the fuse but the car wont turn over or anything battery is new starter is new. I jumped the wires that the ABS relay work and it popped the fuse. Is there anything that the ABS relay would control or be connected in series to that would cause no signal to the starter to turn over?? I would be in the understanding that if the ABS relay didnt work that the car would still operate just ABS would be inoperable or did Jag design a safety feature that would not allow the car to run without it.

Upon pulling the relay apart I did notice that the contacts were charred white so me saying the relay is bad might not be the right term more of that it is not correct in how it should look any suggestions would be awesome.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:31 AM

I also forgot to mention that after I first posted in here the VCM read fuel fail 36 and 37 that cleared at some point nothing that I did and yesterday it read fuse fail 6 now after pulling the relay and inserting that fuse it just says PAD Fail so brakes when I get it going. The ABS indicator light is on in the car which is probably the relay being out of it.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Upon further disassembly of the car I found the starter relay and an alarm system that was haphazardly wired in so I pulled all of the alarm components out of the car. Rewired the starter wire back together (it was spliced for a started kill switch) and wish a wishful turn of the key still nothing. I am not getting anything out of the starter relay.... I am getting closer to thinking that I might have a bad ignition switch. I think I might be pulling that apart to see if I get power on the start position of the switch hopefully I do then I will start tracing wires around.

Time for me to search for a wiring Diagram see where all of these wires go to and from. WOAH there is a ton of wires and connectors etc in this car. I am becoming more and more of a Jag fan after seeing how well this car is built. My old 88 BMW 5 series was not this solid built. I mean steel plates covering everything above the shins the bottom half of the dash is solid. I cant think of many cars like this.......

Old 05-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Okay so shortly after my last post I figured out what was wrong I have a Bad started relay. Now I just need to find one that is reasonably priced. Still have not figured out what is wrong with the ABS relay though?!?! Oh Well in time I will figure that out