XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Ac is giving me fits!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,098 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Ac is giving me fits!!!

So here I am in Florida, driving along on the surface of the sun, and ac doesn’t want to play nice!!!
turn ac on, everything whirs and clicks, comes on blowing hard, lots of ice cold air,,, then after about 3 minutes, makes another whir and fans stop, they don’t slow down, they stop, fiddle with the switches, clicking from auto to hit, to low, back to auto, nothing happening, spin the temp selector around to 85, it whirs , back to 65 whirs again, so this a few times, it all comes back on, but only for a few minutes then shuts down again, compressor never kicks off!
get it home and start trying to troubleshoot per the jag ac book, and of course everything wants to work now, so go drive around block and now it shuts down again, I switch to defrost ( as it seems to me like a fan issue) as that’s supposed to through fans into high speed, alas no fans at all when I try, all the whirring and clicking behind dash but no air blows out the defrost vents( or anywhere) cannot hear fans running at all!!!
what can I test / try next without dismantling half the dash, getting ready to move in 3 weeks, cannot have two cars undrivable!!

Old 07-09-2023, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,864 Posts

try substituting the large blowers relay ?
if the fans / blowers run fine and then stop, it could be related to that relay.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Can you pin point the location of that bad boy??? My library of manuals is in storage already!!

Old 07-09-2023, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,864 Posts

remove the black floor plastic vent next to the right knee driver side, remove panel and there it is, a black large relay with a bunch of wires connected to it. The center wire is screwed to the center spade terminal, this wire becomes loose sometimes.

shop manual sections in my website, download free or view online:
https://jagupgrades.yourwebsitespace.com/

Last edited by Jose; 07-09-2023 at 05:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 09:28 AM
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Darren,

Before worrying about that relay, I'd look to clean and brighten up the Grounds for the AC system. I had ton of problems with my AC Fans at one point and took apart and reassembled the microswitches piles of time only to find that the seemingly very clear ground points had some unnoticeable oxidation. Cleaned them up and it worked brilliantly and has done now for two years. Try the easy stuff first! The grounding points are listed in the wiring diagrams. The bad one for me turned out to be the one up under the dash pad accessed from the passenger side footwell.

FWIW, I'd doubt the relays are the issue because the fans are actually coming on, just intermittently.

Old 05-04-2024, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by muttony
Hi Darren,

Before worrying about that relay, I'd look to clean and brighten up the Grounds for the AC system. I had ton of problems with my AC Fans at one point and took apart and reassembled the microswitches piles of time only to find that the seemingly very clear ground points had some unnoticeable oxidation. Cleaned them up and it worked brilliantly and has done now for two years. Try the easy stuff first! The grounding points are listed in the wiring diagrams. The bad one for me turned out to be the one up under the dash pad accessed from the passenger side footwell.

FWIW, I'd doubt the relays are the issue because the fans are actually coming on, just intermittently.
how did I not see this post last year, going to try that later today! Thank you

Old 05-04-2024, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 360 Posts

@Darren: You are not alone. My AC stopped working on low speed. I believe I have a couple of spare microswitches if I have to go that route. The relay Jose mentioned is located behind the left hand cheek panel. I have to check that relay also. I agree with Muttony that you should check all the ground points related to the AC system.
My car is also lumped and I recently had to pull the engine to replace the freeze(expansion) plugs. In the process I damaged the AC Condenser. I ordered one from AC SOLUTIONS in Texas and it should be here around May 9th. Once I get that installed, I will address the blower speed issue. I had issues with the blower speed about 4 years ago and the problem was with the microswitches. Next week I will be rummaging through my garage and shed to locate the microswitches. I also have a spare relay and blower motors.
If you end up needing any of the items I have feel free to reach out to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by sanchez:
Darrenmb (05-04-2024), Greg in France (05-05-2024)