XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Ac question for pumpers with lt1

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,099 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Ac question for lumpers with lt1

Still not allowed in garage, so working on wiring etc on dining room table (much to wifes dismay)
anyway.. my question is, how have you guys hooked up ac? Electrically, not hoses etc..
everything I am reading says 12 volts ac call goes to pcm, then pcm uses sensors on evap and condenser, to trigger compressor. Have you somehow bypassed the sensors? Or are you using the 12 volt signal from.jag to directly connect to new compressor? And somehow turning fans on???
ok, apparently the edit function doesnt work for the title.. supposed to say lumpers.. any mods watching wanna help me out??

Last edited by Darrenmb; 12-30-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default LT1 AC

This sort of question is what separates the men from the boys as far as conversions go. Anyone can make engine mounts but these little details, and there are many of them, on how to get subsystems like AC, gauges, etc.,. all working properly are the key to a conversion being right. The later model injected LT1 and LS conversions require a lot more knowledge to get operating properly....... I actually wrote a separate 8+ page LT1 supplement to our regular V8 conversion manual to deal with all of these sort of LT1-specific things, and more...

Just as a note- the standard LT1 PCM AC programming includes many great features that we can take advantage if you know how to do it, like:

1) Pressure monitoring so as not to energize the AC compressor if charge is low
2) Pressure monitoring to turn on fans at low vehicle speeds to keep overall system pressure at safe levels, and turn the fans off when the car gets moving above a certain speed (this is important as it makes no sense to have the fans running with AC while on the freeway for example)
3) AC compressor cycling to avoid unnecessary constant compressor running
4 Use of a proper modern AC condenser so the system will actually work with R134a (the stock Jag condenser is pretty poor...._)

and more......

Darren- get in touch with me offline if you would like to talk further.....

Thanks

Andrew

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
Still not allowed in garage, so working on wiring etc on dining room table (much to wifes dismay)
anyway.. my question is, how have you guys hooked up ac? Electrically, not hoses etc..
everything I am reading says 12 volts ac call goes to pcm, then pcm uses sensors on evap and condenser, to trigger compressor. Have you somehow bypassed the sensors? Or are you using the 12 volt signal from.jag to directly connect to new compressor? And somehow turning fans on???
ok, apparently the edit function doesnt work for the title.. supposed to say lumpers.. any mods watching wanna help me out??

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 12-30-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Darren:

Andrew's information is far more advanced than mine. Plus the fact that mine is plumbed and electrics in, except for one connection. And, I failed to do another and might, most likely do, have a Ranco issue.

1. I hooked it up electricaly as the Jaguar was. No involvement of the LOT1 PCM. Primitive, aye.
But, when the DOHC was in, it cooled decently, with an anomaly. Very vacuum sensitive. ON the day the DOHC died, it cooled very nicely....

2. I replaced the dryer. I had the condensor "boiled" out. I used the line in the HJohn's car kit for the compressor.

3. I failed to flush the matrix in he car;

4. I may "did" lose the teeny screen in the line in the line...

Carl

Old 12-31-2019, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,099 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarSpecialties
This sort of question is what separates the men from the boys as far as conversions go. Anyone can make engine mounts but these little details, and there are many of them, on how to get subsystems like AC, gauges, etc.,. all working properly are the key to a conversion being right. The later model injected LT1 and LS conversions require a lot more knowledge to get operating properly....... I actually wrote a separate 8+ page LT1 supplement to our regular V8 conversion manual to deal with all of these sort of LT1-specific things, and more...

Just as a note- the standard LT1 PCM AC programming includes many great features that we can take advantage if you know how to do it, like:

1) Pressure monitoring so as not to energize the AC compressor if charge is low
2) Pressure monitoring to turn on fans at low vehicle speeds to keep overall system pressure at safe levels, and turn the fans off when the car gets moving above a certain speed (this is important as it makes no sense to have the fans running with AC while on the freeway for example)
3) AC compressor cycling to avoid unnecessary constant compressor running
4 Use of a proper modern AC condenser so the system will actually work with R134a (the stock Jag condenser is pretty poor...._)

and more......

Darren- get in touch with me offline if you would like to talk further.....

Thanks

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, will reach out after the 1st