XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

An addict needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Of course the odometer can be "clocked" as we say in England. On these cars the speedo can be removed in under 5 minutes, because I've done it, but if the service and maintenance/repair invoices and the condition of the car back it up, then the car should be considered, although maybe bargain a bit on price. A car this old at that price is not going to sell quickly; if you have the dosh ready and the car is right you might get a bargain.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I can replace a S3 XJ-6 speedo in 3½ minutes if it is not raining

Old 03-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,943 Likes on 7,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
I can replace a S3 XJ-6 speedo in 3½ minutes if it is not raining

Plus used speedos are 'a dime a dozen' on Ebay....so replacing a one showing 160,000 miles for one that shows 60,000 is unusually easy.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Wow, I drive an "abomination" ! Well, at least it isn't a w..h... !!!

A decade or so ago, I was hired to appraise a near pristine mid 70's Cadillac DeVille. It was owned by a young Catholic priest. A parishoner's family had given it to him upon the passing of their patriarch. Gorgeous maroon exterior. The interior was simulated wood, red velour and brushed aluminum. Almost perfect, except for the sill that was scratched by the owner in taking his wheel chair on board. I made a real faux pax. "Looks like a bordello! The young priest responded, "but, neither you or I know what they look like, do we?"

My idea on cars is to buy the best car one's budget will allow. And, yup, odometer miles are not equal. I'd chose a high mile freeway flyer that is well maintained over a lower mileage, "little old lady from Pasadena" car. Even if she did maintain it well.

But, almost equally important is to like the car. If one buys it with some reluctance, issues, even minor ones will torment one. Been there.

Carl

Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

First of all, I would like to apologize to all of you driving conversions.

I REALLY didn't mean to offend. I've spent 20+ years in the uniform, and this makes me speak my mind at all times freely. I am some kind of purist. I like everything "stock", and in it's original condition. I don't mind restorations (especially if I am doing them) on motorcycles, cars, guns, etc. but restorations BACK to stock (if it was altered, or restorations in order to preserve). No "hotrods" for me, no "high performance" model T's, buckets, Impalas......etc.

"Alterations" (from the original configurations (like chopping the bikes, cars, shortening the barrels on guns, "bubbarizing" ANYTHING, aftermarket exhausts on bikes, and cars....stuff like that) I don't like, and I stay clear of them.

It doesn't mean I think any less of the people that do them (if done tastefully), but the original state of the object is altered to the point of obliteration of the original.

In case of the Jaguars,......beautiful bodywork, with questionable engines, and downright poor electrical components in the past (Lucas). But all this makes the Jag a Jag. Reliability is NOT an issue in my case. MANY cars to choose from on the daily basis, DIY knowledge and ability to fix ANYTHING, makes me confident that I can keep ANY machinery running. I don't have to "depend" on the vehicle for work, and the tow truck is just a phone call away (in case of something unexpected).

Since I am an avid gun collector too, converted Jaguar to ME is the same as a K98 WW2 Mauser rifle, with chopped barrel, "sporter" stock, and outfitted with a modern scope,......destroyed historical significance and beauty. Sure,...it will be easier to field in a deer hunt, just like a converted Jaguar will be "easier" to comute with, but I don't want it, and I would never do it.

And again,.....I am talking about ME, and MY thoughts on the subject. What ANYONE out there does with his/her property, is of no concern to me, nor I think any less of that person. Bottom line,.....Jaguar with ANY engine under the hood that did not come with that brand originally, is not a Jaguar any more. I've seen MANY Jaguar "conversions" for sale in CA, and they've been "for sale" for a very long time. Apparently a lot of people think the same I do. Jaguar engine sounds like no other engine out there. Hearing Chevy 350 in the Jaguar body (to ME) sounds like looking at a beautiful woman with a deep, men's voice (makes me want to do what Crocodile Dundee did with that TG dude,....."checking under the hood"!).

These are just MY opinions, and nobody should take any offence. It really doesn't matter what I think. Do with YOUR property whatever you want, and if it enriches YOUR life, enjoy it. Kinda like "LBTG" thing (going "Dundee" again!)......what YOU do in YOUR bedroom does not concern ME, just don't throw it in my face constantly, and don't try to "convert" me.

Over and out.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

As far as XJ6 purchase,........it's been put on hold by the "higher priority goals" set by the REAL power in this household. The animals! I can work only on one vehicle at the time. We have two GSDs, and an Alaskan Malamute. They are big, they shed a LOT (our house is cleaned/vacumed DAILY), and they like to go places. They don't fit in the Benz, they almost ruined the X5, and we need to keep them out of the Range Rover. But they have to go to their "spas", vets, kennels (when we travel), etc.

So after the family meeting and the vote, I decided to buy an older Jeep Cherokee (classic), and I did. Bought it from the State, so it's well maintained mechanically, but cosmetics are in a need of "restoration" (back to stock!). I am currently deep in that project, with a goal of completion by the end of the week (servicing engine, tranny, replacing shocks, wheels, painting bumpers/flares, removing the back seat, leveling the floor, installing the divider....stuff like that). This will be the "dog wagg'on", which will save wear and tare on the other two. "Project Jaguar" was put on hold for the time being, but it will be jumpstarted once the current project is completed.

I thank you all for your well meant advices, and thoughts. I "NEED" a Jag before the summer, and my #1 target is 2003 XJR (X308), .....#2 is 80s XJ6 (and I would like it to be VDP, but it doesn't have to).

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by danielsand; 03-11-2014 at 08:35 AM.