Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 511 Likes on 288 Posts

Guess it wasn't. I just tried it again.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default cooling fans

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
Anybody have any experience adding an electric cooling fan to a Series II XJ6C. She runs a little warm if not hot when running the A/C down here in Florida.
On my 78 xj6 I have an original installed fan bracket with 2 electric fans,
they work very nicely here in new mexico with the air on.

You might want to talk with david boger, he probably has some for you.

Walter

Old 04-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default cooling fans

On my 78 xj6 I have an original installed fan bracket with 2 electric fans,
they work very nicely here in new mexico with the air on.

You might want to talk with david boger, he probably has some for you.

Walter

Old 04-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Bill :

Your E fan is on it's way. See my PM via email to you. The tags I put on the wires a decade ago have faded. If needed I'll decipher via my S57 Jaguar schematic.

Enjoy

Carl

Old 04-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

I've PM's back. When I wore a younger man's clothes (Billy Joel) I completely took apart a TR4 and carefully marked with pen all nuts and bolts and put them in manila envelopes. Well, by the time I got around to putting it back together, not only did the ink fade, but the glue on the bottom of the envelopes deteriorated and all the nuts and bolts were in a pile in the bottom of the neatly packed box. Lesson learned there!

The following users liked this post:
olivermarks (04-23-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw your pix of the electric fans - can you provide a wiring diagram and or pix of your installation - where you put items, what you did, etc. Looking to do the same with my '87 Many thanks, Chuck

Old 04-20-2019, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

I'll try and dig up the invoices of where I bought things. But I eliminated the viscous fan, went with an aluminum radiator (which was thinner). This allowed plenty of room for the two electric fans and their assembly to fit in. I also went with an automatic temperature sending unit that you can set for any temp you want for the fans to go on. And they go on one at a time so as to not overload the battery all at once. I then wired a mini lamp into my dash so I knew when they were on or not. Not necessary, but I'd like to know when they are on. I really haven't given it the full test yet as this is still a restoration project. So only around the block or to the market and back. I'll elaborate more when I can find invoices. And I'll take some pics.

Bill

csdeneen3 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:16 AM

I'll try and dig up the invoices of where I bought things. But I eliminated the viscous fan, went with an aluminum radiator (which was thinner). This allowed plenty of room for the two electric fans and their assembly to fit in. I also went with an automatic temperature sending unit that you can set for any temp you want for the fans to go on. And they go on one at a time so as to not overload the battery all at once. I then wired a mini lamp into my dash so I knew when they were on or not. Not necessary, but I'd like to know when they are on. I really haven't given it the full test yet as this is still a restoration project. So only around the block or to the market and back. I'll elaborate more when I can find invoices. And I'll take some pics.

Bill
Bill

Thank you. Looking forward to your information and the pictures. I am particularly interested in your step fan idea (one turning on, then the other) as well as your lamp inside the cockpit.

I have two 12 inchers that I do want to place in front of the radiator, which is what I take from your response - aluminum, based on what you said and others, is the way to go and would give more room and better flow. I also have a Hayden fan control with thermostat (#3653), a Bussman Type 1 auto reset circuit breaker, whole bunch of diodes (?) with fuses in the top (these are the ones with 30-85-86-87), lots of wire, wire loom, wire shrink and...... not a clue as to how to put all of this together. Also on the lamp in the cockpit - please indicate and or picture where you put it as well as how you went through the firewall.

Many thanks in advance

Chuck

Old 04-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like you already have most of the parts. I bought off eBay a 11" Twin electric puller fan complete with shroud. And installed a Davis Craig DC-0444 dual relay thermatic controller. The dual relay is one relay for each fan and it kicks on the second fan after a 5 second delay from the first. And via the on board push buttons and digital read out, you can choose what temp you want the fans to go on at (in either F or C degrees). Then whatever the temp is currently is on this digital readout. However there is no remote connection to hook up a remote temp read out. So... I had to wire a little LED light to the fan circuit and put the wire through the firewall where the windshield wiper cable comes through. As I had already changed my wood dash to the newer style XJ6 with the hole in it for the CAT converter light, I used that hole for the "Electric Fans On" light. See pics. The LED light is to the below and right of the Speedomete

r.

csdeneen3 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:08 PM

Awesome looking!!!! Am working towards this - will keep you informed.... Many thanks, Chuck

Old 04-26-2019, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention. I replaced the Lucas alternator with a John's Cars GM 94amp alternator to keep up with the potential current draw of the electric fans.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Slick!!!

1. Behind the radiator is better than in front. Puller vs pusher!!

2. The PCM in my "lump" controls the fans. .supposedly first one, then the other.
I see both at once. No big deal. usually road air is enough to cool just fine, fans off.

3. Had to chuckle. The Cat lamp in my car is now "check engine" he "special Smog referee liked it.

Carl.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Been super ht around here 90 +. Drop expected today...

Carl

Old 07-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by sanchez
Here is a pic of my 84 Jag with two electric fans fitted.
Original fan eliminated due to clutch failure.
Had these sitting around and installed them. No problems since installed.
Runs below the 90C mark with the AC 'on' in traffic. Fan to the right is controlled via thermal switch on radiator and the one to the left is activated when the AC is turned on.
I have also installed two on '85 lump.
wiring diagram for the davies craig 0444 shows wiring green to the air conditioner clutch and yellow to ignition. did you do that? and exactly where did you attach/splice/etc?

Last edited by csdeneen3; 07-11-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: read original - my new message was already answered.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I wired green to the A/C clutch and the yellow to the coil positive. Coil positive was easy as the coil is only a foot away. And if I remember the A/C clutch wire ran off the Ranco and that wiring runs out the fire wall on the passenger side over the fender well and across the top of the radiator crossmember. I spliced into it.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

...went with an aluminum radiator (which was thinner). This allowed plenty of room for the two electric fans and their assembly to fit in...

Bill
Where did you purchase your aluminum radiator? I've been having quite a hard time finding a replacement radiator for my 75 XJ6C.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

I got mine used off eBay a couple of years ago. It was already in a Series II, so I knew it would fit - and it did. Since then I seem to recall some blog or forum somewhere talking about a Mustang radiator fitting. Don't know what year or model. I'll do some sleuthing and see if I can find out.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,475 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Retro Air in Dallas sell aluminium radiators for Jags. Contact Rock Browning the owner. He is an expert with Jaguar and Porsche a/c and their parts.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I got mine used off eBay a couple of years ago. It was already in a Series II, so I knew it would fit - and it did. Since then I seem to recall some blog or forum somewhere talking about a Mustang radiator fitting. Don't know what year or model. I'll do some sleuthing and see if I can find out.
Thank you, I’d really appreciate this.

Quick Reply: Adding an electric cooling fan to my XJ6C