Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Purchase Price of 1982 Series 3 XJ6 4.2 FI

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by muttony

1984 JAGUAR XJ-6 VANDANPLAS

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-jaguar-xj-6/6526724665.html. I went to look at it yesterday. All original condition, no repaint. No rust around the windscreen at all. Interior footwells dry as bone. Rear tire well clean no rust. I did locate rust on the rear under bumper valence. That would need replacing, but that is bolt on and it wasn't rusted through just some surface parts on the field of the metal and at the edge. There was some rust around the rear radius arms. didn't look destroyed. Car drove well. Brakes worked properly. Bushes all around looked shot though. All systems worked well except radio. Seller claims fuel switchover works but said the other tank was empty. So there MAY be a tank issue. Car on sale by owner who's had it since 1988. Interior in terrific shape. The leather isn't even cracked or torn or anything. Carpets clean. Radio non-functional. Engine looked and sounded fairly good. Obviously leaking oil, could see and smell it. Under rear axle/cage/diff lots of accumulated oil. So, clearly leaking fore and aft. The 1982 looked less rusty but worse mechanically. Biggest problem as of ow on this now was leaky seals fore and aft.

$4900.00?
Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but from that first driver side profile pic it looks like something large and heavy dropped on the top of that car. There's seems to be a flat spot and a bit of roof line pushed oddly out near the windscreen. Also, the sunroof looks slightly open, is that why?

Old 03-26-2018, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Probably an odd reflection from that building. The sunroof looks low in the back, but that can be easily adjusted. Ding on the drivers door though.

To comment on "leaks fore and aft"
There isn't really anything to leak in the back except the brakes and MAYBE the diff, but the diff is rare and the brakes are said to be working. Oil at the rear is likely just the leak from the front blowing underneath the car.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Thanks Fraser. I don't have a shop, but I do have a garage and lots of time (let's hope!). For the rear seal I was planning on pulling that whole thing at some point in any case because I want to get in there and correct/refurb everything all at once. When I talk about "bushes" I am probably using the wrong term. In the US I'd call them "bushings" and what I am referring to are the rubber bushings that are in many of the suspension joints. I may also be calling a Valence wrong. I am talking about the sheet metal under the back bumper between the two rear quarter panels. In any case, it isn't rusted badly.
Here is what I call a 'rear valance'.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/26298633948...7748120&crdt=0
You can see the holes for the exhaust pipes. It is a fairly easy weld-on replacement if you know how to remove spot welds and are experienced with MIG welder, (or maybe inexperienced, as I replaced mine !!). If it is not holed then best left on the car, but check where it joins the boot floor. I replaced the boot floor as well !!

And here is a quarter panel the fits either side of the rear valance below the 1/4 bumpers.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJ...%3D&rmvSB=true

The only problem removing these is extracting the screws that hold it on as they go into captive nuts.

I replaced these on my car too. I found I had to repair the rear face of the rear wheel arch as this is a favourite rust point. The 1/4 panels are held here by three screws and there is a rubber seal that holds muck leading to rusting.
"For the rear seal I was planning on pulling that whole thing at some point in any case because I want to get in there and correct/refurb everything all at once."
Doing the rear main engine oil seal is an engine and gearbox out job, not something for the faint-hearted ! In my case the engine and gearbox had to come out due to block cracking and the need to rebuild the engine around an uncracked block. My block was the earlier non-slotted.

Here is photo of the Slipflex bushes that are the trunnions for the front top wishbone. An easy swap-out normally, but make sure the camber adjustment shims go back correctly. The bottom wishbone trunnions tend to last a very long time, but are awkward to replace so if they are "good enough", I'd leave them awhile.

Here's a radius arm complete, but if it's OK you can rebush, and these are not expensive.
https://www.britishparts.co.uk/jagua...dius-arm-p4661

And finally the rear subframe mounts that allow a degree of rotation of the subframe when the car is in motion.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x4-JAGUAR...-/142465056951

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 03-27-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:28 PM
Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Those quarter panels that cover the lower fuel tanks have screws that are a bugger to get out, particularly underneath car. Lots of penetrating oil over several days may stop you from chewing up the screw heads and threads, otherwise it's a lot of irritating drilling out, removal of the old bolt thread, retapping etc. I use stainless replacements as I will probably never have to remove them again but I'm really nice to the next car custodian in the future....

stainless screws for xj6 fuel tank covers
https://www.albanycountyfasteners.co...8-p/550000.htm

On the topic of valances, anyone got a good tip on bodyworking tool to massage the exhaust holes back into shape? I still have my exhausts out and it's a good time to tidy that area up but hard to get a dolly behind hole to conform the curved shape back

Old 03-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

I used stainless button-cap bolts for the quarter panels, I'm against phillips screws and especially flat head screws.
The button-caps use an allen wrench. They are also flatter, look a lot better than the cursed phillips screws.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Me as well. Worst of all the slotted screws. then Phillips. Pozi, a tad better Allen heads my present favorite. But, I am becoming enamored with Torx!!!

Carl

Old 03-29-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Me as well. Worst of all the slotted screws. then Phillips. Pozi, a tad better Allen heads my present favorite. But, I am becoming enamored with Torx!!!
Carl
There's nothing more time consuming than futzing with seized screws...cans of penetrating oil, lots of different screwdriver heads, slow motion destruction of the head followed by dremel cutting a new groove...breaking that off and speaking fluent anglo saxon for 20 seconds before an easy out failure... then drilling it out destroying thread and retapping....

There's something about keeping it all original though when you put it back together, mad as it seems....

Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

I would be contacting local Jaguar enthusiasts clubs in towns/cities on the west coast, you may pay a bit more but your chances of finding a maintained car so at least you will have a better base to start with. My theory..

Old 03-29-2018, 11:04 AM
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks Alyn. I think I'll make an offer on this 1984 tonight and see. It looked fairly good rust wise and mechanically it seemed, OK. The problem with going out to the West Coast is that I can't look at the car. When you add in the cost of getting out there, lodging, extra cost, driving back 2500 miles with possible breakdowns... if I can find a local one that looks fairly good, I think I have to go with that if I can.

Can I ask you...you made a post about one out here and said it was a deal. I looked at the add on CL and the add did not have much info. How did you know it was a good deal? It could have had oil leaks, seized calipers...who knows? Did you know the owner?

Old 03-29-2018, 11:49 AM

Thanks Alyn. I think I'll make an offer on this 1984 tonight and see. It looked fairly good rust wise and mechanically it seemed, OK. The problem with going out to the West Coast is that I can't look at the car. When you add in the cost of getting out there, lodging, extra cost, driving back 2500 miles with possible breakdowns... if I can find a local one that looks fairly good, I think I have to go with that if I can.

Can I ask you...you made a post about one out here and said it was a deal. I looked at the add on CL and the add did not have much info. How did you know it was a good deal? It could have had oil leaks, seized calipers...who knows? Did you know the owner?
make sure you take a good flashlight and maybe a mirror, and have a GOOD look underneath preferably aided by a sharp metal pointy thing. Rust around the trailing arms is a deal killer. Also look for excess oil that's blown back onto rear axle from engine. Top side fixes are relatively easy but under (a very heavy) car issues are harder to access and repair...

Old 03-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Me as well. Worst of all the slotted screws. then Phillips. Pozi, a tad better Allen heads my present favorite. But, I am becoming enamored with Torx!!! Carl
I thoroughly enjoy the TORX screws and bits, the are positive, no slipping, they always grab tight to the driver. And the Full Moon Luck for me this morning? I went to dispose of my trash and someone threw away a toolcase with lots of unused metric and standard sockets and wrenches, AND two sets of TORX bits, some tiny as if for watchmakers.

Including a wrench size I had never seen before: 15/16ths. Bigger than 7/8", smaller than 1", factory marked 15/16ths.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by idrovetheepb
Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but from that first driver side profile pic it looks like something large and heavy dropped on the top of that car. There's seems to be a flat spot and a bit of roof line pushed oddly out near the windscreen. Also, the sunroof looks slightly open, is that why?
looks like they replaced the sunroof seal and the sunroof isn't closing correctly.

The car looks very good, but yes I would inspect underneath, the exhaust system will tell the tale, if the exhaust system is not rusted out, the car has been well cared for and kept from snow and salt. $3 Grand would be a steal. $3,600.00 is what I would offer, cash in pocket, slap the seller in the face with a pack of $100. dollar bills, or act as if you are ready to walk away!! It's a gamble but sometimes it pays off. If the car has not sold already, he is motivated to sell.

1984 was a very good year for Jaguar, thanks to John Egan who took over quality control, so chances are the car will be reliable, mine is.

AND, this is a Vanden Plas, with the nicer interior and select color.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for all the advice. I got it!!! I'm so excited I can't stop going in the garage to look at it. I'll post a longer thread but it's Easter Sunday and I don't have much time today. Hopefully later I can post pictures etc!

The following 2 users liked this post by muttony:
idrovetheepb (04-01-2018), olivermarks (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Jose:

Wow, you must be living "right". A proper reward. You think the PO passed and others tossed his "junk" and the PO selected you as a proper steward for his treasure.

Muttony:

Oh, boy great adventure on the way. Include us.

Side bar. I use my dumb cell phone as a night table clock ! The charger is there as well, Each night, I plug in the charger. Alas, this
morning t was dark, Cell and night!! So, I went back to sleep. SOG,. the charger plug fell off the outlet. Back on charge. Gotta develop a fix for that. the plug fits too loosely. The cords a bit short.

Carl ,

Old 04-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Muttony!

Old 04-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for all the advice. I got it!!! I'm so excited I can't stop going in the garage to look at it. I'll post a longer thread but it's Easter Sunday and I don't have much time today. Hopefully later I can post pictures etc!
Congratulations !!

I had my Series 3 for 14 years !!! Mind you, it did need a bit of work but what doesn't.