XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

what year is the Nissan trans from? and car model?

Old 01-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
what year is the Nissan trans from? and car model?
VQ's have been around, since the mid 90's

im not sure what year this trans came from.

I believe this engine is from a twin turbo 300ZX

I could be wrong, as im not the only guy working on this project & there are many projects going on at the same time (Rx7's, cressidas, corollas, celicas, 240sx's, too many damn drift projects)

Old 01-18-2014, 06:50 PM

Sorry, I got the teams slightly wrong.

It's a VG transmission, not a VQ

Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 PM

After discussion, we've opted to keep the original intake manifold (slight reconfiguration will be done)

The turbo manifold has been misled in MasterCAM, so construction is underway. (already cut the flange)

Old 01-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,367 Likes on 796 Posts
Default point you in the right direction...

There isn't much direct aftermarket support so you have think a bit differently when mod-ing the XJ, nothing is going to be easy and you better know how to weld.

Front suspension...is very adjustable, has upper wishbones for camber and caster adjustments. Air bags or semi-customs springs can be fitted. Koni shocks are still available but KYB's are usually stiff enough. Larger sway bars can still be found. Urethane bushings kits are out there.

Rear suspension...Lots of stuff for the rear because the Jag IRS is a favorite component for Cobra replicas that race. There are many Cobra innovations for the Jag IRS that can be used in any vehicle that has a jag IRS. Just about every thing is available but getting hard to find. Auburn makes an almost drop in locker diff, shocks and springs can be bought out of any racing catalogue. Sway bar components can from retrofitted from early XJS. You willl have to fabricate a link to stop the IRS from rolling under high power loads. The roll causes wheels hop and control issues.

Engine....XK is a dead end...easy to do a Chevy Sb, Bb or LS conversion = less weight more power.

Front Brakes....kind of difficult not much out there..14 inch rotors and calipers from a Aston Martin DB7 Veloce will bolt on but good luck finding a set. I fabricated new mounting ears and run Wilwood alu hat rotors and calipers with ABS. Not easy.

Rear brakes...much larger and vented outboard from 90's XJ8 can be fitted and it's a Bolt on.

Wheels...Any after market wheel for 3rd gen Camaro has the right offset and bolt pattern. Hub can be machined down for the correct center bore but is usually not necessary. You can run 8 inch wheels in front and 8.5 in rear with no body modifications. 9.5 inch wheels for the rear with the right offset for the Camaro will fit with fender flares. Probably could run 11 inch wheels with larger flares.

Seats... sport seats from 80's corvette fit well, also XJS seats can be easily fitted.

I've done all these mods at one point or another.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AristoCat
Sorry, I got the teams slightly wrong.

It's a VG transmission, not a VQ
thanks for clearing that transmission thing up!

i'm familier with the nissan VG trans 5 spd, but that VQ trans is a six spd dual clutch, and is part of the rear end assembly, its mounted in the rear of the car! and has a driveshaft running forward to the front axle,(AWD).

now if you could adapt one of those you would get a big award for craftsmanship!!!!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

aristo, check out the XJS site for some kool ideas on inlet manifolds, 500hp .

and the EFI 12 stack project, on xjs site.

Last edited by ronbros; 01-19-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
There isn't much direct aftermarket support so you have think a bit differently when mod-ing the XJ, nothing is going to be easy and you better know how to weld.

Front suspension...is very adjustable, has upper wishbones for camber and caster adjustments. Air bags or semi-customs springs can be fitted. Koni shocks are still available but KYB's are usually stiff enough. Larger sway bars can still be found. Urethane bushings kits are out there.

Rear suspension...Lots of stuff for the rear because the Jag IRS is a favorite component for Cobra replicas that race. There are many Cobra innovations for the Jag IRS that can be used in any vehicle that has a jag IRS. Just about every thing is available but getting hard to find. Auburn makes an almost drop in locker diff, shocks and springs can be bought out of any racing catalogue. Sway bar components can from retrofitted from early XJS. You willl have to fabricate a link to stop the IRS from rolling under high power loads. The roll causes wheels hop and control issues.

Engine....XK is a dead end...easy to do a Chevy Sb, Bb or LS conversion = less weight more power.

Front Brakes....kind of difficult not much out there..14 inch rotors and calipers from a Aston Martin DB7 Veloce will bolt on but good luck finding a set. I fabricated new mounting ears and run Wilwood alu hat rotors and calipers with ABS. Not easy.

Rear brakes...much larger and vented outboard from 90's XJ8 can be fitted and it's a Bolt on.

Wheels...Any after market wheel for 3rd gen Camaro has the right offset and bolt pattern. Hub can be machined down for the correct center bore but is usually not necessary. You can run 8 inch wheels in front and 8.5 in rear with no body modifications. 9.5 inch wheels for the rear with the right offset for the Camaro will fit with fender flares. Probably could run 11 inch wheels with larger flares.

Seats... sport seats from 80's corvette fit well, also XJS seats can be easily fitted.

I've done all these mods at one point or another.

I'm beyond aftermarket support, I just gave up looking at ridiculous prices, long lead times, limited availability & international shipping.

I plan on building everything from scratch, that's not easily & affordable acquired.

The suspension, will be completely redesigned.

The problem I'm foreseeing is retrofitting a stand alone hydraulic e-brake for the rear. (I don't want to run a looped/valves setup that back feeds into the entire brake system.)

Update: intake manifold has been modified (deleted the OEM throttle body & emissions related junk)

Acquired 4x DSM 450cc injectors (need 2x more)

Going to start working on machining the fuel rail today, after work.

Ordering up a modern Ford throttle body & plan to relocate it to the front of the intake plenum.

Tearing apart the Lucas distributor & contemplating retrofitting a different unit all together.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Default here's an idea

The problem I'm foreseeing is retrofitting a stand alone hydraulic e-brake for the rear. (I don't want to run a looped/valves setup that back feeds into the entire brake system.)

That may be the easiest...simply add outboard brakes from a XJ8, XK8 or late XJS and keep your inboard brakes. It's a bolt in and a must do because the rear hubs you have are not reinforced and crack when stressed. Use the inboard on your main stock hydraulic system and use a hand lever plumbed to a single master cylinder that controls the outboard brakes. Job done.

Jaguar XK8 Hub Assembly Rear Carrier Assembly Choose Side 1997 2000 Warranty | eBay

Last edited by icsamerica; 01-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
That may be the easiest...simply add outboard brakes from a XJ8, XK8 or late XJS and keep your inboard brakes. It's a bolt in and a must do because the rear hubs you have are not reinforced and crack when stressed. Use the inboard on your main stock hydraulic system and use a hand lever plumbed to a single master cylinder that controls the outboard brakes. Job done.

Jaguar XK8 Hub Assembly Rear Carrier Assembly Choose Side 1997 2000 Warranty | eBay
Thanks for the input.

I'm trying to keep the inboard brakes in the rear (kind of a favorite jaguar signature that I want to stay with)

If stuff ends up breaking, I'll look into your suggestion.

Keep in mind, this will be a race car, so it's definitely going to break.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

icsa, thats a kool idea ,four(4) rear wheel brake rotors, one operated inboard by the foot master cylinder ,and a hydraulic hand lever outboard for drifting!! damn.

you crazy young guys!!!!

Old 01-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Ron...Kool? That made me laugh and I usually don't laugh on stressful back-to-work Mondays...BTW it's Kewl these days...I'm no kid and I really don't care much for drifting. Saw it once at Englishtown raceway, I don't get it. To each there own however I can appreciate the mechanical challenges of any sport even if I don't get it. This week I heard a story of the American Olympic Bobsled team that had their sled re-designed by BMW's M motor sports division which is based in California. Initial time trial results are promising which illustrates the point.

Last edited by icsamerica; 01-21-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I was saddened to lose the DOHC in my 83 XJ6, even if it was antiquated and and a design anethema. The crossflow head and cams, ju8st looked like a real rpm screamer. Not really my choice on how to gert useful HP. Tropuble is that the long stroke smallish bore is a torque producer. As I unerstand it, a pokiticl issue in the UK. Taxed by bore, not stroke. So, an oversquare design would be taxed more!!!!

Incpompatible, low er end vs upper end, yet, they do run. Wouldn't a big bore, short stroke 4.2 be neat?

And, they dress nicely, almost as neat as a properly dressed flathead Ford V8. Another engine that could perform despite inherent design limitation.

OTH, in olden days, A stroked OFFY would really move a sprint car on the dirt. 270 CI. Hmm, similar, except it is 4 vs six!!

Now, the oversquare SBC tuned to move a heavy Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham is quyite happy in my XJ wuzza six.

And the tuned 4.0 OHV in my Jeep Grand Cherokee is well tuned for it's tasks.

Mix and match to get what one needs/wants. Easily messed up in mismatches.

Early post coffee rant.

Carl

Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

J-CAD , whahchootalkinbout?

coffee OK! not?

Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow. I knew it was low...

we dyno'd the car with all the OEM powertrain @ we got our base line...

OEM: 130 RWHP x 190 RWTQ @ 3700 RPM
Sounds like you have your hands pretty deep into this! We need pics, even if they're teasers!!

The following users liked this post:
Sir_daniel (01-08-2022)
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 PM

I'll start posting pictures as soon as we are farther along.

runners for the turbo manifold are complete, just need to complete the wastegate dump & weld up the flanges (waiting on a V-band)

still waiting on the mustang throttle body, so we are also held up on the intake.

Intercooler placement & piping will be what i work on (this weekend), while waiting for parts.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Booooooo!!!! Come on!!! The pics where everything's half done and pulled apart are the best ones!!

I'll start posting pictures as soon as we are farther along.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:05 PM

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag002.jpg   Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag003.jpg   Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag010.jpg  
Old 01-24-2014, 06:07 PM

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag005.jpg   Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag007.jpg   Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag008.jpg  
Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 PM

you can kind of see the trans. adapter plate, but thats all I am going to show of the technical stuff, until its ready.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis