XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I am planning on a 2JZGTE for my car (when I get around to building it)

The RB26 is a formidable engine though.

The jaguar 4.2L is a pretty stout engine as well, but it's not a well supported engine (that's why decided to stay with it, just to see what it's capable of)

As you can see from the dramatic commentary in this thread, we lost the original motor, but the fresh one is doing very well.

The car will be doing another drifting event this Sunday @ PARC (Pat's Acres Racing Complex) so if anybody local to the Northwest wants to see this thing in person or go for a ride (we put 2x race buckets & harnesses in the rear) we will be giving rides all day long.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

haha, thats one way to show customers the work you've done, 4 person joy ride!

Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

Hey its all in the game, many times iv been at a track, and when i started asking serious questions they would close the hood, and walk away!

spkin of questions what kind of rpm you turnin that engine?

Old 09-28-2014, 09:54 PM

4500-4800 RPM we are trying out various turbos to broaden the power band

Old 01-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any progress on this?

Old 05-19-2015, 01:00 AM

updates?

any further elaboration of suspension?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad this was bumped. This is extremely relative to my interests.
Been drifting for around 10yrs,. with a 1jz for the past 2.

Just bought an xj6 sIII and definitely interested in a coilover like solution.

Im not sure what all the secrets are about tho..?
...especially if everything is completely custom

I guess thats never been done before...lol

Old 05-19-2015, 04:56 PM

My guess would be they've just replaced the spring and shock setups with a coilover setup like QA1, both front and rear can be easily adapted to suit something like that, allowing height control and just about any spring rate you desire.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Xcessive Jaguar rear suspension

There's no big secret to it, I'm surprised that no one who's been to the events has posted a pic. It's not our production version so I haven't been to concerned to talk about our test parts. It has 30 point adjustable dampening, adjustable ride height and spring rate/arm ratio, yes it's pushrod cantilever. It also has the ability to preload the springs to reduce rebound. The front is more conventional coilover, inverted. They'll be more pics and info when we get the production done.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

very nice looking setup, any pix of how it is used on the Jag IRS subframe(or not at all)?

how is that setup bolted to the sheet metal floor,as pictured?

does it use the Dana 44 pumpkin, and inboard brakes,etc?

thanks ron, interested!

Old 05-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

That's a very nice cantilever shock system!
How much does the parts kit cost?
It would be nice to see detailed photos.
Cantilever is the best way to go.....

Old 05-20-2015, 08:02 PM

That is dead sexy!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ronbros
very nice looking setup, any pix of how it is used on the Jag IRS subframe(or not at all)?

how is that setup bolted to the sheet metal floor,as pictured?

does it use the Dana 44 pumpkin, and inboard brakes,etc?

thanks ron, interested!

Yep, mounted to the sheet metal.

Retains the OEM brakes & differential.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 07:18 PM

Can you leak some more photos, even just the interior and engine bay.
How is it holding up? still being used?
I have no desire to copy or replicate anything, I just really enjoy seeing quality fabrication work.

I just stripped my XJ6 parts car of the interior and dash setup, god there's some weight in everything, did you mention what its final weight was once stripped?

Old 06-03-2015, 12:04 PM

We got the car down to 3300 lbs, but we're changing seats (also added back seats) and adding a roll bar to put in harnesses hopefully soon. The car is still changing a bit as we play through the summer. Hopefully we get some of the final work done to the interior and can get some pics. We're working on finalizing the suspension for production, more pics will follow then. Sorry for the wait, unfortunately for the Jag, we've got a few other cars we're building right now and keeping up with regular business, so it's slowing down our development a bit.
The diff is welded with 245/40/18's out back with a slight fender roll for fitment, steering mods up front for more angle and quicker turn with 225's.
I've attached a link of a short video from last season, you may have to copy and paste it. It's not much, but the car does work! And people say the stock 4.2 isn't worth a dang.... 420 LBFT of torque on 15 lbs boost is where we were running it! (Motor assembled/tuned in house)

Facebook Post

The following 3 users liked this post by Xcessive MFG:
LnrB (06-10-2015), Mkii250 (06-04-2015), ronbros (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

great vid, any motor that can handle 15 lbs boost has got to be strong, guess time will tell on how long it can take it!
what mods were done to the bottom end,and what how are you sealing the cyl.head?

good luck and keep posting!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:45 AM

We're going on our second season with the motor, so far so good. The big one with the older 6 cyl. Jag motors that I've seen so far is getting them line bored and bearings clearance for the application and the oil system in top shape. Out of two stock motors I've taken apart, both were not doing good on the last main bearing. The next part we reworked was the oil pump. The tolerances were way to loose, even on a new pump we ordered, at least for our needs. I also cleaned up the casting a bunch on the inside and blended a lot as well as sealed the pick up tube along with the O-rings. Time will tell how it holds up, we're beating on it quite hard. I know they raced them back in the good old days, but I'm not so sure they ran 400+ LBFT of torque through them.
Internals are stock pistons that we clearance more for our abuse with stock steel rings. We had ordered new rings but they came in as iron, so we had to re-use the old steel compression rings and just gap the ends properly. The head gasket is stock, we cranked up the boost at one point to 22 lbs and made 520 LBFT of torque, but the head gasket didn't like it. We put a new stock one in and turned the boost back down. I want to see how long it'll go at a moderate level. We could have stepped up to MLS, but that would defeat the purpose of testing an easy and somewhat affordable build of stock parts.
We had talked to a few Jag guys and usually got the same answer, "you can buy good parts". I didn't see a lot wrong with the parts that were in the motor for what we planned on doing, they just needed a few tweaks. The pistons have nice thick tops with the first ring fairly low down. By todays standards this isn't ideal, but the large top ring land means it'll take a lot of heat. Lightweight pistons cost a lot and don't really like boost and a ton of heat. We're not going for fuel mileage or emissions, just parts that will take some abuse economically, so were finding out. No one we talked to seemed to know what the stock motor will actually do, especially under pressure.

The following 2 users liked this post by Xcessive MFG:
anjum (06-09-2015), ronbros (06-10-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

What a pile of poo! I'm at all not impressed with the performance you've achieved from the old XK engine.

When you've finished the XJC you can send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you....on my drive.

It will be nice to see some cheaper mods for the engine. Get fed up at expensive mods for an extra 5bhp.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:00 PM

What ECU setup you are using?

Individual coils? trigger wheel setup?

What is this motor like to tune, any niggling issues or noise interference problems?

Did you balance all the stock parts? I'd imagine a mass produced motor of this era would greatly benefit from even just weight matching and balancing all stock reciprocating parts.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:01 AM

We're running a FAST classic ECU, we had it here at the shop and I run them in a few other cars, they're older but get the job done for what were trying to accomplish. We run it with a CDI box and high powered coil through the stockish distributor. We don't see any noise issues or tuning hick ups. But you do need to re phase the rotor.
We polished the con rod beams and balanced them. The pistons weren't bad on our motor, very little work on those. We did have the crank and clutch/flywheel balanced when the bottom end was set up. It's definitely a good idea if you're going to thrash on it at redline.
We did look into new valve springs, but the only "performance" springs we could find had no rating posted and when we called them, the sales guy couldn't get it for us either, a bummer for a well know Jaguar house. They were affordable enough, but without the numbers, we didn't know what we were buying. We just shimmed the springs to pick up a few lbs, we figured it was kind of silly to buy springs that have no rating. Ours all tested out within a few lbs. of each other. With the stock cams, our lift wasn't high and we stuck to a 5800 RPM rev limit.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis