XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Another V12 HE "Hard to start when hot" issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 09:26 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Another V12 HE "Hard to start when hot" issue

Hi Gents,

Im still working on my basket case of an 87 V12 'Soverign' saloon

And I know, another V12 hot start thread - but having read a lot on the interwebs I cant find a situation like mine

I have managed to vanquish many of the demons bestowed by the previous owners dismal wiring skills - I don't even know what they were aiming to achieve, but we are back to a mostly factory and running state. Safe to say the car had been significantly screwed with, so nothing is off the cards!

The one issue left is the classic 'hard to start when hot' issue

So far I've confirmed:
  • CTS is in the right range - (250 ohms when hot from memory - in any case its new as is the plug)
  • Spark will jump a good inch from the plug lead in air while cranking - For what its worth the ignition module, pickup, cap and rotor button have been replaced (I regard this as 'maintenance' if you want reliability).
  • TPS is renewed and adjusted correctly
  • Throttle butterflies, AAV, etc all adjusted correctly
  • Fuel pressure is possibly a little low, but at something like 32 psi after the pump primes, and when running.
  • Fuel pressure holds reasonable - 32 psi to 28 psi in the half hour after turning the car off (i.e. it leaked down 4psi in 30 minutes after running, had a few PSI left after about 1.5 hours)
  • Ive confirmed that both the O2 disable and starter cranking signals reach the ECU in the boot while cranking, and work as expected (0v to pin 25 in P and N, 12 volts in gear, 12 volts at pin 26 while cranking - also tried with both disconnected with no change)
  • Not a vapor issue as ive primed the pump numerous times and it doesn't start any easier. pressure is there before cranking
  • I did bench test the injectors with the whole setup a few months back, and nothing was dripping / leaking (not to say that it hasn't started since?)
  • Holding throttle part open while trying to start doesn't help.
It wont start even with prolonged cranking when hot, unless I follow the below sequence:
(bearing in mind I have the top off the starter relay and can crank the engine over by manually depressing the starter relay contacts)

If I leave the ignition switch in the 'off position' and manually crank the starter over for a few seconds while holding the throttle part open, as soon as I switch the ignition on (while still cranking) the engine will fire right up (you need 6 hands and the window down for this procedure).
Essentially I suppose you could say im 'clearing' the cylinders with the fuel injection / ignition disabled before reenabling, at which point it fires right up
Even if I stop the engine for an instant when hot, it wont restart unless the above procedure is followed - this leads me to think its not an leaky injector issue?

Any thoughts? - seems like the ECU might be flooding on hot cranking for some reason? I thought it could be related to the O2 sensors, but the inhibit signal is reaching the ECU.

Also:
  • no cold start injectors (87)
  • there is a random green temp sensor on the 'A' bank that goes nowhere - my understanding is this is for the marelli ignition, which I don't have (maybe someone put a later housing on to replace a corroded one?).
  • the ecu fuel mixture adjustment is basically all the way to the lean adjustment - although playing in the shed doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference between the rich and the lean settings - maybe indicative of an issue?
Thanks for your assistance!

Kind Regards,

Jay

Old 09-27-2020, 10:54 PM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Welcome back, long time between drinks.

You 100% have a Blonde S3.

That cranking manually with the systems OFF, and then instant start, is a new one on me.

I would be checking the Resistor Pack plug/socket. They are notorious for gunging up, and Hot Start is a PITA. I use Lemon Juice, followed by a rinse off with WD40 or similar.

Sparkers, with all those early issues, they will be in sad shape for sure.
Sparkers gap, just make sure you are at 0.025", the HE is Double Blonde if they are too wide.

I will keep thinking.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,876 Likes on 7,153 Posts

Glad you chimed in first, Grant. I'm stumped on this one for sure

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The indented paragraph speaks loudly. It is a voltage issue.

Try an independent source of 12v + to the + post on the coil. then crank normaly.
If it fires right up, that is conformation.

Why is the next question. poor connections, including ground.!!!

OR!!!

Your PO screwed things up that you have not yet fixed.
No volts to the coil on the crank position of the key. Issue at the ignition switch

111Long shot. Advanced ignition timing. Starter kick back, no fire...

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Grant Francis (09-28-2020), Greg in France (09-29-2020)