XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Backfiring through carby's.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Is beautiful, to my eye at least :-) The bike work I mean

Was reading about the beer economy the other day. Gone way past the buying a couple of slabs and having the mates over to put up the pergola, apparently.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:54 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos
Is beautiful, to my eye at least :-) The bike work I mean
Those pipes were a work of art, couldn't believe it when I picked the bike up.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,461 Likes on 5,466 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Very good operator. He has been doing work for me for many years, and our little community here have a great understanding of the local beer economy.

My 2001 XJR1300 below(o1xjr)
Originally Posted by o1xjr
Those pipes were a work of art, couldn't believe it when I picked the bike up.
Yes, Clarke, a work of art! A thing of beauty not fully appreciated by most who see it if they even notice!

Husband tells me Nix's pipes will stay as they are for the foreseeable future. Something about her being on the road, passing SMOG -- and having to replace Wart.

The man can be SO unreasonable!
(';')

Old 01-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

LnrB:

Yeah, the constraints of not winning "power ball"!!!

That is beautiful work on the 4 into 1 down pipes on that bike.

Some years ago, son got the last of the Suzuki fours that looked like motor cycles. The local Suzuki shop "screwed" up the warranty required valve adjustment !!! Ran like ".......".

Son decided to fix it. New more aggressive cams, bored to 1200 CC's. And a four into one exhaust. Old two to two off time and heavy!! Chrome looked good!!!!

Much more power, great sounds. He sold it to a CHP.

As a Dad, I was glad to see it go.....

After SMOG, can you not design and execute a "cat back" system?
You've learned MIG and bends are available. Use the Jag mufflers and resonators. Not bad at all.

At the risk of nosiness and repetition, "Fix Wart and get some more miles".

Carl

Old 01-19-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
LnrB:

Yeah, the constraints of not winning "power ball"!!!
After SMOG, can you not design and execute a "cat back" system?
You've learned MIG and bends are available. Use the Jag mufflers and resonators. Not bad at all.

At the risk of nosiness and repetition, "Fix Wart and get some more miles".

Carl
I could certainly "design" a system such as I want but I don't have access to pipe tools.

What I'll probably do is find that picture someone posted in here a few months ago of a *Perfectly* executed exhaust system on a V8 converted Xj6, print it and take it to an exhaust pro with all the parts he'll need to complete the job.

By that time Spring work will have started and I won't have time.

Fixing Wart will be more expensive than replacing him. He's only worth $1200 on the open market and he'll never be "right" even if we spring for the cheapy fix-it package.

Husband finally got a tail light mounted (cobbled together), doesn't look bad from the back, works correctly and everything. He's way more worried about appearances than I am; as long as I don't get into trouble with The Law I can drive almost anything for a while.

He's already found a replacement van on Craig's List; 2004 Freestar. It's brown. If he buys it, guess what I'll name it.
(';')

Old 01-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Tar
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
He's already found a replacement van on Craig's List; 2004 Freestar. It's brown. If he buys it, guess what I'll name it.
(';')
Hmmm.... let's see...
Windstar = Wart...

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Do we have a censor for "bad" words? Oh, my imagination says a
scientific name would be expressive and pass muster.

Back in the day, even muffler shops did not have benders, wrinkle o mandrel. Merely, a huge stock of prebent pipes, usually tail pipes.
One would collect a pipe that came close. Cut out needed bends and weld up a "set of pipes".

Summit, among others sells bent pipes, usually in the form of "u's".
Those and straight stock enable one with welding stuff and talent to
do a decent job.

The hitch in CA is BAR's ideas on emisions. As previously mentioned, "cat back" was OK at one time.

My 85 F150 was 302 powered and as such came with a two into one cat and thence one back. Son gave me a Walker "two after cat" system. I installed it and made one weld. Now, it had two pipes at the tail. Oddly, as Ford did it, on the same side???

Did I gain anything, I doubt it!!!!

If your town has a good muffler shop, they can make up a decent design that BAR will accept. Who knows what the typical SMOG shop will allow????all they worry about is BAR spies and their license!!!

The whole thing is out of whack. Sniffer pass or fail outta do it????

And, I appreciate clean air as much or more than anybody, I livedin SMOG land for almost a decade!!!!

Anecdote: In about 1948, my pal Billy's dad gave him somemoney to get a "real" car. Billy scored a 40 Chevrolet on auction. A former USGS car. Well worn black. We took it camping a few times. Far easer than the 27 T !!!

Before going off to Texas A & M, he had it painted. Metallic bronze was the "rage". In just after teen terms, "b.... s... brown".
It did look good????

Carl

Carl

Old 01-23-2016, 04:53 AM
Default Another momentary fail to proceed.

In surgery again.

Still got home and up the drive under her own steam!
When I left work this afternoon I detected a hint of a misfire at low revs but once driving all was good, same at the next two sets of lights.

On the freeway doing about 65 mph all seemed good until the last hill before my exit then it started breaking down and back firing then at the top of the hill the engine cut out, so I threw it in N and put on the hazard lights and coasted to my exit about 800 meters down the slope and pulled over on the grass on the of ramp.

Fired her up again and a bit of a cough and splutter and on my way again until the up hill on my street where the misfire and back fire returned,pulled up at my place and positioned the car in the middle of the road(as in across both direction lanes) and took a run up to get up the drive.
To me that is getting home still running so hasn't let me down yet!

First job was to pull the plugs.
3/2/1
Backfiring through carby's.-dsc_5243.jpg

6/5/4
Backfiring through carby's.-dsc_5245.jpg
Do 1/2/3 look lean?...that was my thought.

So I pulled the carby's down for a check and clean. Cleaned the plugs and put it all together.

Backfiring through carby's.-dsc_5246.jpgBackfiring through carby's.-dsc_5247.jpgBackfiring through carby's.-dsc_5248.jpgBackfiring through carby's.-dsc_5250.jpgBackfiring through carby's.-dsc_5251.jpgBackfiring through carby's.-dsc_5252.jpgBackfiring through carby's.-dsc_5254.jpg

Started up , still a hint of a misfire but no backfire. But roadtesting has to wait until sun up as it was after beer o'clock when I got home.
Off to cook chicken and bacon on the bbq now,in the rain. That's Qld for you. Fine all day then rains when you want to go outside.

Any thoughts from you? If it plays up road testing I will check mixture tomorrow.

Last edited by o1xjr; 01-23-2016 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Happy that your previous ignition work is all still in order? Odd that a fuel/mixture issue would degrade so quickly on you. Nice flanny guard protectors by the way :-) I get to inherit all the old tea towels, I dont have sheet rights yet.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Clarke, only one of your 6 plugs looks even close to normal, and that's #4. Even it looks leaner than I like, but the rest are Definitely too lean!

Just a thought, but those carbs look like SUs (original equipment on the Datsun SPL-311 I had). If they are, you could have worn throttle shafts that are allowing air into the manifold After the mixture is set by the metering rods (taper needle).

If this is the case, all the cleaning in the world won't fix the problem. You might have to richen up the fuel mix to overcome the air leak around the worn shafts.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 01-23-2016 at 10:35 PM.
o1xjr (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 02:24 AM

Happy that your previous ignition work is all still in order? Odd that a fuel/mixture issue would degrade so quickly on you. Nice flanny guard protectors by the way :-) I get to inherit all the old tea towels, I dont have sheet rights yet.
Steve, I don't have rights to the sheets in our house either. They are the ones my mother gave me in 1983 when I left home.

Originally Posted by LnrB
If this is the case, all the cleaning in the world won't fix the problem. You might have to richen up the fuel mix to overcome the air leak around the worn shafts.
(';')
Elinor, I knew the cleaning would do little to help. But richening the mixture today made big difference. Short road test today indicated good results but a trip to work on Wednesday will tell for sure.

LnrB (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

Vintage sheets! even better. Glad to hear you are on the improvement path with the beast.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:29 AM

Vintage sheets! even better. Glad to hear you are on the improvement path with the beast.
Just got to treat them gently, they are pretty thin in places these days.

Slowly getting there, just a lot of small issues hit one after the other and not as many days off as I'm used to.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:49 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Have you washed them since you left home???

I'm assuming you rebalanced the carbs at the same time as enrichening the mixture.

If the throttle spindle is leaking you may well get away with fitting new spindles. Worth a try, if not then you will have to rebush them. Replacement of Spindles and Spindle Bushes - SU Carburetters

Parts for AUD 279 for MG M.G.B 1798cc - SU Carburetters - SU Carburetters sell a spindle kit but don't say or show what it includes!!!

Old 01-29-2016, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by anjum
Have you washed them since you left home???

I'm assuming you rebalanced the carbs at the same time as enrichening the mixture.

If the throttle spindle is leaking you may well get away with fitting new spindles. Worth a try, if not then you will have to rebush them. Replacement of Spindles and Spindle Bushes - SU Carburetters

Parts for AUD 279 for MG M.G.B 1798cc - SU Carburetters - SU Carburetters sell a spindle kit but don't say or show what it includes!!!
Yes they have been washed, probably more often now they get used on the jag than when I was living in a rented house with 5 guys in the 80's

Yes, rebalanced at the same time.
Drove to work last night, all seems to be sweet for now.