XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

band adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:47 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Default band adjustment

What happens if I adjust my transmission bands tighter than the 3/4 turn?

Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 AM

I have spent many hours trying to find out what it will do. My thought is that if this band is worn then it should be tighter. I can't find anything that states anything other than the 11/16 or 3/4. I'm guessing that I'll give it a try and see if there is a difference. looking at the blow up pictures, I believe that this band is actually my issue. Just a theory though.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:14 AM

To all who have the vibrating transmission issue. The vibrating issue that I had before(8/9 months ago) and the issue I had 2 days ago has been resolved. I could not find any information about adjusting the bands, other than tighten and back off 11/16-3/4 turn. No where did I find anything contrary to that, over and over and over.
Well I just experimented with the adjustment. This is what I found.
I backed it off 5/8 of a turn and it made it a bit better, I backed it off to 1/2 a turn and wala. The vibration is GONE. I wish I could have done this with the last transmission, I could have saved myself over a thousand dollars and 4 months of searching and replacing transmission.
I truly hope this helps someone else in the future.
I'm sure I will find the long term affects of this later, But if it simply helps for a year or so then I am a happy camper for a year or so. If something goes haywire I will be sure to let you all know. For now all I can say is WOO HOO!!!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by amaezing:
Grant Francis (06-10-2015), littlelic69 (06-09-2015), TheWarlock (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

So you wound it tight then backed off only 1/2 turn in the end?

I guess the reason why it works better with a tighter setting is the fact that the clutch material is old and not as grippy as it was originally, and probably because its also worn more than standard.

Good to know it was an easy fix in the end

Old 06-08-2015, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stoney85
So you wound it tight then backed off only 1/2 turn in the end?

I guess the reason why it works better with a tighter setting is the fact that the clutch material is old and not as grippy as it was originally, and probably because its also worn more than standard.

Good to know it was an easy fix in the end
Correct. I knew that it was worn due to mileage and because of what happened before, so I gave my theory a try and it worked.
What surprised me more than anything is that no one anywhere could tell me what the adjustment was for other than the original setting. I looked at about a dozen different sites and no one could say what the adjustment was for. I found a diagram somewhere and studying it, it was obvious that was where my problem was.
I am glad it was an easy fix also. At least for now it's a delay in replacing the tranny, which helps my bank account for the moment. Also my work requires me to drive quite a bit for moment.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:33 PM

Most auto clutch wear is achieved when the oil is cold, or too hot.

The stock cooler lines go into the radiator, so letting the car warm up before driving will help get some heat into the auto oil a bit quicker, even cycling it through the gears while parked to flush the oil around will help a bit.

Best bet to stop auto wear is to fit a manual gearbox

Old 06-09-2015, 05:43 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stoney85
Most auto clutch wear is achieved when the oil is cold, or too hot.

The stock cooler lines go into the radiator, so letting the car warm up before driving will help get some heat into the auto oil a bit quicker, even cycling it through the gears while parked to flush the oil around will help a bit.

Best bet to stop auto wear is to fit a manual gearbox
I agree, although that is alot of fabrication when going from auto to standard.To go from standard to auto is easy, but I really like mine the way it is..auto.. I have bad knees and clutches kill me in the city driving.
It is in the 80's and 90's here now, so the only warm up I do is wait untill the oil pressure is up. In the winter however, I let it warm up before I do anything. I am not sure why this clutch has worn out so early in life, but then I do not know how the previous owner drove it either. I am planning on rebuilding this tranny now, but I'm glad I found a way to postpone it for a little while. Hopefully I can find instructions in the meantime, I only found 1 place with them and I hope it is accurate. I haven't had good luck in the past with instructions and did most of my rebuilds without them. Turned out well enough, but was always wondering untill I was able to drive.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:51 PM

I wasn't being serious about the manual conversion, way too much hassle

Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 PM

Stoney 85,
No biggie. I hear it all the time. grown used to it.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Amaezing, do you want my old bits? Maybe make one good outta two bad?

The following users liked this post:
amaezing (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by weattg44
Amaezing, do you want my old bits? Maybe make one good outta two bad?
YES. That would be awesome.. I will P.M. you my info, Thank you so much,

Old 06-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,086 Likes on 461 Posts

This is just a thought, but maybe the pressure is low and having that extra 1/4 turn on the band is making up what the pressure cant do anymore! Only way to know would be put pressure gauge on it, but i would at a minimum check the filter! Like i said though, its just a thought!

The following users liked this post:
amaezing (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
This is just a thought, but maybe the pressure is low and having that extra 1/4 turn on the band is making up what the pressure cant do anymore! Only way to know would be put pressure gauge on it, but i would at a minimum check the filter! Like i said though, its just a thought!
I agree somewhat. judging by the last tranny doing the same thing the filter is fine. The last one was basically almost new and had the same problem.
Now the pressure is an issue I didn't think of. I'm going to have to see where I can hook up a gauge and check that.
I also was thinking that maybe the trans cooler is having an issue, but my temp gauge never goes much over 90 so I'm not sure if thats a good thought.
There was also an article somewhere on this or another site that said maybe there is a malfunctioning valve in the throttle body. I thought that the lucas stop leak would free that up though.
I think that I'm going to order a rebuild kit right away so that I have it on hand when I get the chance to rebuild it. I only found one place with a set of directions but im not sure it's a reliable source.

BMW, Jaguar, Peugeot Borg Warner 65-66 Transmission ATSG Rebuild Manual Mini-CD

Anyone dealt with this company before?